Page 1 of 69 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Vsalonistas. Please share journalism of the day you find compelling.
    Brief comments appreciated, not required.

The consequences of mankind cruelty passes over us like a wave. When the suffocation retreats what is left after many years?. Memories, historical references, physical scars???? Memorials such as the one described in this article are made real by artists and visionaries who force us to stare wide eyed. These are lasting, these force us to feel and see what was.

This >> A Lynching Memorial Is Opening. The Country Has Never Seen Anything Like It. - The New York Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

This should be great, TT, awesome idea.

Read this yesterday :: https://bittersoutherner.com/the-red...quila-ogletree

I grew up ~35 miles from there, and my world was/is completely different. The 'typical a-hole white guy' in me does wonder where the parents of all those grand kids are, why shes stuck with them, what decisions lead to the current circumstances. I was raised to believe that we're all the result of the decisions we make - good or bad, and we are solely responsible for those decisions. I still believe that to be largely true, but as I try to be more empathetic and understanding of others I also know that things outside our control have a big impact on the decisions we make and the way we look at the world. The older I get the more I realize just how lucky I am the have the upbringing I had. The love, discipline, and expectations my parents had (and still have) for me are the reason I am who I am today. I'm eternally thankful for that.

There's a lot of good stuff on The Bitter Southerner actually, highly recommend browsing around a bit.

A semi-friend of mine wrote this. He's a rider too.

Looking For An Oasis In Georgia Food Deserts | Georgia Public Broadcasting

Again...access to transportation or food has never been a problem in 'my' world. One thing I have noticed in the local news media is how some folks seem to make Kroger out to be the bad guy, but they're a business, they *have* to make a profit in order to operate. They closed the store because it wasn't making a profit. High theft rate and a lot of frivolous slip and fall lawsuits apparently.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 04-25-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent share D.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the intense pleasure of hearing Bryan Stevenson speak to my synagogue a few years back. He is, without a doubt, one of the most impressive human beings I've ever heard speak. He is a truly remarkable person and I would dive deep into anything he chooses to be part of.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    This should be great, TT, awesome idea.

Read this yesterday :: https://bittersoutherner.com/the-red...quila-ogletree

where the parents of all those grand kids are, why shes stuck with them, what decisions lead to the current circumstances.
    that was a good read.
    idk why but two words in that read really stood out to me..."trap houses"
    the idea of trapping people in their community in a cycle of drug addiction and sex work to make money from their addiction is so gnarly.
    i also can't help but see it as a similar action to what the pharma companies did with oxycontin and fentanyl.

this was a pretty good read.
    The Family That Built an Empire of Pain | The New Yorker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    that was a good read.
    idk why but two words in that read really stood out to me..."trap houses"]
    This is a tourist attraction in Atlanta!

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I listened to this interview driving north to go skiing last week, and hung in the car to finish it.
    WAMC's Alan Chartock In Conversation With Yale Professor Timothy Snyder About His New Book | WAMC
    This is nutrient dense. Your time will not be wasted. After I finish reading CV Wedgwood's three volume history of the English Civil War I will move on to his recent book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bryan Stevenson and the Legacy of Lynching | The New Yorker

This too.

I am so glad that I took to the bike as a kid. Keeps the lid on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see that as well CookieTruck. The drug combination itself is insidious. (more on that: 'You want a description of hell?' OxyContin's 12-hour problem #InvestigatingOxy - Los Angeles Times )

One of my clients gave me this: Longreads (@Longreads) on Twitter My first day reading the feed, I can tell it will be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I listened to this interview driving north to go skiing last week, and hung in the car to finish it.
    WAMC's Alan Chartock In Conversation With Yale Professor Timothy Snyder About His New Book | WAMC
    This is nutrient dense. Your time will not be wasted. After I finish reading CV Wedgwood's three volume history of the English Civil War I will move on to his recent book.
    Tomothy Snyder's Bloodlands is an incredible book. Well-researched/well-argued, illuminating, devastating, all the above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 Seconds : NPR

In my opinion is is an excellent piece of journalism. It looks into the police shooting of Philando Castile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One problem solved. I just found a smokin' deal on The New Yorker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photos, not print, but insight you'd never be able to get otherwise:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...-marai/559241/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Poison Papers shows how we can't trust that what we are told is safe actually is. Follow the Benjamins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    The Poison Papers shows how we can't trust that what we are told is safe actually is. Follow the Benjamins.
    Thanks. I'll finish this over a large coffee.

Speaking of following the Benjamins. This is not mind blowing by any means. However, the method or motivation for so called white collar crime is less insidious than we may want to believe. I liken this to folks selling their excess employee provided transportation vouchers justified as a benefit "owed" to them thus is theirs to own or trade. Morality, what the is it really????

Too many words. Here is the beef >> The Baby-Formula Crime Ring - The New York Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just plowed through this New York Times Magazine article titled "The Man Who Cracked The Lottery" - a brilliant read - can someone paste the link? How do non-subscribers access?

Permalink below just in case

https://nyti.ms/2KvNzZf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Just plowed through this New York Times Magazine article titled "The Man Who Cracked The Lottery" - a brilliant read - can someone paste the link? How do non-subscribers access?

Permalink below just in case

https://nyti.ms/2KvNzZf
    I think you must have a subscription.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    2,4,D and @,4,5,T were common agricultural chemicals in my grandparents' time, and were applied to the alfalfa fields around their house. He developed cancer around 60 and died three years later. My aunt recovered from throat cancer that had a remission rate of .04%, and remains a miracle.

These were sprayed along roadsides when I was farming in Norcal in the '70's, and were also used in the understory of woodlands in the interest of fire prevention. I remember riding past the spraying once, and I developed a nasty bronchial infection after.

Modern farming devolved from the arms industry. Zyklon was a pesticide that had a tell-tale odor, so it was reformulated as Zyklon-B, which was odorless. The rest is history.

We are winning the war on Nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, not exactly journalism, per se, but this, from Jacquie Phelan, really brightened my morning:

May 19, 2018
    Charlie (for the first time ever) suggested we take out the tandem. This is "huge" (forgive the shopworn cliche)
    because normally he's not initiating stuff.
    But he's heard me on the phone with the folks at RAGBRAI (yes, we're going to ride the biggest bike ride across a deceptively hilly "flat state": Iowa, this summer. To see we can survive such a challenge, especially since Charlie 1.0 never ever traveled with me.
    It happened to be a cool, half-sunny spring day. Wind defined it. The Nicasio Reservoir loop probably climbs a total of 1,200 ft, most of it right out of town up White's Hill.
    As we twiddled in the tiny gear, motor traffic boomed past like a string of bomber airplanes one after the other. Then, a spell of 3, 5, maybe even 7 seconds of silence blessed us as we rode. Must be because of the traffic lights down in town, sending up pulses of noisemaking machines.
    Around the reservoir, we cut through the wind like a dull knife cuts through a five-lb block of Tillamook medium cheddar. The blackish-green reservoir's surface had long white stretch marks running the length of the lake. Usually you see little transverse waves, but these 'corduroy' wavelets must be a result of strong wind...meanwhile, up on the farmland that curves high above the road, stripes of green alfalfa and gold chaff lay just like they do in England. We really do have it all here.
    The long green grass was being tousled by the wind in gorgeous waves. Sometimes the wind took a breather, and the grass would come to a halt.
    We twiddled on.
    We're experimenting with gel saddle covers on TOP of gooshy gel saddles to relieve Charlie's crotchly pain.
    I have been soldiering on, ignoring my whimpering pubic bones, and finally realized that a "Flite" saddle is not anything like the superb, very old and out-of-print saddles on each of my bikes (brand name not forthcoming).
    Our friend Tasshi D. dropped by and I had him put my 'good' saddle on the Red Rover tandem, and I can't wait to try it out.
    We've been on a roughly once a week riding routine, but since RAGBRAI is ahem seven straight days of about 60 miles (our loop is..ulp..32 miles) I figure I'll have to up it, and hope CC doesn't howl. He enthused about flowers ("is that a convolvulus?" he'd ask, as we whizzed past a little patch of pinkish white trumpets that were in fact convolvulus.
    Baby steps
    Help spread the word!

Page 1 of 69 1234567891011 ... LastLast