Thread: Cordless drill etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cordless drill etc

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    Chances are any of the name brands will meet your needs. Instead of asking a bunch of skinny cyclist I asked a bunch of husky blue collar workers at the shipyard. Many, many of them said Milwaukee.
    I'd agree with the first sentence. Scan the youtubes and it seems like there's not a real substantial difference in quality between several brands, just be aware that there are some cheaper drills/drivers that don't appear to be up to the quality of the decent tools (such as Ryobi). In my opinion, like I stated earlier, it's really becoming committed to a battery/charging system - the batteries are where you will spend most of your money anyway, and unless you want a hodgepodge of different chargers, tools, and batteries, you'll likely settle on one.

Also - some drills/drivers/tools are brushless (all Milwaukee M18 "Fuel" tools, I believe, are brushless, although I could be mistaken on that) while others are not. Not that having brushes is bad, just might not last as long or might need more attention. But I seriously doubt that, unless you're a professional carpenter or tradesman, it would make much of a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last cordless, a DeWalt from 1990 or so...had a good run. It died about 18 months ago, just wouldn't run. I went looking for a replacement battery only to find they discontinued that battery design/model. So I bought a B&D corded drill that weighs a ton. A two minute job becomes a 10 minute job when you have to dig out the extension cord to drill a hole 20 feet away from the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went looking for a new cordless drill for my frame shop (which I also use for everything not just building and painting frames) a couple of years ago. Several things were important to me. 1st I wanted it to have 1/2" capacity. And 2nd I wanted it to be as compact and light as possible. I'm not one of those that would be using it constantly like a tradesman. I usually just need to drill a hole or three before putting it back again. I bought a Makita FXD11. It is a big drill in a compact size. They come with different sizes of battery packs and I chose the smallest of the 3 available because size and weight were more important to me than length of charge time. I got 2 batteries so one could be charging while I was using the other one.

A few years ago in Bucha, Ukraine, I went to the new department store that had a big hardware tool devision. And yes the Russians (may they rot in hell for their numerous unforgivable sins. And with unchristian like thoughts, I hope that hell starts for them ASAP) stole everything there and then totally destroyed the building complex. My goal was to get a battery drill to replace the worn out corded model we were using in our frame/bike repair shop. I used to like to pedal there on my transportation bike and sometimes get a Fanta orange pop and a Ukrainian dark chocolate candy bar (both were/are better than our Anerican versions) and enjoy them in one of their beautiful city parks. One was particularly nice with winding bike/walk trails. Anyway they had a bunch of drill models to choose from and after examining them all I chose a model I thought I would like the best. I was disappointed when I got back to the shop to discover that the drill bits could not be inserted as far in as I would have preferred. You might want to check drill bit insertion depth on whatever model you are considering. I hope the Russian that stole it found that feature annoying as well. Yes they broke into our shop too but thankfully just took the general tools and not all the frame making equipment. We ended up also getting a stronger corded model because some tasks took some time to complete that were done entirely in the shop. That one is now in Russia too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my brother had a farm/ranch and used his Milwaukee 18v a LOT, but they were older--I hear newer aren't as good. I have some 18v Dewalt (older), an entire set of Ridgid stuff, and more recently have a few Makita.

As things fail, even though Ridgid has a lifetime warranty, I do enough stuff that vibration and ergonomics matter to me more. I wish I'd done more research when I got the Ridgid set a few years ago. One, I don't want to support home depot any more, and two, the Makita just is better in every way (except price). That said, Ridgid is a good deal price-wise.

The Makita cordless drywall sander made a recent remodel so much easier--and I have several more rooms planned over the coming years.
    There is a huge variety of outdoor tools too across the big brands--so think about potential future needs there as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So which drill company makes easy to rebuild battery packs,
    who is the White Industries of cordless tools?

Used to change the brushes and cord for Dads real Black & Decker drill.
    If you still use a corded drill, do you own a dyno hub ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, two dyno hubs! And I often write with a fountain pen!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    I went looking for a new cordless drill for my frame shop (which I also use for everything not just building and painting frames) a couple of years ago. Several things were important to me. 1st I wanted it to have 1/2" capacity. And 2nd I wanted it to be as compact and light as possible. I'm not one of those that would be using it constantly like a tradesman. I usually just need to drill a hole or three before putting it back again. I bought a Makita FXD11. It is a big drill in a compact size. They come with different sizes of battery packs and I chose the smallest of the 3 available because size and weight were more important to me than length of charge time. I got 2 batteries so one could be charging while I was using the other one.

A few years ago in Bucha, Ukraine, I went to the new department store that had a big hardware tool devision. And yes the Russians (may they rot in hell for their numerous unforgivable sins. And with unchristian like thoughts, I hope that hell starts for them ASAP) stole everything there and then totally destroyed the building complex. My goal was to get a battery drill to replace the worn out corded model we were using in our frame/bike repair shop. I used to like to pedal there on my transportation bike and sometimes get a Fanta orange pop and a Ukrainian dark chocolate candy bar (both were/are better than our Anerican versions) and enjoy them in one of their beautiful city parks. One was particularly nice with winding bike/walk trails. Anyway they had a bunch of drill models to choose from and after examining them all I chose a model I thought I would like the best. I was disappointed when I got back to the shop to discover that the drill bits could not be inserted as far in as I would have preferred. You might want to check drill bit insertion depth on whatever model you are considering. I hope the Russian that stole it found that feature annoying as well. Yes they broke into our shop too but thankfully just took the general tools and not all the frame making equipment. We ended up also getting a stronger corded model because some tasks took some time to complete that were done entirely in the shop. That one is now in Russia too.
    The Makita Sub-Compacts are tempting. Small and 18v.

https://www.acmetools.com/18-volt-lx...381828680.html

https://www.acmetools.com/18-volt-lx...381828093.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went Milwaukee after checking the tool rack and seeing no other battery driven devices. Acme did indeed have the best prices. Once I test drive the drill, I'll decide on the driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drink the 18v Milwaukee kool aid as well…drill, circular saw, sawzall, weedwacker, etc. Any idea where I can find a hard case for my circular saw? One came with my drill and it’s awesome.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of high end tools and all in the same family - but as a hobbyist I bought the store's own brand version (UK based - looks like Ryobi but isn't). It came with 2 batteries and has been fantastic. Plenty of power and torque and it's worked perfectly for at least 5 years now. Modern batteries are great - before that I had a Black & Decker that was never charged when I wanted it to be.

If I was using it all day though I'm sure I'd have bought something more premium buit it does the job for me.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I drink the 18v Milwaukee kool aid as well…drill, circular saw, sawzall, weedwacker, etc. Any idea where I can find a hard case for my circular saw? One came with my drill and it’s awesome.
    Tool Barn has one. Might not match your saw though. I’ve given up on matching tool to hard case as small differences in the molding mean the saw doesn’t fit right. Instead I use zippered canvas bags, which admittedly aren't as convenient storage-wise as they don’t stack. But they work. I have a Bucket Boss that holds my drill & driver with bits and batteries that is plenty nice. Milwaukee also has some hard sided job boxes that you can customize perhaps. And Amazon sometimes has more options for hard cases. I think some of their sellers split up case and tool combos and sell the case individually.

https://www.toolbarn.com/collections...kee-42-55-1490

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...xes/48-22-8020
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-14-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryobi tools have been great for me and I really like expensive tools. For casual use there is nothing wrong with them. I use mine slightly more than casually and while the more expensive tools might feel nicer or be a little better these things just work. My philosophy now is that for corded tools I buy the best I can. Festool sanders with dust collection were a revelation. For cordless I'm sticking with Ryobi. The only problem is that they are so inexpensive that they are easy impulse buys. I regularly use my cordless brad nailer, glue gun, grinder and impact driver. Stay away from their dust buster vacuum though it is way too loud.
    @jimcav I'm assuming you had dust collection hooked up to the drywall sander. I still hate drywall but at least I can do it without making a complete mess using the Festool setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jimcav I'm assuming you had dust collection hooked up to the drywall sander. I still hate drywall but at least I can do it without making a complete mess using the Festool setup.[/QUOTE]
    yes i bought a very nice Makita 11 Gal. Wet/Dry HEPA Filter Dust Extractor/Vacuum that can attach. It's not quite as highly rated as similar from Festool, but far less expensive, worked really well.

When I retire/retire, if I get back majorly into wood working, I may get some Festool sanders, as I've never used better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I went looking for a replacement battery only to find they discontinued that battery design/model.
    I've had surprisingly good luck with generic replacements from eBay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I've had surprisingly good luck with generic replacements from eBay.
    Same with me.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123