User Tag List

Thread: Non-wedding rings for guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Non-wedding rings for guys

It doesn't look like we've discussed this recently, so I thought I'd throw it out there:

Although I'm not much into jewelry I wore my college ring for ages, until I almost lost it (was MIA for a few months, until I finally found it by accident). A few years ago I put it away for safe-keeping, but I'm now thinking that it might be neat to find something interesting for everyday sort of wear (on my right ring finger - I'm not hip enough to pull off anything else).

So, anyone out there regularly wear anything on your right hand? If so, what, and does it have any particular significance to you? Let's see 'em.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Non-wedding rings for guys

On a trip to Arizona I got a ring with flat turquoise stones that I liked a lot but it was just a touch too big. I lost it out making photographs in fluffy snow on a bitter cold day several years ago. Went back as soon as the snow melted but no sign of it.

I miss it still.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear something on my right ring finger every day. I have big hands so I favor big silver rings. Right now it's this one or this one by Aaron Ruff (shop name Digby & Iona). Sometimes it's my Jaguar Warrior ring designed by Rob Benavides in San Diego. Other times it's this one by Clendon Pete. In the past it's been a small pentagram ring (cracked and retired) or a cheap turquoise ring I picked up in New Mexico. Variety is the spice of life so I like to mix it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out my friend Jacob Albee's website. His work is stellar - and interstellar - with gold and meteorites as his materials (as well as precious stones.) I think they are super cool. He's a goldsmith and a jeweler, so everything you see on his site, he made from raw materials. As a result, if you want a meteorite band without gemstones or with more gold or whatever, you should give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Jacob Albee | Goldsmith

Last edited by j44ke; 02-16-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update - I've started an e-mail conversation with J. Arthur Loose, a one-man shop metal smith in Vermont. (see link below)

He makes damascus steel rings that IMO look pretty cool. Although they do look a bit too much like wedding bands (because that's what they're intended to be). I asked him if he had ideas for anything that's less wedding-ish, and he said he does have a signet design, so he's going to send me an image of that.

J.Arthur Loose: Damascus Rings, Blades & Jewelry

damascus_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are pretty cool.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful stuff indeed! But I'm spoiled by the price I paid the native artist at his road-side stand in Arizona years ago...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further, I got my regular wedding ring from Bruce Boone and it's great - hammer-finished titanium, very comfortable. Yes, he's making jewelry now, as well as trumpet mouthpieces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Boone wedding rig. Pretty great. After 15 years my knuckles have aged out of it, so I picked up a replacement from Into the Fire. He mostly does some fairly metal skull rings. I'm fairly tempted.

Last edited by Eric Estlund; 02-28-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my coworkers has a Kinekt Design gear ring. He's had it awhile and is pretty happy with it. It's pretty cool:

Kinekt Design

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right around 1990 or so, I was dating a woman from suburban Albany. We went to a presentation being given at a bike shop in Delmar by none other than Ben Serotta and company. During the event they passed around a titanium tube.

During or afterward, I mentioned to Suzanne that if I ever got married I wouldn't want the typical gold or silver wedding band; I'd want something different, like titanium.

Somehow she contacted Serotta and used her charm on them; they sent her what must have been cut bands from seatstays and chainstays, roughly finger-sized. She was like that.

So, keeping this bike related, perhaps get a ring made of the material from a bike brand you own such say, a carbon fiber ring from a Crumpton or a titanium ring from Moots, etc. . Then at least there would be a story behind the ring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I had a Boone wedding rig. Pretty great. After 15 years my knuckles have aged out of it, so I picked up a replacement from Into the Fire. He mostly does some fairly metal skull rings. I'm fairly tempted.
    Eric, you would probably like Donna Ververka's work. She's hilarious in person and a great jeweler. Fine crafts(wo)manship. Wears all her own stuff. See her rings here. Pretty sure she can also do custom work.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-28-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The architectural elements are really fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty rad:

Yuri Tozuka (@ym8star) • Instagram photos and videos

I'm pretty hard on my hands, so I typically go for something fairly simple and robust and let it run for a decade or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a stainless steel engineering ring on my right hand that I can't get off because I have smashed that knuckle too many times doing non-engineering work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought this in Portland on the way to Ashland for a UBI course. Can't remember the store or the jeweller. I wore it for quite a while on my rh index. but my fingers have gotten somewhat fatter and and it no longer fits. I'm contemplating enlarging it myself, or reproducing it to slightly larger size. It's stainless, and I quite like the chunkiness of it.

For a while, I also wore a split titanium ring on my thumb that was cut from a ti handlebar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've sent a deposit and Jul is going to send me some ring gauges so we can be sure that the size is correct.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get something a lot like the image below, with the wood grain pattern on the steel and 1mm wide rose gold rails.
    This particular ring is 5mm wide. I'm going to go with at least 6mm, so I'll have a slightly wider steel section.