User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Least painful android spam blocker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Least painful android spam blocker?

Getting completely inundated with spam calls recently - becoming a real problem for me, as the more sophisticated spammers are using my area code (and even my local exchange) now.
    Any recommendations? Reviews are all over the place for many apps, seems with a lot of them the cure is worse than the disease.

Little help? I have a (Samsung) G6 and an S8, if that matters. Both are running 7.0. If that matters.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Least painful android spam blocker?

I've got an iPhone, but I was looking into these apps recently as well. The iPhone has a 'do not disturb' setting, and mine lives in that setting now. That means any number I don't have saved into my contacts goes straight to voicemail, unless I happen to be looking at the phone when the call comes in, and you can't modify that setting.

Here's a new one for me:

Today I got a text (from my area code) that said "I'm coming over".

"Sounds like a trap" I thought. But I still responded "wrong number"

Five mins later they called my phone twice in a row.

They used the text to confirm it was a real number. They called twice because the default setting on the Do Not Disturb is to allow a 2nd call from the same number to ring. You can turn that off tho, which I did.

Good luck. The robo calls and SPAMers are super damn annoying.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use RoboFence but it is for iPhone. I don't know if there is an Android version. Once installed, you get access to their crowd-sourced database of robo-caller numbers. If any of those numbers call, RoboFence blocks them. And when you get one that isn't on that list, you can file it with RoboFence & block it on your phone in the future. Since installing it, the number of calls has gone way down. The only downside is if one of your contact numbers gets hacked and makes it onto the blocked list. But seems like you'd figure that out eventually.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Getting completely inundated with spam calls recently - becoming a real problem for me, as the more sophisticated spammers are using my area code (and even my local exchange) now.
    Any recommendations? Reviews are all over the place for many apps, seems with a lot of them the cure is worse than the disease.

Little help? I have a (Samsung) G6 and an S8, if that matters. Both are running 7.0. If that matters.
    Thanks in advance.
    The best spam blocker is to set up your device to be silent for all calls except those in your contact list. It could be a problem if you are doing some business with that mobile number and need to be reached by customers that way.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google's Project Fi warns me that a call is spam and supposedly they are going to offer a feature to block any call they think is spam. I can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sophos Antivirus for Android has call blocking that seems to work well...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver