Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up guitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Picking up guitar

At the advanced age of 35 I've come to realize that I need to know more about music. I played trombone for about ten years from elementary school through high school, but was never required to learn much music theory, like what a chord is, or how stringed instruments work. It hasn't really been enough. Maybe it's hearing music from people who are immensely talented at playing it, like Annie Clark, or James Burton, or Aimee Mann, or Dave Catching, or maybe it's seeing all those beautiful Pawars on Instagram over the last few years... who knows? I always enjoy learning new things, and life is short, and there's no time like the present, so why not give it a the old college try?

So I've picked up Guitar for Dummies and there's a music store near my house that has teachers on staff and a plethora of videos on the old YouTube that seem insightful. Gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

Who's your guitar hero?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Picking up guitar

I've been trying on and off to learn to play the guitar for about 5 years now, and recently came across Rocksmith, it's a "videogame", and honestly it's the best thing that has happened to me along this particular journey. It's fun, it's not as repetitious, and it teaches you all the skills but in a more fun way than just, well, rote repetition. I've gotten farther with this than youtube or other video lessons, though admittedly I haven't tried an actual teacher. Anyways, if you already have a videogame console, or a powerful enough computer, it might be worth checking out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    hearing music from people who are immensely talented at playing it, like Annie Clark, or James Burton, or Aimee Mann
    I saw Aimee Mann (and the rest of the 'TT band) when I was in grad-school in NH in 1984. A campus organization had brought them to town as a break for students during finals week. They were playing on an 18-wheeler flatbed out on a grassy area, and there were only about 10-15 folks in the crowd. She was obviously super-talented and it was a really neat, with such a tiny crowd - I've never forgotten the experience. Of all the songs they did, "Voices Carry" and "Love in a Vacuum" really stood out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will sound strange, but one of my favorites was Ricky Wilson of the B-52's. He played these astonishingly simple lines on a detuned guitar that always sounded like way more instruments than just one. But they actually aren't that simple, in that I can play it but I can't visualize composing it. I was playing cello when the B-52's came out, and I had started to practice the work of some 20th century composers. There were similarities. His sound was the sound of the B-52's. The other band members were (and still are) super creative people, but that sound really ended when he died.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's your guitar hero?

Dave Knudson - Minus the Bear
    Tom Morello - RATM/POR/Audioslave
    Joe Satriani
    the guys from Battles.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Pass
    SRV
    Mark Knopfler
    Chet Atkins
    Satch
    Nuno Bettencourt
    SRV
    Eric Johnson
    Wes Montgomery

And SRV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeff parker and marc ribot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny Whitten.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the advanced age of 35 I've come to realize that I need to know more about music. I played trombone for about ten years from elementary school through high school, but was never required to learn much music theory, like what a chord is, or how stringed instruments work. It hasn't really been enough. Maybe it's hearing music from people who are immensely talented at playing it, like Annie Clark, or James Burton, or Aimee Mann, or Dave Catching, or maybe it's seeing all those beautiful Pawars on Instagram over the last few years... who knows? I always enjoy learning new things, and life is short, and there's no time like the present, so why not give it a the old college try?

So I've picked up Guitar for Dummies and there's a music store near my house that has teachers on staff and a plethora of videos on the old YouTube that seem insightful. Gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

Who's your guitar hero?
    Thank you Steve for the very gracious compliment. I am flattered by it.

The first player to knock my socks off was Roy Clark. I was a very little nerd when He-Haw first came on (1969 or 70) our little black and white tv. Then it was Everyone else who played one. A few stand outs for me are Paco de Lucia, Pierre Bensusan, Michael Hedges, John Mc Laughlin, John Goodsall, On the other end of the spectrum are the ones whose solos become an integral part of a song- Mike Campbell or Keith Scott or pre -Eagles Joe Walsh. Los Lobos- all the different styles they can is simply amazing. Lastly is Albert Collins. No one played, or sounded like him. He tuned in some sort of D minor chord and slid a capo up and down the neck to solo over each different chord. What a weird way to play, but I dig it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I saw Aimee Mann (and the rest of the 'TT band) when I was in grad-school in NH in 1984. A campus organization had brought them to town as a break for students during finals week. They were playing on an 18-wheeler flatbed out on a grassy area, and there were only about 10-15 folks in the crowd. She was obviously super-talented and it was a really neat, with such a tiny crowd - I've never forgotten the experience. Of all the songs they did, "Voices Carry" and "Love in a Vacuum" really stood out.
    Jon Brian is great! He also played with Jellyfish and the The Grays. Also Aimee Mann's husband Michael Penn is amazing ing his own right. Talented People!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played on and off since I was in my teens, some years more than others. One thing I've noticed is that older people who decide to 'learn the guitar' are often super enthused at the start, buy up a bunch expensive gear and books/vids/programs, and quickly discover that getting good at it takes a lot of dedication and practice. Something IME few older people are able to do. Thus you often see 60 year-old beginners with super expensive Martin or Taylor acoustic guitars, or Gibson Les Pauls that they can barely strum a few chords on. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that getting proficient at guitar requires a lot of practice, not buying gear. I realize you didnt ask for my opinion OP, but I'm just throwing it out there anyway.

As far as great players, man there are so many. Totally agree with the comments about Roy Clark, and Joe Walsh and many others mentioned in this thread. Steve Lukather comes to mind too. But geeze, there's so many..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on you for picking up guitar. I tried as a kid, keep thinking I should try again.

I'm listening to Mick Ronson play Width of a Circle right now but I still can't choose just one guitar hero.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a late middle adult onset guitar player. I played sax for years and quit a while ago, but music just wouldn't let me go. I'm starting late enough I'll never reach mastery but I have fun with it... Practice is a good practice.

My favorite players are Bill Frisell and Peter Bernstein, but there are lots of amazing players out there.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guitar is the one insrument I’ve never been able to wrap my head around. I play more or less everything else at about a high school level or better... but guitar has always stumped me. I think it’s partly for the same reasons why I think it’s not a good instrument if learning theory is the goal. Guitar seems to force you to think in positions, not notes. Like if the music says Bb7sus4 a guitarist will know how to finger the chord immediately, but would have to think hard about what notes are being played, and probably would struggle to identify what that chord is functionally (likely a V7 in the key of Eb suspending the 5th of the IV chord before it). Because when we talk functional harmony, we are key agnostic and guitar just doesn’t work that way. If you want theory, learn piano. It’s really the only way.

As far as guitar players, people have mentioned most of the giants, so here’s Carlos Gardel:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite has always been Jeff Beck, but I was quite smitten by Shawn Lane (RIP), and now Buckethead. I also think the Edge is amazing and totally underrated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP: Whatever you get - get someone who knows what they're doing to do a setup on it. It's just like a bike. A well adjusted 105 groupset works better than a poorly adjusted DuraAce group. A guitar you don't have to fight is lot more fun to play. If it's more fun, you'll do it more often, if you do it more often, you'll get better.

Also, I think consistency trumps most everything else. IMO, thirty minutes a day is better than a massive four hour session twice a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bob Mould
    Richard Thompson
    Johnny Marr
    Prince
    D. Boon
    Kevin Shields
    Brian May
    Lindsay Buckingham
    Walter Becker
    Jonny Greenwood
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfibers View Post
    My favorite has always been Jeff Beck, but I was quite smitten by Shawn Lane (RIP), and now Buckethead. I also think the Edge is amazing and totally underrated.
    Jeff Beck is the man! Shawn Lane on the Jonas Hellborg records is insane. That trio with Indian percussionist V.Selvaganesh is just other worldly! The idea that the tradition of the percussionist learning by vocalizing parts first before they ever touch the tablas is mind blowing. I can't imagine singing out all the guitar parts first before learning them. The Edge is totally underrated and a Rory Gallagher nut to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working on this one, but my high E popped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wherever your path takes you, remember that music comes first and theory is secondary. I always hear people say they don't know enough theory. Theory is analysis that is secondary to the music. It's helpful to know something about music on an analytical level (functional harmony), but much of the greatest music ever played was done so by people that didn't have a deep theoretical knowledge. Much can be learned by using your ears. "Knowing theory" doesn't mean you can create music. You have to have it in your ears. You have to hear it and feel it. Get that part down first, and let your brain follow if needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast