User Tag List

Thread: Any Filson experts our there? Shelter cloth bomber vs Lightweight Ranger Bomber

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any Filson experts our there? Shelter cloth bomber vs Lightweight Ranger Bomber

Shelter Cloth Bomber | Filson

Lightweight Ranger Bomber | Filson

Anyone care to comment on one vs other?

It seems that the Ranger might be warmer, since it has a liner, and the shelter-cloth model doesn't seem to have one. Any other notable differences? (Color isn't that important to me.)

TIA

Top: Shelter cloth bomber
    Bottom: Ranger bomber

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any Filson experts our there? Shelter cloth bomber vs Lightweight Ranger Bomber

I have a heavy double mac and a wool shirt so no I can not comment but I wanted to say how much I envy your position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any Filson experts our there? Shelter cloth bomber vs Lightweight Ranger Bomber

I own many Filson items, don't think you could go wrong with either. My personal preference is the Ranger. Warmer and looks useful in more situations.

Try it on first if possible. I've found Filson to have longer arms in some models of jackets that don't fit me well. But I'm shaped like a fire hydrant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are two fairly different jackets, they just are both in a bomber cut.

- band vs traditional collar
    - zip vs flap and button closure
    - slash vs bellow pockets
    - different materials
    - different liners
    - different cuts to the yoke
    - single vs double layering in the arms

So... both are probably great, but they are different.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 02-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think those are very different jackets. My answer is both. But then I have a green single mac cruiser, a gray double mac cruiser, a tin cloth field coat, and a shelter cloth waterfowl/upland jacket, so I'm probably no help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

I called Filson and they said that the inner liners for each of these are about the same, but the outer shell for the Shelter Cloth bomber is significantly thicker, so that one would most likely be warmer. (and I assume tougher, but perhaps not quite as comfortable due to the thicker shell material)

I'm looking for something that's good down to around 0* F without any additional layering under it (other than my usual winter wear of a t-shirt + long-sleeve cotton shirt). It's not clear to me if either of these would do the job so I'm still on the fence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    ”...I'm looking for something that's good down to around 0* F without any additional layering under it (other than my usual winter wear of a t-shirt + long-sleeve cotton shirt)...”
    With that extra clarification, my insight is a hip-length Double Mackinaw Cruiser is where you wish to be.
    It dresses-up or dresses-down. It is flexible, quiet, and simultaneously utilitarian. Wool is just SO nice a fabric.
    Bought one as a Christmas gift to my father and he is simply in love with that terrific garment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At zero, you want either a Double Mackinaw Cruiser, or a Tin Cloth Field Coat with a wool liner. I have both and wear the cruiser when it is cold and the field coat when it is also snowing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    With that extra clarification, my insight is a hip-length Double Mackinaw Cruiser is where you wish to be.
    It dresses-up or dresses-down. It is flexible, quiet, and simultaneously utilitarian. Wool is just SO nice a fabric.
    Bought one as a Christmas gift to my father and he is simply in love with that terrific garment.
    I second that emotion. Plan on break in period. They build them like tanks. *IF* you are so inclined the double mac with a thin wool sweater underneath and a scarf will take you to the north pole. I plan to be buried in that thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The shelter cloth definitely needs breaking in, and I've also found that, like tin cloth, it tends to be clammy and cold inside. Humidity tends to condense and isn't insulated so it gets cold.

The double cruiser is definitely warm but relies on the fact that at zero degrees F you won't have any rain falling on you. And I always found I had to accessories too extensively to deal with drafts up, down, and sideways. In calm winds it's great, in heavy winds, not so. If you're heading up towards the melting point, it survives rain but isn't the best, so if you want to cover that span of temperatures and have bulletproof coverage from all the elements, I'd think about a tin cloth garment with a moleskin or wool liner and an optional heavy wool sweater or jacket underneath. The double logger does really well, as does the packer coat, though fit is quite different between them.

You may want to revise your expectations. To expect a cloth bomber jacket to keep you warm at zero F is not realistic, period. Especially without significant additional layering. And unless you're above the arctic circle, you rarely get zero F without also getting 32 F, and that means more wet protection. So think a heavy tin cloth coat with a heavy add-in liner plus an extra layer of wool. You may not want that extra piece of layering, but willpower doesn't keep you warm. Wool does.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    You may want to revise your expectations.
    I agree that at zero degrees you want the Double Mac. I'd only go for something tin or oil cloth if it's going to be raining.

Along the lines of a Double Mac, you might also consider a Bemidji Woolen Mills North Shore Double: https://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/a...temid=bm07_110 They're American wool that's milled, cut, and sewn in Minnesota. I'm biased, but I think they're every bit as nice as the Filson, and they're a bargain at $214 for a regular, or $229 for a long.