User Tag List

Thread: Home Security Systems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Home Security Systems

Tapping the collective wisdom of V-Salon to try to learn about home security and what others may be doing in their own homes.

Two nights ago a neighbor about five doors away had their house broken into. I don't know the details but everyone can agree that this should never happen. I saw several police cars in front of the house early yesterday morning. Additionally, I have been warned by several neighbors of periodic security breaches in the general vicinity. I have a pair of gentlemen living next door to me and they own a police-trained German Shepherd as their security system. Thankfully, they also are a bit nosy and keep an eye on my place while I'm gone.

This is important but not adequate on its own. I'm gone for several days at a time and occasionally longer, leaving the house empty as I live alone. It may ultimately be that I need to move back to a "Lock and Leave" condo situation but for now I'd like to investigate home security systems and services.

Have any of you folks got cameras? Lights? A service like ADT?

Curious where to begin with this. All my exterior entrances have more than one locked door but the first wouldn't be too hard to defeat. I'd like to get cameras that I can look through via an internet connection while I'm gone. I'd prefer not to have a monthly fee for a service, but if that's what's necessary I'm not opposed to it in absolute terms.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home Security Systems

We have a Ring system.

Started this route because we needed to remove a 90's era intercom system which included a doorbell and module. For us the wireless Ring doorbell (w 1080 camera) with the Ring Chime was an easy solution. Just added a light/video camera motion unit (with user activated alarm) on the garage side of the house. Video real time on our mobile phones but if you want to archive video's (first 30 days free) it is $3/mo. for each camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that lighting deters most criminals.

I have Nest indoor and outdoor cameras, motion lights and the Phillps Hue lights. The hue lights are on random timers and they are hooked to the Nest system, if they see movement the lights turn on.

I also have three dogs ! But one is a basset so I don't know if she counts as home protection...

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I read somewhere that lighting deters most criminals.

I have Nest indoor and outdoor cameras, motion lights and the Phillps Hue lights. The hue lights are on random timers and they are hooked to the Nest system, if they see movement the lights turn on.

I also have three dogs ! But one is a basset so I don't know if she counts as home protection...

-Joe
    I do have lighting on a timer. It's not random but I could be tempted to upgrade to a random system. I live in an urban environment and don't wish to have so much light my neighbors hate me. But I do have enough to see what's going on in the back yard. Amazingly, I have three LED bulbs out back and they draw a total of 9 watts! They're kind of a soft light and so pretty easy on the eyes compared to compact fluorescent lights.

As to getting a dog, that can't really happen. I live alone and am gone for long stretches of time. I wouldn't mind having a German Shepherd like my neighbors' dog. She is not vicious, but was a rescue dog from what I believe must have been a bad situation as puppy. She's not aggressive, but she's a bit 'skittish' and gets everyone's attention. They can't let her off leash. But she's smart and attentive and once she trusts someone, she's OK. I would absolutely not want to try to invade their house with this German Shepherd present! But that's not an option and neither are weapons in my case.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imho an alarm system needs to address theft, fire, smoke, CO and perhaps even low temperature and water. There are a ton of diy systems out there of course and several often monitoring, which is extremely important if you want to be able to contact police and the fire department. We've been dealing with ADP for a long time and it's cost me more than a diy system but when an event has occurred, they have been right on it. Our current system is wireless and there's a mobile app of course with video recording and lighting control capability.

If your primary concern is theft, a stat that's good to know is that most perps like to "visit" your home between 10am-2pm...when you're most likely not at home.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A modification you can make TODAY is to screw a 1/4” thick steel strip across the inside of any basement windows.
    Among any of my acquaintances who have endured break-ins, they were all via ground-level basement windows that the burglar broke and simply slid into the home. All the other suggestions above make sense, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    A modification you can make TODAY is to screw a 1/4” thick steel strip across the inside of any basement windows.
    Among any of my acquaintances who have endured break-ins, they were all via ground-level basement windows that the burglar broke and simply slid into the home. All the other suggestions above make sense, too.
    I have no basement windows that can be opened. I hope to eventually install egress windows (if I stay in this house long) in order to have a bedroom down there. Having it secure and safe will be a high priority. I suspect a basement window may have been the point of entry in the case above.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before researching security systems QAD is to make existing points of entry a PIA and noisy. One breaking window sound gets ignored but more draw attention. Tell your neighbors if they hear one of those cheap motion detector cat get off the furniture things and trust me they're loud you don't have cats so there's funny business going on. Stopgap until you find a system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Before researching security systems QAD is to make existing points of entry a PIA and noisy. One breaking window sound gets ignored but more draw attention. Tell your neighbors if they hear one of those cheap motion detector cat get off the furniture things and trust me they're loud you don't have cats so there's funny business going on. Stopgap until you find a system.
    The three exterior doors all require getting through another door, albeit a glass/screendoor/ to gain access to a real door. Going through these will take a bit of time and create some noise and commotion. All the main level windows are locked (I've checked) and have the old fashioned security system of a nail through a hole preventing the window from being raised. As long as I don't have people residing in those rooms I feel safe with this. Additionally, most windows are not at a standing level. They're about 2 feet higher, meaning there's not simple cat burglar access.

I've done some looking around today and thinking that I'm not bad off as is, but I'd like a bit more. So I'm still open for suggestion. A moat or boiling oil from the upper level is what I'm thinking at the moment. The archers are standing at the perimeter.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 02-17-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the alarm system from he!! installed by someone I personally trust. The most effective portion of the system are the window stickers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    We have the alarm system from he!! installed by someone I personally trust. The most effective portion of the system are the window stickers.
    I believe your poodle and the fact that you are 6'8" tall and Mrs. TooTall is the toughest of us all would be the most effective portions of the system.

BTW, I appreciate all comments. We all need to defend our realms. I wish nobody harm but I also wish for security for tiny dominion and the bicycles that are parked within.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip the alarm system. Law enforcement experts say the most effective security system is a "Beware of Dog" sign, even if you don't own a dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Skip the alarm system. Law enforcement experts say the most effective security system is a "Beware of Dog" sign, even if you don't own a dog.
    A buddy of mine owns the best security ever: a pug and a pitbull, both of whom only want to play with anyone they meet. The only dangerous thing on that pitbull is his tail, which is like a whip. He never barks or bites or threatens. All he wants to do is play. But everyone who sees him is scared of him because he looks like he would tear your legs off. The pug loves everyone too, but howls and barks and alerts all of Wisconsin that a visitor is nearby.

Alas, I can't own dogs with my situation, though I'd love to own a large family of animals and someday I hope to do just that.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chicago Police will have presentations given by ex-burglars. The take away is that there isn't really a best solution. Some don't care about dogs others alarms. The nosy neighbors with a dog like that are a big asset. Otherwise you are looking to be just a little harder than the next place. From personal experience breaking into doors and windows is usually easy even when people are home they don't always notice until you're inside.

I had a kid break into the first floor apartment of my building because the tenant left the window open a crack. The window sill height has to be 6.5" from the ground. One of the roommates was home when this kid broke in. She yelled at him to get out and he bolted right back out the window. I was home but on the 3rd floor. I heard the kid's escape but had no idea what the sound was for a few minutes.

What I gleaned from all this is a mix of all the solutions is probably best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put a couple of ADT signs around.

I have ADT and I think the most valuable piece is the fire and CO detection...

Other than that, per ADT salesman, "the biggest deterrent is the sign..."

You don't have to spend $xx / month to get that.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had large Shepherds around since I was a child. Never suffered a break-in or invasion. The criminals will move on to easier pickings. Not attack trained just my dog and he's a big goof-as long as your behavior is non-threatening. If you don't belong or are doing something he doesn't like he becomes The Protector. As a country boy I'm no pushover either. I live somewhere that we keep an eye out for each other and it's known we're all armed anyways.

BTW the "Beware of Dog" sign is a bad idea if you have one. It shows you knew the dog was dangerous should they bite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m starting with some Blink cameras. Low cost of entry, no monthly fee, can access from anywhere, motion-triggered recording delivered to your phone and optional alarm that you can trigger from your phone. We have dogs, and signs saying so too. We’re in a pretty remote spot so capturing any vehicle activity in/around our driveway is important to me, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    There's deep wisdom there.

I got a similar message many years ago, when car theft was big business in Boston: Get a blinking LED stuck to your dashboard. Boom.

Most thefts are crimes of convenience. A thief will usually move on to an easier target. Unless, that is, there is some reason you are being targeted: A specific model car, etc. A sufficiently motivated thief can get past just about any system.

However, I did get an actual car alarm to back up that blinking LED, so what do I know?

As far as home alarms, I'd suggest finding some local companies that get good reviews and talking to them. We've used the same guy for years. We don't have a name-brand system, but it's got the features - door monitors, breaking glass noise detectors - that we think are reasonable. The system communicates via the cellular network back to a monitoring service. I think we paid about $1k, plus around $100/year for the monitoring.
    GO!