Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

Enjoy watching biathlon. Ski like mad, stop and shoot a 45mm target from 50 meters away. As a mediocre skier, and even less good target shooter, that is a mad set of skills on display.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Enjoy watching biathlon. Ski like mad, stop and shoot a 45mm target from 50 meters away. As a mediocre skier, and even less good target shooter, that is a mad set of skills on display.
    Plus one of the few skills in the Olympics that will prove valuable in the coming apocalypse.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    As a Canadian, I love the Winter Olympics. However, the NHL withholding its players from the Games is a travesty for hockey. The Olympics is about bringing the best in sport together to a test of mettle. Having a bunch of former pros and juniors is less than appealing for a viewer. I imagine it would have detrimental effects the international hockey fan-base and participation rates. Seems like a short-sighted move by the NHL.
    The IOC ended it’s funding of bringing the NHL players to Olympics, plus not covering the 7 million is cost just for insurance. The NHL didn’t want to pick up the tab. The NHL also had to take a 3 week break for the olympics, disrupting their season. Plus players could get injured, messing again with the season.

NHL claims the Olympics “bump” equals nothing as far as their revenues go.

It’s all about the $-as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Plus one of the few skills in the Olympics that will prove valuable in the coming apocalypse.
    The Finns invented the sport in 1939, sadly the Olympics dropped the anti-tank event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find figure skating to be supremely irritating, but the Russians are about 1000% better at it than anyone else on the planet.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I find figure skating to be supremely irritating, but the Russians are about 1000% better at it than anyone else on the planet.
    You watch Eugeniia Medvedeva's short program and it looks so effortless, so easy which disguises just how supremely athletic she is. I think figure skaters get a really bad rap. They are tremendous athletes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You watch Eugeniia Medvedeva's short program and it looks so effortless, so easy which disguises just how supremely athletic she is. I think figure skaters get a really bad rap. They are tremendous athletes.
    Which is exactly the reason I find the subjectivity of the judging (I guess that's redundant) so infuriating, especially for those skaters who aren't among the preordained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post

Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    In addition, H1 has a barely perceptible jagged, shark skin–like texture when you run your hand over it in one direction.
    I worked for Speedo when the Fastskin suits were unveiled during the runup to the Sydney Olympics ... they used the same idea.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no doubt. Medvedeva's performance just made everyone else look like pretenders. Her strength to weight ratio is potentially off the charts. I just think the endless surrounding drama that turns it into some kind of soap opera is nauseating. Give me Sprint Biathlon any day. Laura Dahlmeier rocks.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hours Figure skaters put in is off the charts. Home schooling, skating 7 days a week for hours a day, gym, dance, pilates, etc etc,--all dedicated to making it look easy. It really sucks that in the end, results are left up to subjective judging & politics.

It’s a world I’d never guess I’d know anything about, but my oldest daughter skated/competed. Same daughter rowed crew for a bit in college. Crew folks originally figured she be a coxswain, and were shocked at her strength and stamina as a rower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't yet say I'm a figure skating fan, but this article from Vox helped me much better appreciate what I'm looking at when it's on.

218 Winter Olympics: Figure skating jumps, explained - Vox

I figure that figure skating, like most other sports, is incredibly boring until you understand it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can really question it, skating is a popular sport: look at the notoriety gained by so many of our own champions. And, I've never doubted the dedication it takes or it's athleticism. But as many here pointed out, I am up to here (hand about 14 feet above my head) with politics...and sadly for these young athletes, their sport was overrun with politics years ago. I just fast forward past it now...as I do CNN, Fox and all the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a better way to watch than NBC's online service? I have a reliable VPN if that helps, I'd like to just scroll through a timeline and click on things that have already happened or are happening live.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    I’ll be honest. It’s irritating to me that Russia is in the Olympics but not in the Olympics.
    Stop waffling and ban them for real
    Agreed 100%

I also find it irritating that apparently athletes who can't make the games in their actual country just move somewhere with not-as-good athletes and then they skate for that country.

Slightly off topic, we saw I, Tonya a few weekends ago and it was great. I didn't really follow all that when it happened, but it's an interesting story. Life dealt her a crappy hand of cards for sure.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Slightly off topic, we saw I, Tonya a few weekends ago and it was great. I didn't really follow all that when it happened, but it's an interesting story. Life dealt her a crappy hand of cards for sure.
    I saw it too and came away pleasantly surprised at how well done it was - outstanding performances and certainly cast her and what happened in a different light that expanded my view of the incident. Unlike other movies I have seen, that was a few hours worth spending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can find the men’s cross country sprint classic final, watch it. The Norwegian Klaebo literally runs uphill in skis and blows apart the race. One of the most amazing things I’ve seen so far in this Olympics.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Yup. My nordic racer days are 30 years and 40 years ago but I've always been fascinated by biathlon. A nearby ski club started a biathlon program this year, and I've succumbed to the bug. I'm having fun, but what's really cool is watching the kids really getting into it and how much fun they're having. Oh, and I've met some amazing people who have brought this program to life and are really making it work -- including a new good friend whose just a few years younger than me and is pointing for Master's Worlds in 2019.

I'm really enjoying watching both biathlon and xc. Jess Diggins is amazing, and Klaebo -- wow. Loved the skiathlon drama too for Diggins and Kruger, and Fourcade's performance in the pursuit. As a guy who raced classic and never really learned to skate well I'm really enjoying seeing classic skiers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shawn White. Been following him since he was a little skateboard rat.
    Congrats-his last run was clutch!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast