User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should my wife get the new iPhone 8 or X? Opinions please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should my wife get the new iPhone 8 or X? Opinions please.

So Grace is about to upgrade from her 7, and can get either the 8 or X for the same deal. So we were hoping for some opinions from the people here, the only forum - bikes or otherwise - I have any respect for on the internet. Would appreciate people's thoughts. Thanks! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Should my wife get the new iPhone 8 or X? Opinions please.

I have the X. It’s just an iPhone and more expensive. I’d get the 8. I prefer the touch sensor over the face recognition.

I upgraded from a 5S to the X and I’m totally underwhelmed. These devices have totally plateaud. Most of the “improvements” are just gimmicks at this point. The camera is better but that’s it.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I have the X. It’s just an iPhone and more expensive. I’d get the 8. I prefer the touch sensor over the face recognition.

I upgraded from a 5S to the X and I’m totally underwhelmed. These devices have totally plateaud. Most of the “improvements” are just gimmicks at this point. The camera is better but that’s it.
    Thanks, we appreciate your comments. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean the same price or the same relative discount?

IMHO, the advantage of the X is the screen size of the plus but the phone size of the standard. Lots of people think the 8 should have been called the 7s. It's more of the same that she already has but it shares the same chip platform as the X

Buy more memory if you take a lot of video.
    Buy the Apple Care or carrier insurance plan and get a decent case. Lots of women (and men) drop their phones. Women, a high percentage, in the toilet.

Get what you like and don't look back. You'll be buying another in 3-4 years. Personally, I would get the 8 and get the X platform on the next upgrade. It is expensive to be an early adopter.

FYI four youths dragged a guy off BART and beat him for his X today. Be careful where and how high she waves the "I spent $1200" flag.
    BART Rider Dragged Off Train, Beaten, Robbed In San Francisco << CBS San Francisco
    11:00am Powell Street? That's a main SF station...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    Do you mean the same price or the same relative discount?
    Appreciate the thoughts. She told me both phones (we're on Sprint) are the same lease price, which is what I meant by the same deal. She's leaning towards the 8, I told her I'd get the X of it were me. Ironic because I currently have an SE - I like the compact size, and my favorite phone I ever had was the iPhone 4. But I kind of dig the pics I've seen of the X.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not just keep the 7? The 8 isn't a huge upgrade, and I personally don't like the X. I have a 7+ and will be waiting until the 9(or whatever it's called) at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vvv321 View Post
    Why not just keep the 7? The 8 isn't a huge upgrade, and I personally don't like the X. I have a 7+ and will be waiting until the 9(or whatever it's called) at least.
    Have to upgrade or buy the phone for what remains ($150) on it, plus she kind of wants a newer one. Also she works hard for her money, is actually the real breadwinner in our marriage, and I want to her to be happy. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size and price = 8 as my choice over a X.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jumphigher View Post
    Appreciate the thoughts. She told me both phones (we're on Sprint) are the same lease price, which is what I meant by the same deal. She's leaning towards the 8, I told her I'd get the X of it were me. Ironic because I currently have an SE - I like the compact size, and my favorite phone I ever had was the iPhone 4. But I kind of dig the pics I've seen of the X.
    there could be a $300 MSRP delta between the 8 and the X so if the lease prices are the same then the terms or not or sometime else isn't equal in the comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by vvv321 View Post
    I should have asked the motivation to change. I falsely assumed her current phone was dying. unless she needs/wants the specific features in a new phone and will use them, then its just chasing the latest. which of course many of us here do with bikes. if wife wants a new phone, that may well be reason enough. but as is pointed out above, the 8 is marginal improvement and the X is a big economic jump.

with technology, there is no penalty for waiting, especially with new phones coming again in the fall. if me, I would stick with the 7 for the coming months and get the new phone on a black Friday deal. or just keep the 7 until it dies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the X. Full screen is nice since I don't use the bigger phones, it's easy to get used to some of the functional differences--no button. I don't use any kind of passcodes, facial recognition, so i can't speak to that. But, big but, mine cracked, and it's not been dropped. I keep it clipped to my belt so it could have been wacked on a door frame or rolling around on the ground--it happens. I read somewhere that X's seem to crack screens easier. I also read, no source sorry, that the X just isn't the hot phone and may not have a long life. I'm sure that's out on the net somewhere.
    I'll end up replacing this one soon as I don't like cracked screens, not sure I'd go back to X for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    I should have asked the motivation to change. I falsely assumed her current phone was dying.
    So I just mentioned to Grace your comment about keeping the 7 and she said 'yeah I really like the 7, but the battery dies so fast now, in just a few hours it's nearly dead'. And come to think of it, she is constantly charging it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replace the battery? ducking.

i have a 7... replaced a 5...
    intend to keep it 4-5 years.
    not that much different imo.

they are amazing devices... but the changes are really small between models i thk.
    Last edited by SteveP; 02-21-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I just mentioned to Grace your comment about keeping the 7 and she said 'yeah I really like the 7, but the battery dies so fast now, in just a few hours it's nearly dead'. And come to think of it, she is constantly charging it..
    I think that Apple has a deal to replace the battery for $25 or so, so that's an option. I personally prefer the X over the 7+ that I had. The facial recognition works really well, and the gestures are very intuitive. Given its size, its easier to use one-handed than the +, but the screen size is almost the same size. If the cost of the 8 and the X is the same, I would get the X.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    I think that Apple has a deal to replace the battery for $25 or so, so that's an option. I personally prefer the X over the 7+ that I had. The facial recognition works really well, and the gestures are very intuitive. Given its size, its easier to use one-handed than the +, but the screen size is almost the same size. If the cost of the 8 and the X is the same, I would get the X.
    Cool, I just looked that up - $29 to replace the battery. If we keep her 7 we'll definitely do that. Still deciding on what to do, though. Keep the comments coming and thank you. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace the battery.
    Don’t lease a phone.

I need to find a spare lunch hour to get that $25 battery upgrade done on my SE at some point soon, after which I plan on not thinking about my phone for the next 2-3 years again
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are in IOS 11 or higher, there are hundreds of reports that the software drains the battery 3x's as fast as IOS10.3.3. People have replaced their battery thinking it was bad and the problem persisted. Google it and you will see multiple complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t like the size but I liked the camera and the price of the 8+...it has portrait mode and magnetic charging which is awesome. X is a great size and has a great camera too but too much for me at the time.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Is the X faster or stiffer?

Get the 8 so it's similar to what the other phone IMHO. I still have the 6 and it's perfectly adequate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I just looked that up - $29 to replace the battery. If we keep her 7 we'll definitely do that. Still deciding on what to do, though. Keep the comments coming and thank you. :)
    You have to reserve a battery online at an Apple Store (if you have one nearby) and specify that you are replacing a battery for whatever model iPhone under the battery offer. Then they order the battery and notify you when it arrives so you can go in and get the battery installed. My wife's battery arrived after about 3 weeks. Originally they were making people make an appointment, come in to the store and sit there for 30 minutes until a genius could help them and then they filled out the battery form and ordered the battery. My wife, who is extremely busy always, nearly choked the kid to death when she found out she was going to walk out of there empty handed. So to keep homicides down in the store Apple changed their policy.

Really I think what is at the bottom of this is every phone for about a 2-3 year period got bad batteries, and Apple tried to cover it up with this software bandaid that inevitably was going to get found out. So now they are charging people $30 to fix their own mistake. I think eventually someone is going to get this thing into court (probably the Attorney General of NY or CA) and Apple will have to refund everyone's money.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a phone needs to last most of the day and not be constantly in the charger. period.

my vote: replace the battery. $29? really? run don't walk. [oh, right, Apple was forced to do that because of the software fiasco]

I would keep the 7 and let the X issues settle out and then get the follow-up to the X on the next release.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast