0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two articles about very different things and both worried me this morning....

Inside the Elementary School Where Drug Addiction Sets the Curriculum - The New York Times

And one in a place I doubt many read. When one thinks about the fact that only between 6 and 11 percent of Europe’s pre-war Jewish children survived the Holocaust, the NYPD role in dismantling this, and what the very issue itself says about our society there is a lot to think about regarding the areas touched here....

NYC calls cops on caged-children agency stunt | AdAge
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter works at an addition treatment center. She's twenty, and is interested in studying the psychology of addiction when she goes to college. Her day is spent in life and death situations. She was mature for her age before this, and has grown incredibly since starting working there, at the very bottom of the ladder: housekeeping. She came home one day and asked whether I knew what Cdiff is. I do. She'd been cleaning up after a client, without what, as a parent, I would consider adequate protection. She started to see a therapist last year, because she needed help coping with the day to day death that is part of her job.

I do not worry about either of my kids becoming addicted. Not one bit, despite the fact I come from a family rife with it. They are solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This piece rang true with my experience as a healthcare provider for the past 24 years:

Opinion | The Business of Health Care Depends on Exploiting Doctors and Nurses - The New York Times

There is certainly blame to go around to all parties for the issues with our current system, but I agree with much of this author's position that we need to de-corporatize healthcare and sooner or later move to single payer. No way around it in the long term, unless of course you prefer a lord of the flies-type existence in your children's' future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we are on medical issues....as some know, my daughter is a Type 1 diabetic. At the pharmacy in January, she was told the cost of her insulin for a one week supply was 1400 dollars under her insurance plan. I can buy the same exact product in Canada and bring it into the country (which is illegal under US Customs laws) and that same supply costs 50 dollars in Canada.

If you do not have a Type 1 diabetic in your life, please watch/ read this opinion piece.....

Opinion | ‘We Either Buy Insulin or We Die’ - The New York Times
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    While we are on medical issues....as some know, my daughter is a Type 1 diabetic. At the pharmacy in January, she was told the cost of her insulin for a one week supply was 1400 dollars under her insurance plan. I can buy the same exact product in Canada and bring it into the country (which is illegal under US Customs laws) and that same supply costs 50 dollars in Canada.

If you do not have a Type 1 diabetic in your life, please watch/ read this opinion piece.....

Opinion | ‘We Either Buy Insulin or We Die’ - The New York Times
    So broken...I wish you and your daughter all the best in managing given the circumstances. If our lawmakers can't come together to fix this, then they are truly ineffective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuckin’ A
    Given the diabetes rates in this country, insulin should cost what ibuprofen cost. The drug has been around forever, and companies are just pillaging.
    Nationalize it
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    This piece rang true with my experience as a healthcare provider for the past 24 years:

Opinion | The Business of Health Care Depends on Exploiting Doctors and Nurses - The New York Times

There is certainly blame to go around to all parties for the issues with our current system, but I agree with much of this author's position that we need to de-corporatize healthcare and sooner or later move to single payer. No way around it in the long term, unless of course you prefer a lord of the flies-type existence in your children's' future.
    This is a very good read, IMO, and consistent with the burnout I see in primary care docs and non-doc providers (a couple of friends, specifically, who both wish they had never gone into primary care, or even medicine at all). There are two structures in any functioning democracy that cannot be left to the free market: health care and education, and what the author describes is exactly what we might expect when medical care is left to the free market.

I don't care how long your aunt Mary had to wait for a knee replacement in England. Our system is falling apart due to the very nature of corporatization - and failing both providers and consumers alike.

On my end, mental health parity was celebrated as a huge victory for those who otherwise couldn't afford related services. Now, however, ask any psychologist who is paneled with insurance companies about the Faustian bargain they have struck with these corporations, essentially becoming 1099 contractors for Anthem (or Optum, or Cigna, or CMS, for that matter). Let's talk about the neuropsychologist across the state from me who failed to document that her patient went to the bathroom during a testing session (yes, really) and the insurance company clawed back the entire $2500 (sounds like a lot, until you factor in the 25+ hours she put into the assessment). Or the harrassing requests for "record reviews" and threats to end your contract unless you deliver treatment the way they (i.e., a high school graduate working at a phone bank with a treatment guideline booklet in front of them) think it should be delivered. Emergency telephone consults with patients? Not reimbursable. The 0.5 hours per clinical contact hour I spend doing notes, treatment plans, etc (that in no way, shape or form contribute to meaningful patient care)? Not reimbursable. That carefully-crafted letter offering an opinion on the patient's candidacy for SSD? Not reimbursable.

And note that MD/DO docs are now spending 2 hours per clinical contact hour doing notes and administrative paperwork.

Ahhh, don't get me started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Memorium: A Tribute to Bruce Gordon
    by Anna Schwinn

In Memorium: A Tribute to Bruce Gordon - Bikerumor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much of a fan of E.Warren, definitely not a fan of the guardian but i read it on occasion. I don't think that i found a single word in this that i disagree with. Given the choice between a Romney or Hatch, I'd take this all day long.

A Plan For Economic Patriotism – Team Warren – Medium

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    Not much of a fan of E.Warren, definitely not a fan of the guardian but i read it on occasion. I don't think that i found a single word in this that i disagree with. Given the choice between a Romney or Hatch, I'd take this all day long.

A Plan For Economic Patriotism – Team Warren – Medium
    For the record, she and your Texas Senator Cruz found common ground in opposing members of congress from lobbying after they leave congress. Not in love with either but this is one of the best things I’ve heard in a long time.

1. It’s a really good idea IMHO.
    2. It seems rare these days for folks from opposite sides of the aisle to find common ground, much less admit it out of fear of appearing weak to their supporters.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, the comedy. The "breaking news" section of Fox News is keeping us abreast of an unknown individual's glob of ear wax: Earwax clump clogging entire ear canal removed from patient: '''Look at that!''' | Fox News No worries, they have the president's direct dial number.

Second, and more seriously, within 24 hours of New York State approving a plan to be carbon neutral by 2050, former Congressman John Sweeney was in the National Review advocating a revenue-neutral carbon tax: Revenue-Neutral Carbon Tax: First Step to Fighting Climate Change | National Review

Does it matter? I don't know.

Do New York Republicans matter for anything beyond campaign contributions and the access they buy? I don't know.

But it felt like a drop of water falling as a glacier of climate change denial softened around the edges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    For the record, she and your Texas Senator Cruz found common ground in opposing members of congress from lobbying after they leave congress.
    FWIW, that was AOC, not Warren, working with Ted Cruz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    FWIW, that was AOC, not Warren, working with Ted Cruz.
    You are correct. I was thinking of AOC but I think Senator Warren has also suggested the same thing. This is an older article and is 'only' USA Today but it does mention the same kind of ban on lobbying by former members of congress.

Elizabeth Warren wants lifetime ban on politicians becoming lobbyists
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting read about what the multi-racial and multi-ethnic nature of Hawaii can teach us about building a colour blind society.

Opinion | Want to Be Less Racist? Move to Hawaii - The New York Times
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page