Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1377

Thread: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Charles Eisenstein essays, Coronation is a good starting place.

https://charleseisenstein.org/essays/
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long-Concealed Records Show Trump’s Chronic Losses and Years of Tax Avoidance | New York Times

"Donald J. Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes the year he won the presidency. In his first year in the White House, he paid another $750.

He had paid no income taxes at all in 10 of the previous 15 years — largely because he reported losing much more money than he made.

As the president wages a re-election campaign that polls say he is in danger of losing, his finances are under stress, beset by losses and hundreds of millions of dollars in debt coming due that he has personally guaranteed. Also hanging over him is a decade-long audit battle with the Internal Revenue Service over the legitimacy of a $72.9 million tax refund that he claimed, and received, after declaring huge losses. An adverse ruling could cost him more than $100 million.

The tax returns that Mr. Trump has long fought to keep private tell a story fundamentally different from the one he has sold to the American public. His reports to the I.R.S. portray a businessman who takes in hundreds of millions of dollars a year yet racks up chronic losses that he aggressively employs to avoid paying taxes. Now, with his financial challenges mounting, the records show that he depends more and more on making money from businesses that put him in potential and often direct conflict of interest with his job as president.

The New York Times has obtained tax-return data extending over more than two decades for Mr. Trump and the hundreds of companies that make up his business organization, including detailed information from his first two years in office. It does not include his personal returns for 2018 or 2019. This article offers an overview of The Times’s findings; additional articles will be published in the coming weeks.

The returns are some of the most sought-after, and speculated-about, records in recent memory. In Mr. Trump’s nearly four years in office — and across his endlessly hyped decades in the public eye — journalists, prosecutors, opposition politicians and conspiracists have, with limited success, sought to excavate the enigmas of his finances. By their very nature, the filings will leave many questions unanswered, many questioners unfulfilled. They comprise information that Mr. Trump has disclosed to the I.R.S., not the findings of an independent financial examination. They report that Mr. Trump owns hundreds of millions of dollars in valuable assets, but they do not reveal his true wealth. Nor do they reveal any previously unreported connections to Russia."
    Last edited by guido; 09-27-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great timing, two days before the debate.

I think Judge Barret should be asked what her position is on tax cheats, adultery, rape, etc, etc.

Suffer Donald.

You have earned it.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now for something completely different.

I am putting it here because I figure the folks who read the coffee threads wouldn’t use this kind of machine. ;-)

I am not an engineer so I found this fascinating and frightening. Perhaps even an engineer would find it interesting and prophetic...

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ansom-machine/
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside the Lincoln Project’s War Against Trump | The New Yorker

"The week of Labor Day, the founders of the Lincoln Project, a super PAC of Republican operatives who have disavowed their own party in order to defeat President Donald Trump, set up a war room in a location far outside Washington, D.C. Since January, the group, whose founders include the consultants Steve Schmidt and Rick Wilson, had been targeting Trump with the kind of merciless ads that the strategists had aimed at Democratic candidates throughout their careers. A spot titled “Regret” features the comedian David Cross offering such a long list of Trump’s flaws—“the blatant racism, and the crass sexism, and the deranged narcissism, and pandering to Nazis”—that the recitation is still unspooling as the ad fades out. This type of message is aimed at convincing Republican voters that Trump’s dangerous and divisive impulses imperil the country. Another type of ad is designed to unsettle a single viewer—the President himself—and often appears during TV programs he is likely to watch. “Shrinking” directly addresses Trump, saying, of his notorious Tulsa campaign rally, in June, “You’ve probably heard this before, but it was smaller than we expected.” The founders knew that they were getting to the President when he started tweeting and talking about them, predictably calling their organization the Losers Project.

The founders, who consider themselves Trump “anthropologists,” try to predict the President’s missteps, stockpiling material that can be deployed at the ideal moment. A recent spot, “P.O.W.,” contrasted images of honorable military service with Trump’s denigration of people in the armed forces. The ad débuted shortly before The Atlantic reported that Trump, during a 2018 trip to France, had refused to visit an American cemetery and had referred to the war dead as “suckers.” In the ensuing public outcry, the Lincoln Project tweeted, “Let’s show @realDonaldTrump what real heroes look like,” and asked its followers to tweet photographs of veterans, hashtagged #WeRespectVets. Within an hour, the hashtag had become the leading Politics topic on Twitter.

On September 9th, the group released an ad about the South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham, “Parasite,” in which gruesome footage of feasting maggots is accompanied by narration mocking Graham’s obeisance to Trump: “Parasites don’t care if they feed off a good host—or an evil one.” "
    Last edited by guido; 10-05-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The editorial board of the New York Times wrote a scathing rebuke of Donald Trump saying he is a threat to our Democracy and the worst president ever. This article can be accessed without a subscription.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C-Span, After Words interview with John Brennan.

The man is very good at saying things by leaving them out.
    The comparison of briefing several Presidents is very interesting.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475735...s-john-brennan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Illuminating in a different way maybe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1be_story.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Illuminating in a different way maybe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1be_story.html
    "There are no bad days when this is in front of your house.”
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a very uplifting photo-journalism piece.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...mments-wrapper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marshall Allen is 96 years old and still leading one of the most visionary jazz groups of all time | Washington Post

"In certain ways, Marshall Allen has passed the time during the pandemic like most of us have. He leaves his house just to take quick strolls around the neighborhood for some fresh air and exercise. As month after month passes, many of us have understandably grown bored during quarantine. But Allen — the 96-year-old jazz legend who for the past quarter-century has served as the leader of one of the genre’s most essential groups, the Sun Ra Arkestra — has embraced the current situation by spending hours each day playing music. If he hasn’t gotten bored after 80 years of that, he’s not about to start now.

Allen remains wondrously optimistic, always eager to find new possibilities in every note. Using this time to stay sharp on an orchestra’s worth of instruments, he further hones the skills that have made him one of the most enduring figures in jazz.

“I’ve got 15 to 20 instruments I gotta play,” Allen says with great exuberance during a phone conversation in late August. “Oboe, flute, piccolo, trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, baritone, three or four altos, soprano. . . . I even got my kora to play during the day,” he says of the traditional West African string instrument, which he happily starts plucking at one point. “I’ve got enough instruments to keep me busy 24 hours a day.”
    Last edited by guido; 10-31-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone's heard of the whale tale holding up the runaway train. But this is an article that is fascinating on the origins of the whale and how it was designed which is why it held up the train. There are some engineering minds and materials minds on this board, I am putting this here in case anyone missed it. A really cool story. Who knew it was part of an engineering competition. Eigen Frequency. 3D printing two decades ago. Amazing that the thing is only 6mm thick. And so on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nishand...unaway-train/?
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit of thread drift, but the day needs it:

There's a series of railroad bridges where I live built when locomotives weighed 12000 lbs. They've been in continuous use since constructed, and locomotives weigh 450,000 lbs now. I asked an engineer friend how this was possible, and his response was, "they didn't have finite element analysis."

Visiting them makes for a great ride.

https://keystonearches.com/
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Everyone's heard of the whale tale holding up the runaway train. But this is an article that is fascinating on the origins of the whale and how it was designed which is why it held up the train. There are some engineering minds and materials minds on this board, I am putting this here in case anyone missed it. A really cool story. Who knew it was part of an engineering competition. Eigen Frequency. 3D printing two decades ago. Amazing that the thing is only 6mm thick. And so on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nishand...unaway-train/?
    well, I hadn't heard of this, and enjoyed the article, so THANKS! I do wish it had been even more in-depth on the structural method and the wind forces etc. Anyone, know--is the damage on the front of that train from hitting the tail?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    A bit of thread drift, but the day needs it:

There's a series of railroad bridges where I live built when locomotives weighed 12000 lbs. They've been in continuous use since constructed, and locomotives weigh 450,000 lbs now. I asked an engineer friend how this was possible, and his response was, "they didn't have finite element analysis."

Visiting them makes for a great ride.

https://keystonearches.com/
    I have heard of these with a vague notion to go see them some day. Thanks for the info/kick in the pants to drag my SO into the car and go do it...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

‘Make liberals cry again’ became the battle hymn of the Republicans under Trump | Washington Post

"“Let’s make liberals cry again!” Donald Trump Jr., the saddest adult son, encouraged crowds at an election-eve rally in Wisconsin. His father, meanwhile, went on to a different Midwestern rally to fondly reminisce about the time in 2016 when liberal women wept at the announcement of his victory: “At the end of the evening when they’re all crying, and I remember they were crying,” he asked Grand Rapids, Mich. “Remember?”

On Tuesday night, 25-year-old Republican Madison Cawthorn won a North Carolina district and, in his first public act as a future U.S. congressman, tweeted: “Cry more, lib.”

“MAKE LIBERALS CRY AGAIN,” reads a whole mess of muscle T’s and travel mugs and baby onesies for sale on Etsy.

To point out that this is juvenile and mean and weird doesn’t get at the half of it. “Make liberals cry again” is the more synergistic, ball-cap-friendly version of “Own the libs.” A version of “Make America Great Again” that does away with the gauzy nostalgia and goes right for the bad sportsmanship. It is the version one uses when one wants to drop the pretense that this is about America at all and just acknowledge that it’s about reveling in someone else’s pain and perceived humiliation."
    Last edited by guido; 11-07-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump's last-minute environmental rules changes may make things hard for Biden | Washington Post

"Biden has promised to undo many of the regulatory rollbacks completed over the past fours years. But some of the Trump administration's under-the-wire rules could end up hampering the Biden administration from aggressively tackling climate change and other issues right out of the gate.

“The last gasps of the administration,” said David J. Hayes, executive director of the State Energy and Environmental Impact Center at the New York University School of Law, “have the potential to either be a speed bump or a potential roadblock for the new administration coming in.” His group has launched the “Midnight Watch Project” to track the end-of-term efforts.
    One of the first of the last-minute moves since Election Day is in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The Interior Department is set this week to ask oil and gas companies to choose where they want to drill in the untouched Alaskan wilderness. Should the Trump administration sell drilling rights within the refuge before Jan. 20, it may be very hard for Biden's team to take back those leases.

In 2017, Republicans in Congress opened nearly 1.6 million acres of caribou and polar bear habitat there to potential petroleum extraction. But it has taken until this year for the department to be ready to hold a sale on drilling rights.

Frank Macchiarola, senior vice president of policy, economics and regulatory affairs at the American Petroleum Institute, told my colleague Juliet Eilperin that Trump's team is “under a tight timeline.” But he added that the department is on legally solid footing: “Our view is that Congress has acted.”

Yet despite the 2017 law mandating a lease sale, Biden has promised to oppose drilling in the refuge, calling it “a big disaster to do that.”
    When it's all said and done, the Trump administration may finish a dozen significant actions before Biden's inauguration.

In addition to potentially leasing within the Arctic refuge, officials aim to complete a plan to open up another vast area in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska to drilling and to auction off extraction rights on more than 4,100 acres in central California on Dec. 10.

Interior may also formalize a more narrow definition of habitat for endangered species before Jan. 20. It could also further water down prohibitions on the incidental killing of migratory birds — a change long sought by some oil companies whose uncovered oil waste pits attract waterfowl.

At the Energy Department, officials may exempt some clothes washers and dryers from energy-efficiency requirements and change the definition of a showerhead to allow more water to flow before Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris take office.

In previous speeches, Trump has complained about how he needs the right shower to maintain his “perfect” hair. Andrew deLaski, head of the energy conservation group Appliance Standards Awareness Project, called the nearly finalized move “policymaking to address the president's pet peeves.”"
    Last edited by guido; 11-17-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump Plan to Sell Arctic Oil Leases Will Face Challenges | New York Times

"Even if in its waning days the Trump administration succeeds in selling oil and gas leases in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, the leases may never be issued, legal and other experts said Tuesday.

The leases would face strong and likely insurmountable headwinds from two directions: the incoming Biden administration and the courts, they said.

Under new leadership, several federal agencies could reject the leases, which even if purchased at an auction a few days before Inauguration Day would be subject to review, a process that usually takes several months.

Mr. Biden vowed during the campaign to oppose oil and gas development in the refuge, a vast expanse of virtually untouched land in northeast Alaska that is home to polar bears, caribou and other wildlife.

“President-elect Biden has made it clear that protecting the Arctic refuge from drilling is important to him,” said Brook Brisson, a senior staff attorney with Trustees for Alaska, a nonprofit public-interest law firm. “We trust that means his administration will use its executive authority to do just that.”

But if for some reason after those reviews the new administration did not reject the leases, they could also be overturned in court. There are already four lawsuits against the Trump administration’s actions relating to oil and gas development in the refuge, including one filed by Ms. Brisson’s group on behalf of Alaska Native and environmental organizations.

“Whoever wins these leases will walk into a minefield of litigation,” said Michael Gerrard, founder of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at the Columbia Law School.

Mr. Gerrard said the Trump administration has lost several similar cases involving oil and gas leasing in Western states, due largely to its poor handling of the required legal steps. “The haste with which it’s trying to ram through these leases could lead to still more mistakes that the opponents’ lawyers will jump on,” he said.

With the publishing of a “call for nominations” in the Federal Register on Tuesday, the Bureau of Land Management officially initiated the lease-sale program for the refuge. The document seeks comment from oil companies and other parties as to their interest in leasing specific parts of the refuge’s coastal plain, which covers 1.5 million acres along the Arctic Ocean.

The area is thought to overlie reserves containing billions of gallons of oil. For decades it was protected by law from drilling, but it was opened to potential development in 2017 by the administration and the Republican-led Congress.

The decision to start the lease-sale program was hailed by oil industry groups and by members of Alaska’s Congressional delegation, who have long pursued drilling in the refuge for the jobs and revenue it could bring. The Interior Department, which includes the Bureau of Land Management, said it had “taken a significant step in meeting our obligations by determining where and under what conditions the oil and gas development program will occur.”

Following the comment period, which ends December 17, the bureau could quickly announce a sale that could be held 30 days later — or just a few days before Jan. 20, when Mr. Trump’s term ends.

That is a very tight time frame, which would probably necessitate the Bureau of Land Management ignoring the comments for the most part and offering rights to all the tracts in the coastal plain for sale. The environmental impact statement for the leasing plan, which was approved by the Interior Department in August, recommended that all tracts should be made available.

The auction would be conducted on a single day, using sealed bids. Regulations call for the winning bids to be reviewed by the Bureau of Land Management to determine, among other things, the bidders’ capabilities for undertaking oil and gas exploration on the land. The winning bids would also be forwarded to the Justice Department to review any possible antitrust issues.

“Ordinarily after an auction it takes two to three months to execute leases,” said Niel Lawrence, Alaska director for the Natural Resources Defense Council. Even preparing the documents for signing can take time, he said.

That timetable would push the review into the early months of the Biden administration, he said. Even if the Justice Department review found no antitrust concerns, the Bureau of Land Management could reject the leases, he said.

But Mr. Lawrence said there was always the possibility that the Trump administration could flout the rules and accept the leases immediately after the auction.

“Nobody should underestimate the Trump administration’s desire to cut legal corners,” he said. “It would be rash to predict that they won’t sign leases between the auction and the inauguration.”

“But that would be flatly illegal,” he added, and grounds for more court action.

Plenty of legal briefs have already been filed concerning the administration’s plans for the refuge. The four current suits were filed after the Interior Department approved the final environmental impact statement in August, setting the stage for the lease sales."
    Last edited by guido; 11-18-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Trump administration rules could allow more logging and roadbuilding in the nation’s forests | Washington Post

"In a last minute change before leaving office, the Trump administration finalized a rule Wednesday that will allow the U.S. Forest Service to log and otherwise manage 2,800 acres of forest in the West without an environmental review.

Agriculture Department Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement that the Forest Service, which he oversees, needs the rule change to “improve our ability to maintain and repair the infrastructure people depend on to use and enjoy their national forests — such as roads, trails, campgrounds and other facilities.”

But conservationists say the impact of the rule change goes far beyond a single parcel of 2,800 acres. The rule weakens requirements under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) that compel the Forest Service to study the potential environmental harm of approved developments and to publicly share that scientific analysis so the public can submit informed comments on the proposed work.

The rule change, which goes into effect Thursday, gives Forest Service officials broad authority to use loopholes called categorical exclusions to bypass NEPA requirements. Categorical exclusions are projects deemed to have no environmental impact, and as the rule is written, they can be applied across the nearly 200 million acres of forest that the Forest Service manages.

“We’re not talking about using the exclusion once,” said Alison Flint, a senior attorney for the Wilderness Society. “This is an authority that can be used successively over and over again throughout the 193-million acre national forest system and in wildly varying circumstances.”

Categorical exclusions are a “permission slip” for loggers to cut trees and developers to build roads without informing local communities of the work, Flint said. Forests are a source of drinking water for more than 150 million people.

NEPA “is designed to make sure the wrong things don’t happen in the wrong places. Today’s rule undercuts that role,” she said."
    Last edited by guido; 11-19-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)