User Tag List

Thread: Alternatives to Keens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alternatives to Keens

Would any of you folks be able to provide an alternative to Keens? I'm looking for something that would be good for hiking and wading through streams (on the same outing).

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Alternatives to Keens

Merrell has some nice offerings. Worth a look.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaco
    Bedrock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lems and olakai are two great alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love me some Chaco's . I have a pair that are maybe 15 years old and a new pair that are both great.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second (or third) the Chacos. The ones that wrap the big toe are the most secure, but the straps tend to strangle the toe eventually as you walk around (at least on my low volume foot.) So I usually get the Z/1 or ZX/1 models, which I then somehow manage to leave somewhere, usually hanging up to dry on a railing or something. I also used to buy their flipflop, but they stopped making the leather footbed model for some reason. Their molded footbed + leather is the ultimate walk-around flipflop IMHO. Super comfy.

The one thing the Keens have going for them is the toe bumper. Wade through rocky streams with the Chacos at the risk of your toenails. But the Keens are way too wide for my foot.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tickdoc View Post
    Lems and olakai are two great alternatives.
    Any chance you wear the Boulder Boot from Lems? I 've looked at that for a couple years now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    Any chance you wear the Boulder Boot from Lems? I 've looked at that for a couple years now.
    I do. I bought the Boulder Boot last year to serve as my work shoes. I was drawn to this brand because of their zero drop design. I wish they were more comfortable around the ankles and had better arch support. Aside from this, they're a nice shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    But the Keens are way too wide for my foot.
    Try the Commuter IV Bike Sandal. They're pretty narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Would any of you folks be able to provide an alternative to Keens?
    As was previously mentioned, check out vivobarefoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to like Chacos but the high drop doesn't work for me any more.

I got a set of these

Amazon.com | Xero Shoes Barefoot-inspired Sport Sandals - Men's Z-Trail - Multi-Brown 11 M US | Sandals

Not perfect but they work pretty well. Size up from their recommendation...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions. Lots of stuff to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The one thing the Keens have going for them is the toe bumper. Wade through rocky streams with the Chacos at the risk of your toenails. But the Keens are way too wide for my foot.
    I think toe protection is going to be important. Fortunately, lots of what was suggested covers the toes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last summer I picked up a pair of Baffin Swamp Buggies for canoe trips: SWAMP BUGGY (MEN)

Yes, they're pretty ugly. But if you need more ankle support than Chacos or various water shoes, the Baffins are the most boot-like I've found. The sole and sides have drains, and I wear a super lightweight wool sock under them. My feet and ankles have been happy in them wearing them for a week at a time in and out of the water.

I also carry a pair of Chacos for wearing around camp, or days when the portages will be easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore Keens for a while and thought that they kind of sort of worked for me. Recently I discovered the Altra brand, and have been giving a couple of their models a try. 6 months in I'm finding that I like them a lot. For the colder wetter months I've been running these,

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/lon...3-neoshell-mid

with good results. I walk all over town in these, and they also work well on the flat pedals of my grocery bike when it's cold/rainy.

Worth a look in my opinion.

Alistair.
    Alistair Spence
    Seattle, WA,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncancycles/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Altras! I really like their shoes! The Timps, Lone Pines or Superiors are great for off road. Torin for pavement.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are plenty of choices but I think it really comes down to usage...

- toe protection?

- how open or closed you need the 'sandal/shoe" to be ... open is very breathable, and great for water so silt and mud flush out easily but if you start hiking/walking where there is lots of loose stuff that does not feel good under foot and you will find yourself taking them off constantly to shake them out.

historically I think the genre accelerated with the introduction of TEVA, then KEEN gained market share by adding toe protection. But I never felt like their foot security was great since the bungee cord closure just didn't work well with my narrow lower volume foot. CHACO started expanding away from riversports with their more sophisticated strap fitting and better foot bed and sole.

Chacos are great - I do not like the toe loop my daughter loves the toe loop. The leather flip was indeed nice - mine tops cracked so that was the end of those. The no longer made hipthong also was great - kind of like a flip flop on steroids.
    OLUKAI also have a great footbed.

For my needs I am in for OLUKAI for flip-flops and Chacos for river sports. Light hiking I use salomon XD-Pro goretex trail running shoes.
    Take a look at REI-outlet for close-outs ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    No, I want to try them but have not been able to try a pair on locally and don't want to risk without trying them on first. Their boot looks like the perfect summer boot. I have worn olakai's and they are super comfy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add the Bedrock sandal to the mix. I am still on the fence but I could see really liking them the more I wear them. Strong feet is maybe crucial which is one of my issues, dealing with metatarsal pain. It's the closest thing to a barefoot shoe I have ever worn. A bit of arch similar to the original Teva would be amazing for me. Clearly not the coverage of some of the other suggestions but for many they work well.

Be like the cool kids.

I have the Cairn

https://bedrocksandals.com/products/cairn-sandals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merrel Moab Waterproof have been my go to for the last ten years. Plus they come in wide also. If we are talking sandals and flip-flops. Reefs are a solid contender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Would any of you folks be able to provide an alternative to Keens? I'm looking for something that would be good for hiking and wading through streams (on the same outing).

Thanks
    I think somebody else recommended this idea, though brand-specific:

non-waterproof trail runners.

Find a set that fit your feet well, and use synthetic sox. They are ordinarily designed to breathe and drain well, so don't stay soggy long. I use Innov-8 shoes (a few different models) for splashing around and day hiking, or a pair of Brooks Cascadias if actually backpacking, but the Altras are pretty cool too. The Innov-8 fell running shoes have very aggressive tread and do well in stream crossings, but may have less under-foot support that you like. Also, their precision fit is punishingly narrow in the forefoot--get the standard/comfort fit unless you have skinny feet and like thin socks.

I would not suggest a goretex or otherwise waterproof version--they get wet when overtopped, and stay squishy until you can dry them out off your foot.

This is my hiking/backpacking summer strategy, and it works out well. I have bad luck with sandals for actual hiking--scree and trail litter end up underfoot, and I bang up my feet pretty badly due to exposure (drying, cracking, no fun at all).

If you are concerned with scree/sand/river rock ingress, a pair of Dirty Girl lycra gaiters are inexpensive, breathe well, and keep crap out of your shoes.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear the Lems shoes which are a different last than the Boulder boot. I think I have 4 pairs in service right now. If you have wide toes and like a minimal shoe then they are pretty good. The toe box is not as wide and rounded as a Keen but both shoes together probably weigh less than a single Keen. I really wish Keen would make a minimal shoe.