Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cold brew

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
    I do this now : https://perfectdailygrind.com/2019/0...ust-2-minutes/

Delicious cold brew made in 2 minutes with minimal equipement.

enjoy!
    The author of that article doesn't know what he's talking about. The reality is that isn't cold brew, it takes at least 12 hours for the coffee to seep, just like cold brewed tea, while that method you showed is fast it's not having a long enough extraction time to be as good as traditional long brew times. The other thing he said which if completely incorrect too is that cold brew does not use any heat whatsoever, what he's mixing up in his terminology is iced coffee, where you brew a hot cup of coffee then pour over ice, that isn't cold brewed. I understand too that they were stirring it rather briskly, but again it's the soaking of the coffee for a long time that makes the cold brew process work. Look, if there was a fast way of making cold brew coffee, coffee places would have discovered that a long time ago. If you look at the picture of the coffee coming out of the pitcher you can see that the coffee is very light in the glass container as well as that which is being poured out, cold brewed for 12 hours or more would be black with hardly any light going through it and the pour would also be black. I suppose if you like your coffee weak well then that would work just fine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to this paper (in Nature of all places) the expected extract yield for optimised cold brew is 15 to 20 %.

Strikes me that it would be very easy to test the yield of the Aeropress method. I'll do so tomorrow if I get time.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rainy rider View Post
    I'm super cheap so I just use any old 64 oz juice bottle. I pour one cup coarse ground coffee in along with 4 cups water and agitate to make sure all grounds are wet. I then put it in fridge for 18 to 24 houra. I pour it all through a standard coffee filter that ia lining a pour over into another container. I then cut the concentrate to taste with water for my wife or juat pour over a little ice for me.
    I have been craving some cold brew lately but will wait till we finish our bottle of juice.
    This has been my technique for the past month or so, and I'm no tasting expert, but I find the results very satisfying. I am using canning jars for mine - both to brew and store it.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    The author of that article doesn't know what he's talking about. The reality is that isn't cold brew, it takes at least 12 hours for the coffee to seep, just like cold brewed tea, while that method you showed is fast it's not having a long enough extraction time to be as good as traditional long brew times. The other thing he said which if completely incorrect too is that cold brew does not use any heat whatsoever, what he's mixing up in his terminology is iced coffee, where you brew a hot cup of coffee then pour over ice, that isn't cold brewed. I understand too that they were stirring it rather briskly, but again it's the soaking of the coffee for a long time that makes the cold brew process work. Look, if there was a fast way of making cold brew coffee, coffee places would have discovered that a long time ago. If you look at the picture of the coffee coming out of the pitcher you can see that the coffee is very light in the glass container as well as that which is being poured out, cold brewed for 12 hours or more would be black with hardly any light going through it and the pour would also be black. I suppose if you like your coffee weak well then that would work just fine!
    Well, I'm doing this method a few times a week during summer and the results are quite good to me. I guess that scientificaly speaking it does not qualify as a real cold brew, but the taste is definitely there. I also tried leaving my grounds soaking 24 hours in my aeropress in the refregirator, quite similar.

Maybe the commercial places where I bought cold brew were not very good or maybe I have low expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I had a crack at measuring this and the results were....inconclusive.

20.0 g of ground coffee into 100 ml of distilled water at 20.0 oC, stirred for one minute, pressed through the aeropress then diluted back to 100 g with distilled water. TDS measured at 2.42% so an extract yield of 12.1%, short of the 15-20 % optimal range.

On the other hand the grind I used was probably a bit coarse so it might be possible to get closer with a bit of faffing around. Not sure I have time for that right now.

Flavour wise the result was underwhelming but I've thought that about every cold brew I've tried so that's not conclusive either.

Since I was playing with coffeee in the lab I decided to try and see if further agitation made much of a difference. I repeated the procedure but substituted one minute in an ultrasonic bath at 20 oC for the one minute stir. Extract yield was about the same but the taste was very different: still thin and pissy but with an extra layer of harshness, very unpleasant.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
    Well, I'm doing this method a few times a week during summer and the results are quite good to me. I guess that scientificaly speaking it does not qualify as a real cold brew, but the taste is definitely there. I also tried leaving my grounds soaking 24 hours in my aeropress in the refregirator, quite similar.

Maybe the commercial places where I bought cold brew were not very good or maybe I have low expectations.
    I have an Aeropress, so I tried the fast brew stunt and the coffee taste to me was dismal compared to my cold brewer, it was weak and thin, but I'm use to strong flavored coffee so someone who is not may find it perfectly satisfying. The typical hot brew through the Aeropress makes the coffee a lot better then the cold fast method.

Of course if you leave the coffee in the Aeropress for 24 hours well then it's simply a cold brewed coffee like I get using my cold brewer, but not after 2 or 3 minutes of stirring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Toddy has seen lots of use since we bought it.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

my Toddy is from the last century. pretty good return on investment. If folks haven't tried it yet, the Louisiana style coffee and chicory makes a dark strong brew. Not a gourmet blend by any means but decent for pre-ground
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drip, drip, drip....reminded me of titration in the high school chemistry lab.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12