User Tag List

Thread: Dreidel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dreidel

For the past seven or eight years I raid my material drops around the holiday time and make spinning tops for my friends and their families. I had a good sized brass round that I thought would make a good sized dreidel so I spent about an hour in the shop working on it and I think it turned out pretty nice. As per my normal MO, I should have taken better photos before delivering it...sorry for the link.

Instagram
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dreidel

That's great! Would totally buy one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too, let us know . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys. I make them from leftovers and there's only so much. I'm doing another small run of heatsinks soon so we'll see what remains after that. If there's enough, I'll get in touch.

FWIW, this is about 1.5" corner to corner and weighs just shy of 8oz. You wouldn't want to play with this on a nice table. My 5y/o dropped it on our teak table and the bearing left a pretty good dent in there.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    FWIW, this is about 1.5" corner to corner and weighs just shy of 8oz. You wouldn't want to play with this on a nice table. My 5y/o dropped it on our teak table and the bearing left a pretty good dent in there.
    I would expect nothing less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too cool Sean. The dreidel game was one of the best memories I have of family Channukah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Too cool Sean. The dreidel game was one of the best memories I have of family Channukah.
    My family loves it too. I'm going to have to make one for my girls one of these days.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in for one...or as many as you would be willing to sell me (I have 7 siblings, my wife has 6, and we have lots of nieces and nephews so we could help fund this as a project).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I'm in for one...or as many as you would be willing to sell me (I have 7 siblings, my wife has 6, and we have lots of nieces and nephews so we could help fund this as a project).
    I never intended on making them for sale, but if you all want them, I'll make a go of it. The material isn't terribly expensive, but there's a lot of time involved, mostly in setting up the masks so the etchant doesn't get where it's not wanted. The one I made took roughly an hour of machining (it started from round stock), and roughly another hour of time cutting, weeding and applying the mask and then etching.

I don't want to put anyone out, but to make it worth my while, they need to sell for ~$50. My wife poked around Google and says that similar but smaller ones are going for 50-60. I'd make them out of 3/4 square bar to cut down on waste and they'd have a pressed in bearing to spin on which makes them spin nicely and not mark up tables as much as a machined point (I have first hand experience on this one).

I was going to make one for our family with a titanium stem just for shits. If anyone feels like they need one of those, let me know but it's a lot more work so the cost would be higher. I think I have enough 6/4 drops to maybe do five of those and perhaps I have enough ceramic bearings for them too.

I'll kick some back to the Salon and put the rest in my kids college funds. Maybe it'll buy a book or two for them in ten years. If this is out of line here Josh, just delete the post and accept my apologies.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double your price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never intended on making them for sale, but if you all want them, I'll make a go of it. The material isn't terribly expensive, but there's a lot of time involved, mostly in setting up the masks so the etchant doesn't get where it's not wanted. The one I made took roughly an hour of machining (it started from round stock), and roughly another hour of time cutting, weeding and applying the mask and then etching.

I don't want to put anyone out, but to make it worth my while, they need to sell for ~$50. My wife poked around Google and says that similar but smaller ones are going for 50-60. I'd make them out of 3/4 square bar to cut down on waste and they'd have a pressed in bearing to spin on which makes them spin nicely and not mark up tables as much as a machined point (I have first hand experience on this one).

I was going to make one for our family with a titanium stem just for shits. If anyone feels like they need one of those, let me know but it's a lot more work so the cost would be higher. I think I have enough 6/4 drops to maybe do five of those and perhaps I have enough ceramic bearings for them too.

I'll kick some back to the Salon and put the rest in my kids college funds. Maybe it'll buy a book or two for them in ten years. If this is out of line here Josh, just delete the post and accept my apologies.
    I'm in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do I send the gelt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone.

Send me an email at vertigocycles @ gmail . com and let me know which type and how many you want. I'll get back to you with a total price and a papal link.

I'll order material today and with any luck they'll be in hands and spinning before Channukah is over.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... I'll get back to you with a total price and a papal link...
    That's some good unintentional humor right there.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    That's some good unintentional humor right there.
    indeed. It's the product of attempted to communicate while simultaneously coaxing two kids to get their shit together so we can go to school.

I ordered enough material to make about 30 of them. If it shows up on time, I'll get to work this weekend and will do my best to get them in the mail early next week.

Thanks everyone!
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Double your price.
    Seriously. If CeramicSpeed made them, they'd be $500, but then again they'd be made of 3D printed titanium with a ceramic bearing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

emailed. pretty cool.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The material showed up today and I whipped one up after dinner. It needs a few little tweaks and it'll be good to go.

Instagram

I can't seem to embed instagram code here. My apologies for another link.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I woke up on Saturday with something going on with my low back and haven't been functional all weekend. My intention was to finish 15 or so of these on Saturday but I've been trying to find a way to stay comfortable instead. There has been no improvement and I don't expect to be able to stand at the lathe tomorrow either. My apologies for the delay especially with Channukah beginning on Tuesday. I'll update as soon as there's a change and I can get to work on them.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com