User Tag List

Thread: where to eat when cycling on vacation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default where to eat when cycling on vacation

Wondering what everyone's favorite restaurant is in girona, pyrnees, french alps and mallorca.
    heading back to girona and the french alps this year and food motivates me.

in girona I absolutely love arros i peix for seafood and zanpanzar for tapas. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: where to eat when cycling on vacation

At the bottom of every Mtn. descent we stopped for espressos. That, for me, is pure effin' heaven. It is off season in the Alps so it's slim pickin's in the evenings. Our best meals were at host mom and pop hotels who treated us like pure gold. When we asked for some plain pasta or rice in addition to the meal it was done with real care. Host hotels always asked what we wanted to eat that evening, it was THAT good. The few times these mom and pop hotels were not available we had to slum it in the high alps towns which was really sad man really sad ;)

I guess the take away is look for lodging that appears to be someone's home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: where to eat when cycling on vacation

+1 to TT. Some of the best food experiences of my life have been with local hosts. A couple of years ago (see the link in my sig for some pictures and stories) I rode from Marseille over to Milan, through some lovely spots in the alps. The most amazing food I had along the way was with generous people who fed me well in exchange for some nice conversation (oh and for the fact that I paid a nominal fee to sleep in their houses).

I also had one of the single best pizzas of my life near the base of Mont Cenis if you're going to be by there (one of the most majestic rides I've had in my life for what it's worth).
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."