User Tag List

Thread: Tech dunce help - A2DP Bluetooth player for car audio playback

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tech dunce help - A2DP Bluetooth player for car audio playback

I qualify the following by reassuring you that I'm a proper tech dunce who has done as much reading and research into this as my little mind can cope with.

I do not own a mobile phone.

I want to listen to my MP3 music files on my car stereo.

My car stereo unit only supports iPod via USB and as it happens I have a Sansa Clip MP3 player (non Bluetooth model) and do not want to purchase an iPod or iPhone.

My car audio unit has a Bluetooth connectivity and the instruction manual says I can playback MP3 on a device that supports Bluetooth A2DP.

I need suggestions on how I can go about achieving this. I'm happy to buy a dedicated MP3 player device for my car but I can't find one that is not prohibitively expensive that does support A2DP - does anyone know which MP3 players will do the job for me please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tech dunce help - A2DP Bluetooth player for car audio playback

If the head unit supports USB MP3, and the Sansa Clip is MP3, why can't you just plug the Sansa Clip into the USB port directly? Or is bluetooth a desired feature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    If the head unit supports USB MP3, and the Sansa Clip is MP3, why can't you just plug the Sansa Clip into the USB port directly? Or is bluetooth a desired feature?
    I should have made myself clearer.

When I say iPod I mean specifically Apple iPod equipment - the head unit only connects via USB to Apple iPods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No audio-in port on the car stereo?

Have you tried connecting the Sansa? Have you tried simply copying the MP3 files to a flash drive and plugging that into the USB port?

My Volvo says "iPod" but it doesn't mean iPod exclusively. It means any sort of storage device containing music files that is plugged into the USB port.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you consider expensive?

Sansa has the clip with bluetooth for 49 dollars, and then it goes up from there:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...?skuId=5508200. You can get this sony for 220: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-wa...?skuId=6185209

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Have you tried connecting the Sansa? Have you tried simply copying the MP3 files to a flash drive and plugging that into the USB port?

My Volvo says "iPod" but it doesn't mean iPod exclusively. It means any sort of storage device containing music files that is plugged into the USB port.
    Jorn's post reminded me: My Sony car stereo operates like open roader clarified-flip down the front panel and plug an iPod into the pigtail. The iPod stashes behind the front panel.

So rather than buy hardware, why not just download a copy of iTunes and load your music files onto a USB drive like Jorn suggests? My Sony requires AAC files, which Apple stores as, and since I don't have an iPod, I use a USB drive and it works without a hitch. iTunes will convert a CD into an MP3 file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Jorn's post reminded me: My Sony car stereo operates like open roader clarified-flip down the front panel and plug an iPod into the pigtail. The iPod stashes behind the front panel.

So rather than buy hardware, why not just download a copy of iTunes and load your music files onto a USB drive like Jorn suggests? My Sony requires AAC files, which Apple stores as, and since I don't have an iPod, I use a USB drive and it works without a hitch. iTunes will convert a CD into an MP3 file.
    My head unit is also a Sony but just has a single frontal USB slot. I'll do as you say and see if I can swing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Many thanks Jorn. Whilst I'm waiting for iTunes to download (hey I live in rural Australia - internet speeds..don't ask......) I'll simply copy my MP3 list onto a USB stick and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jorn - BINGO!

Copied my playlist straight onto a USB stick and my head unit plays it perfectly! Many thanks to all who answered my call! I had no idea this solution was so simple and sitting right in front of me the whole time.............. you dunce :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent. I was surprised too when it worked on my car. I don't think you even need iTunes. Just the music files. The players built into the car stereo's software will sort out the rest.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-17-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books