User Tag List

Thread: Spring Century

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spring Century

A good friend of ours is turning 65 this spring, and wants us to do an imperial century (with 8000+ feet of vertical) in Mallorca at the end of April to celebrate.

There's a good chance the weather at home could prevent us from riding outside before we arrive a week before the event (roads were snow covered and icy well into April last year.)

We plan on snowshoeing, yoga/core work, and x-country skiing (we're beginners) along with as much trainer time as we can stand (have managed 3+ hours in the past - not that I'd recommend it;-)

Going somewhere else to prepare is probably not an option, and this will be on a tandem as my wife's balance issues preclude the use of half-bikes;-)

Over all fitness is pretty good,and we've been tandeming 2000+Kms for the last 10 years, including lots of vertical.

Any thoughts on what else we can do to get ready?
    Larry Sampson

"Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades."
    Eddy Merckx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spring Century

Ambitious to a fault Larry I really admire your exploits.

As a long time tandem rider I heartily endorse your use of a triple and pieplate on the back of that rig.

That's the best I got man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
    A good friend of ours is turning 65 this spring, and wants us to do an imperial century (with 8000+ feet of vertical) in Mallorca at the end of April to celebrate.

There's a good chance the weather at home could prevent us from riding outside before we arrive a week before the event (roads were snow covered and icy well into April last year.)

We plan on snowshoeing, yoga/core work, and x-country skiing (we're beginners) along with as much trainer time as we can stand (have managed 3+ hours in the past - not that I'd recommend it;-)

Going somewhere else to prepare is probably not an option, and this will be on a tandem as my wife's balance issues preclude the use of half-bikes;-)

Over all fitness is pretty good,and we've been tandeming 2000+Kms for the last 10 years, including lots of vertical.

Any thoughts on what else we can do to get ready?
    In addition to the indoor cycling training you mentioned, can you get to spin classes or do some outdoor cycling in the snow on fat bikes? Any type of cycling you can add would help you in April, IMHO. Also, are you sure you can't get away to a warmer region for a week, say in March?

Good luck on your Mallorca century, that sounds like a fine way to celebrate your friend's big BD. I had a similar Mallorca trip some years back and really enjoyed it. But it came in early spring and I had to make do with undertrained legs too.

Bill Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't banking on there being a silver bullet but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We've got a 28x36 as a bailout gear, so the gearing won't be the issue if we can keep the legs going around.

Fingers crossed for a mild spring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trainer time sounds like the plan. I can give you a free month of Trainer Road if you PM me.

Otherwise I'm jealous of the scenery your wife can check out while you're steering. There is some really beautiful scenery out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the offer - already a Zwift subscriber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double workout sessions have proven invaluable to me when trying to cram volume. solid morning session of cardio and again in the afternoon. volume without [uninterrupted] monotony.