User Tag List

Thread: Vehicle Emergency Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vehicle Emergency Kit

Witnessed an accident today and also have a friend in California worried about evacuating from mudslides. Been thinking about this for a little bit and want to get some ideas on what should be in the back of every vehicle.

My initial list:

1. Space Blanket
    2. Knife, ideally with a glass breaker (have a piece of porcelain with you if needed)
    3. Several packs of gauze
    4. Jumper cables
    5. 3 flares
    6. Warning triangle
    7. Tourniquets? (I've got a few, not sure if they'll really be useful)
    8. Water
    9. Flashlight with batteries (and two sets of extra batteries)
    10. Tire repair kit with inflated tire
    11. Water filter
    12. Ratchet straps x 2
    13. Small first aid kit with bandaids, tweezers, eye wash, surgical tape, at a minimum.
    14. Roll of duct tape.
    15. Small fire extinguisher

All of this in a backpack so that it's organized and can be carried to scene of accident or from the car if you have to get out (which I think should be an absolute last resort. Probably best in 999/1000 that you stay with the car except for maybe fire, water and mud).

Inspect all of the above every oil change to make sure it's there, hasn't expired, and that there aren't any new emerging needs that you need to be ready for (i.e. you've moved to Alaska and a .44 magnum is now a thing, you are aware your kid has a bee allergy, you've married a woman who is gluten free, etc.).
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vehicle Emergency Kit

+ shovel (snow and/or dirt as appropriate), saw/axe, rope/cord, vehicle tow strap, boots, and, in northern climates, warm clothes and a winter sleeping bag.

Weird as it might sound, one of my most commonly used pieces of "emergency" gear is the crème brûlée torch that I commandeered from our kitchen storage. Keep it topped up with butane, and it'll start a fire, melt a frozen lock, or light a cigar in any weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to keep an MRE in a Jeep XJ I had in college. Everything else mentioned above would be more useful than one of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to your list: Beef jerky, cliff bars & Gummy bears (for diabetics in need of sugar).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts are biased by my wilderness first responder training. Emergency gear isn't to keep you happy, it's to keep you alive.
    1. Mylar blankets are great for small kits, but in a car leave an old jacket, blanket or something more durable and heavy. You probably don't have to save space/weight.
    2. Trauma shears. Can do everything a knife can except cut yourself (or your patient...). And slice your brie when you forget your blade on a picnic...
    3. Just use old t-shirts. Unless you're packing wounds gauze isn't the best choice. Plus old t-shirts can be used so sling and swath something, tie together a brace, etc...
    5. I remember that alaska used to (still does?) require carrying a flare gun if you're going away from cities. Not a bad idea if you're going way out there.
    7. You can use those t-shirts to tie a tourniquet... but please don't. In so many cases they do more harm than help that they are being removed from all kinds of protocols.
    11. Don't bother with the bulk of a filter. If you're worried about being away from potable water for a long time, bring chemicals, like aqua mira. Way smaller and actually more effective.
    13. You won't save someone's life with a bandaid and tweezers. Gloves, Trauma shears, and improvised items (tshirts, plastic, hard things for braces) will keep someone alive and their limbs attached until help arrives. All I keep around in an urban environment is gloves and shears, and I *always* have them.

Additionally: every kit should carry benedryl.

If you're in an extended care situation, things change a little, largely because you have to take more care about environmental and infection hazards.

We always keep 2 old field jackets (the air force has gone through so many camo patterns in the last 19 years...), a blanket, and 3L of water in the car. The blanket and jackets get use in non-disaster situation more than I'd like to admit. If we are going somewhere remote, non-perishable food and water treatment gets added. I always have my gloves and shears, and if I'm backpacking/skiing/climbing/etc I'll have my wilderness kit on me, which is probably another entire thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't drive but I do keep a go-bag that comes with us on long bike trips, extended hikes, and train travel.

Things that I have actually used in emergency situations: knife (to remove embedded splinters, glass, metal...), sterilizing alcohol (sterilize a wound), 100m of thin gauge (5mm) rope (to lift a fallen tree off of a tent), pea-lighter (to start a fire after getting completely soaked), sterile sutures (to suture a gash while still >50km by foot from anyone/place) and lab gloves.

Things I have used in non-emergency situations: knife, vacuum-sealed dried fruit/oats/nuts, compass, solar-charger, flashlight...

Work with what space you have. As said above, there's probably no reason to use a mylar blanket when you could throw a regular old jacket in the car if you have room. Assess and replace perishables like food (even if vacuum-sealed) when you have the chance/inspiration. And I agree that a aqua mira is a superior choice to a filter for a variety of reasons.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a good first aid class and get certified for CPR.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the glass-breaker/center-punch/whatever should probably be in the glove box, not the emergency kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Candles and matches.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Take a good first aid class and get certified for CPR.
    I had the opportunity to put Jorn's statement to practice this afternoon when some jacked up dude on an old mtb did an endo after t-boning a curb at high speed at the corner of 4th and Union. "Lie still, don't move and let's hope that the only thing that's broken is your wrist."...it was turning quite an ugly shade of blue while we waited for the first responders.

Back on topic...somehow airline blankets have made it into our emergency kits in our cars. Beyond an emergency blanket, they make for a good kneeling pad and backdrop when you need to lie down to look under the car. I also always remind my kids not to let the gas tank go below 1/2 full (1/2 empty if you're a pessimist) in the event that they might be stranded due to bad weather or stuck in a gridlock. One final tip...airline barf bags, puke pouch, vomit vault. When hauling young kids or one's Mother-in-Law, they've come in handy on hot, Summer days, when we've been about 10 miles from our destination accompanied by pleas of..."hold on we're almost there!" That statement always seems to trigger the inevitable gag reflex resulting in another memorable vacation moment.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also carry a 30' snatch strap, shackles, metric sockets and hex bits, and ratchet straps. First Aid kit is easily accessible, but secure. As well as a flashlight (2 of these, actually...small one up front, big one in back). Everything else is secured in a 36" waterproof Plano rifle case.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to work on my "prepper" cred. I only have a poncho and a clif bar in my car. Maybe a spare pair of sunglasses.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    I have to work on my "prepper" cred. I only have a poncho and a clif bar in my car. Maybe a spare pair of sunglasses.
    And 8 carseats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have me beat. I just have a lawyer.