User Tag List

Thread: AOL eMail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default AOL eMail

I have had an AOL account since dial-up when you had to pay for it.

I kept that account even when you still had to pay for it and others were offering free email.

I worked at AOL-Time Warner (started just after the merger - don't ask) when some fool from AOL thought it made sense to use AOL as the corporate mail system rather than the Unix based system that was in place for years at Time Warner. I suggested at a group IT meeting that we use the Netscape platform internally because AOL owned it but I was quickly shot down. AOL email was the premiere product and that is what the new AOL overlords wanted to use for corporate email. So, a few weeks later I grabbed every combination of my name on my personal account (up to 5 were allowed) and saved the worst combination for my corporate account.

Over the years the accounts get on a spam list, I can't get them off, I give up on the account, and move onto the next one.

Today, is the day when I have reached my limit. My 5th email/username account is being spammed to death and AOL's spam blocking is no longer working to stop the barrage of crap. I received over 100 spam emails in my inbox today. I am saddened by this turn of events because the last email is [email protected], the best iteration, and it is now dead to me.

Friends/Family know my gmail account. Professionally (non-work account) I use a different gmail. But AOL was my first foray into email and I will miss it.

AOL is dead, long live AOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: AOL eMail

It seems like something has changed today. I also have had an AOL e-mail address forever and usually only get a few spams. Starting this afternoon it has been ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the last two weeks there has been a tremendous uptick in spam on my commercial-only account. It doesn't make it into my inbox, but the spam box has been running over every day. So who knows what is happening. Maybe someone is finally using all those stolen email credentials they bought.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving this to the OT section for obvious reasons.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've transitionned to using my own domain. Now I have only one mailbox and I multiply the addresses by creating aliases. It gives two advantages :
    1. I can create as many aliases as I subscribes to services/websites
    2. If one alias becomes a spam target I can unsubscribe, or simply delete it until I need it again.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel your pain.

Dibs on your left-over trial CDs.

aol.jpeg
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone with an AOL address should change it simply for perception. They look like email address for old people who don't know anything about modern technology.

What your email address says about your computer skills - The Oatmeal

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-26-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AOL is retro - If you have/use an AOL address it means you really know what you are doing, have an original NIC handle, and knew how to register domain names before all this GUI crap. And yes, I have an early NIC handle that is only two letters and three numbers format (xx-000).

Gmail is conformist - it means you sold your soul and identity for a free email account and so that advertisers can spam you to death (ignore OP about AOL spam for purposes of this point).

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Anyone with an AOL address should change it simply for perception. They look like email address for old people who don't know anything about modern technology.

What your email address says about your computer skills - The Oatmeal