User Tag List

Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    It's time to put the screws to your Members of Congress. One of mine characterizes the impeachment investigation as a sham. Not wanting to leave anyone out this was my reply to my congressman and representatives: You, Trump and his enablers are the sham and your constituents are increasingly becoming aware of that fact. Any modestly intelligent adult who isn't ideologically blinded and has bothered to read the Mueller Report OR the information pertaining to this Ukraine affair knows that Trump has committed numerous impeachable offenses and that he should be removed from office. That this sort of devotion to a person who has done nothing but demonstrate a complete lack of fitness for any office of the public trust comes from a Constitutional absolutist can only mean that you are nothing but a liar and demagogue. You have betrayed us all in pursuit of overturning Roe v Wade and generally foisting your pseudo Christian idea of what the USA should be onto the rest of us. Adam Schiff and the Democratic Party are doing what is required of them.
    Mr. Taylor's statement is as damning as could be. And while I agree with your sentiments, I don't believe they are likely to persuade those who need persuading. Candidly, I don't believe some of them are even persuadable, but those who are or might be are not likely to respond well to your message. My tack is to pretend that while I otherwise would (or might) vote for them, I am not likely to do so because they aren't upholding their oath of office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Mr. Taylor's statement is as damning as could be. And while I agree with your sentiments, I don't believe they are likely to persuade those who need persuading. Candidly, I don't believe some of them are even persuadable, but those who are or might be are not likely to respond well to your message. My tack is to pretend that while I otherwise would (or might) vote for them, I am not likely to do so because they aren't upholding their oath of office.
    I allowed myself to be undisciplined and outwardly angry but blowing off some steam pressure was worthwhile. Your tack is more productive.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scientists warned the President about global warming 5 years ago today | Dana Nuccitelli | Environment | The Guardian

Imagine where humanity could be if we'd adjusted course only modestly back then, and been a skosh wiser as it relates to foreign policies, wars and such as that.

We're a lot of years older but not too much wiser.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the mid '70s the scientists working for Exon had predicted to within a degree or so what the effects of their business model would have on the global climate. The company had a clear choice to find alternative energy sources or to commit to the oil/gas solution.

Their accurately informed decision doomed us all. The case getting underway in New York may finally start to hold them to account...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A US citizen discovers that when evaluated on an apples to apples service basis, irrespective of whether the funding is via taxes or private pay, our effective tax rates are not so different!

Going Dutch - How I Learned to Love the European Welfare State. - NYTimes.com

And vis-a-vis Medicare for All a couple of economics professors weigh in on cost: Make no mistake: Medicare for All would cut taxes for most Americans | Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman | Opinion | The Guardian
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    University of Chicago economist Katherine Baicker told us in July. "On net, some people are going to be much better off, and some people are going to be much worse off — and overall taxes will have to rise substantially."

The cost of Medicare for All: Sticker shock or bill relief? | PolitiFact

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    edit

University of Chicago economist Katherine Baicker told us in July. "On net, some people are going to be much better off, and some people are going to be much worse off — and overall taxes will have to rise substantially."

If you look at it from the perspective of simply redirecting employer and employee health care insurance contributions to "taxes", but reduced to reflect the fact that single payer has a per capita cost of about 2/3 of what we pay then you'll see that, overall, we save $. If structured properly, and by that I mean that the uber rich would indeed see their taxes rise, then the vast majority of us would pay less and have cradle to grave coverage.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not journalism per se, but as a former journalist I don't really "do" "journalism" any more. :)

Here's instead a wonderful essay on words and how they work. I love what the Wittgensteinians are up to:
    Why meaning is more sunken into words than we realise | Aeon Essays

To bring it back to bikes: with the exception of the hard "K" sound of a Chris Kelly that came through my stable in the past couple years, I went on a years-long kick with only "s" (say it with me, 'essssss')-sound bikes. A Sycip. A Tsunami. A Serotta. A Cielo. Ess. Embedded deep in the "s" sound itself is ... sssspeeed.

Wisht I'd had a Speedvagen.
    Last edited by deano; 10-25-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by j44ke; 10-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah

geez

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Her wording is misleading. "Some" does not equal "some" when it's a few gazillionaires (who would remain gazillionaires) vs tens of millions for whom the difference is life vs death, or bankruptcy vs long-term disability. Her insistent focus on the trigger phrase "taxes go up" is also annoying. I don't care if I pay $x to this insurer vs that insurer; I care what the <x> is, whether I get medically justified care, whether I might have to choose between bankruptcy and misery, and whether I have to fight a maze of fake 'choices' all designed to guarantee profit, not care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“35.7% of those at Beaufort County Detention Center were incarcerated because of municipal charges. 0% had public defenders.”

How Local Courts Sidestep The Right To An Attorney - Law36
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Her wording is misleading. "Some" does not equal "some" when it's a few gazillionaires (who would remain gazillionaires) vs tens of millions for whom the difference is life vs death, or bankruptcy vs long-term disability. Her insistent focus on the trigger phrase "taxes go up" is also annoying. I don't care if I pay $x to this insurer vs that insurer; I care what the <x> is, whether I get medically justified care, whether I might have to choose between bankruptcy and misery, and whether I have to fight a maze of fake 'choices' all designed to guarantee profit, not care.
    The big picture discussion is that anticipated costs savings very well may not materialize and proposed revenue collection will fall short by a wide margin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big picture discussion is that anticipated costs savings very well may not materialize and proposed revenue collection will fall short by a wide margin.
    Only if we let the billionaires get away with paying a lower effective tax rate than the working class, which is what is happening right now. And only if we keep blowing untold money on the military and spy apparatus for boondoggles like the F-35 and spare Hubble-class telescopes sitting in warehouses. And only if we keep blowing it on bailing out the banks that tanked the economy. We have more than enough money to build a fully functional society for 99.999% of people, but we're bowing down to what a few wealthy psychopaths want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Only if we let the billionaires get away with paying a lower effective tax rate than the working class, which is what is happening right now. And only if we keep blowing untold money on the military and spy apparatus for boondoggles like the F-35 and spare Hubble-class telescopes sitting in warehouses. And only if we keep blowing it on bailing out the banks that tanked the economy. We have more than enough money to build a fully functional society for 99.999% of people, but we're bowing down to what a few wealthy psychopaths want.