User Tag List

Thread: Any tips preparing for a tig welding class?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any tips preparing for a tig welding class?

I've signed up for a basic tig welding class and have read many of the posts on the "mentor/path" parts of this site. The class will meet five times once per week. I think it will be really interesting. Any suggestions on questions that a beginner should have in their back pocket going into an intro to tig class? (I'm interested in this skill because I've seen how refined it can be - primarily on this site, but others as well).

Thanks,

- Jason Rudokas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any tips preparing for a tig welding class?

Hi Jason,
    I am not sure if you any tig experience, so my answer is tailored for somebody who has no experience going in. I did the tig class at Lincoln Electric 7 years ago. It was a little different than yours because it was back to back days. I think the important thing for you will be to find a way to practice between your sessions. Running beads is important. But then digesting it and going back and doing it again will be how you improve.

Don't be surprised or discouraged if you only do mild steel for the whole class. But also ask if you'd like to see other materials. Or bring some. I brought a bunch of coped tubing samples and some thin wire. The smallest wire they had was 1/16", so I came prepared with 0.045.

Have fun with it and try not to get discouraged or too frustrated. You will get frustrated. Just know that we all still get frustrated and are learning every day.

If you want to read about my experience to see if it helps with your prep, here are a few links to the blog posts I wrote.
    Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi Jason-

+1 regarding Zank's comments about being discouraged and time between days / classes.

For few, this skill comes quickly. For most, there's a learning curve because you're using your eyes, both hands with filler and torch and a foot to work the pedal. That's a lot to coordinate. Don't be surprised to be overwhelmed at first. Just take a deep breath, relax and accept that this skill takes time, patience and practice to become fluid enough to start getting good. When I learned to TIG weld, I had a handful of days between when the tech at PSU could teach me steps but I did have lots of time between those days with the tech to practice and work on what he showed me during our time spent at the welding table. It will also seem like you're getting nowhere but you'll have small moments where you have some "AH-HA!" moments (Or at least that happened to me). These are the ones to focus on and get excited about because these moments begin to build upon themselves and the learning curve starts to get less steep. Again, some of those moments come quicker for others while others it takes time. Practice. Practice. Practice. That really truly makes perfect in this case.

I've been TIG welding since 1996. I still feel like I learn something new every time I pick up the torch.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful responses Mike and Chris. Both of your work is beautiful.
    I can't wait to see the Huntsman Ti on your bike offerings Chris.

Cheers,

Jason Rudokas