Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The motorsports thread.

I thought it would be nice to set up a dedicated motorsport threads.

3 World championship rallyes already done and Ogier already won 2 and is leading the championship. Will this be the 15th year a frenchman called Sebastien will win the world rally championship ?

This week-end it is all about MotoGP with the opening race in Qatar. I love motogp. Andrea Dovizioso has been leading the free practice sessions, but you are never sure which rider is doing fast laps and which is focusing on race pace.

Rossi still in the mix at 39 and he just sign for 2 more years at Yamaha ! This guy is a legend.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The motorsports thread.

I'm hoping a Ducati will take out Moto GP this year.

I find F1 as boring as bat shit these days, no overtaking and pit stop strategies. They need to simplify the aero and bring back the racing.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F1- I'm not a fan of the Halo. I think they should let the drivers choose to use it or not. I agree, the lack of passing is getting boring, But I still watch. At least the first corner is still exciting! I hope American ownership doesn't mess F! up.

Rossi: legend indeed. He flirted with F1 here and there, I always wished he gave it a full shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    F1- I'm not a fan of the Halo. I think they should let the drivers choose to use it or not.
    I disagree. Many drivers asked for some kind of head protection after the death of Henri Surtees and Justin Wilson, the injuries of Felipe Massa a few years ago. Is it perfect ? I don't know. Should we let the driver choose ? I don't think so. The Halo has so much impact on aero and everything that team engineers would have the last word and the safety of the drivers would have been put aside. F1 is not a driver's sport, it is an engineer's sport.

Back to motogp, things look really great : Zarco got the pole, smashing a 10y old record and 2 satellite riders in the front row, 4 different manufacturers in the first 6 spots and 12 riders in the same second. Losail is a very abrasive track which means the tire saving will be a critical factor and the fastest outright rider won't necessarily cross the finish line first. It can't get much better than that.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year was a good one in terms of spectating. I was in Austin for Moto GP. Wasn't sure what was going to happen to Rossi contract wise and felt it a must to go see him race 1x.

The soft goods venue was literally as big as 1 of Yamaha's motorcycle tents and the line to buy his branded stuff was 1 hour just to pay for your goods. I still bought stuff.

Then it was up to Seattle to check out my first Supercross race. Saw Tomac and Tomac Jr. in the pits. Pretty rad. We sat on the first turn and walked the track. Super impressive the talent of those guys. There were rocks out there bigger than my head. Supercross is really entertaining and I feel way better to see in person than on tv.

Then it was down to Laguna Seca on the moto to see WSBK. 2 years of going down there. Was pretty epic as it was almost right after Hayden's passing. lot of love from the fans for him.

This year is Nascar, Indy Race in PDX and maybe a trip back up to supercross.

My goal is to be at IOMTT in 2020 and check out Le Mans while over there.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad-brag time, apologies in advance:
    Take this one off the bucket list - Rotax Karting World Championships. My son qualified to represent the USA by being vice champion at US Nationals. The race was held in Portugal last November, and it was an experience of a lifetime for a 13 yr old kid. He did great; finished 11th out of a field of 36 kids that were all national champions from their respective countries. Thousands of racers compete across the globe for a chance to compete in this race, so I am so grateful we were able to qualify. It was the most stressful, pressure packed race week of our lives, but the most rewarding as well.gf4.jpegdad.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    ...Back to motogp, things look really great : Zarco got the pole, smashing a 10y old record and 2 satellite riders in the front row, 4 different manufacturers in the first 6 spots and 12 riders in the same second. Losail is a very abrasive track which means the tire saving will be a critical factor and the fastest outright rider won't necessarily cross the finish line first. It can't get much better than that.
    I really enjoyed that race. The front group was so tight for almost the entire race. Looks like we could have an exciting season. This year I decided to pay MotoGP for the iPad experience. The off season stuff, then tire test, and went ahead and purchased through all of the race season. All in all, I'm pleased with the content. The app has some interaction wonkiness, but it's useable.

I'm trying to figure who I need to pitch at MotoGP for our firm to build a trackside experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I really enjoyed that race. The front group was so tight for almost the entire race. Looks like we could have an exciting season. This year I decided to pay MotoGP for the iPad experience. The off season stuff, then tire test, and went ahead and purchased through all of the race season. All in all, I'm pleased with the content. The app has some interaction wonkiness, but it's useable.

I'm trying to figure who I need to pitch at MotoGP for our firm to build a trackside experience!
    Yes the race was great as were the last 10 laps of the moto2 event.

Karting is so fun as well as its offroad siblings (called kartcross here in europe).

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How proud you must be (and how much time you and your kid must spend on karting!)

Thank you for sharing those pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    How proud you must be (and how much time you and your kid must spend on karting!)

Thank you for sharing those pics.
    Thank you! We do spend A LOT of time karting, but it's worth every minute and penny. He's a good kid and he understands and appreciates the sacrifices it takes. It's fun for me as a dad; it's a nice competitive outlet for me, as I have to be on point with the machinery in order for him to do well. I get to tear apart engines, too, which I love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    I had totally missed the injury to Rabat. That is really unfortunate to read. I hope he can make some type of recovery and live a normal life.
    Yeah, the Rabat story has been buried. He will be lucky to ever race again. Normal life, as you mention, will be an accomplishment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Lime Rock last Sunday with my son to see the seventy Bugattis. Had a ball. Pall was cast on the day as we left to find traffic backed up, emergency vehicles dispersing, and a crumpled bicycle alongside the road. Someone must have left in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not see another woman wrenching, and asked her where she learned her craft: "engineering degree from Smith College," she told me. I went to Amherst College at the wrong time.