Thread: Hot peppers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hot peppers

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    Calabrian chili's are easily found in a jar but never fresh at the local stores. Inspired by this thread to grow my own, I bought some Italian seeds and a home starter kit recommended by the local plant store peoples. Instructions were to leave the cover on until I see green. Then grow sans cover until moving outside. They invited me to come back in April for more instructions.

Current state of planting:

Attachment 120620

Attachment 120621

Attachment 120622
    Those are going to be fantastic. I'm very fond of them pickled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Planted indoor ... late feb
    Moved outside ... late april

Have not seen any peppers yet but thinking its soon.

plant.jpg

Plants are getting large and I started wondering if they will all play nice in that planter. Decided to make a planter and move a few over. Small one is 6lbs of clay. Big one is 12lbs. Photo doesn't do it justice, the 12lber is not small. Thinking I will do a little black underglaze and sgraffito on the outside.

IMG_4023.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your pots looks excellent :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Your pots looks excellent :)
    Thank you!

A question about planters. I see lots of ceramic planters and people talking about how its positive the clay absorbs water and is part of the plant environment. This seems great but then I see plastic planters which clearly do not have the water absorbing ability. Some of the plastic planters do have a reservoir or some water regulation ability. What is the thinking on planters and clay Vs plastic?

For those in the know, why I am asking? Because there are a few choices coming up with the planters. Do I fire the pots to cone 06 and keep the ceramic soft and able to absorb water? Do I fire to cone 10 unglazed on the inside which would not allow for much water to be absorbed? Do I glaze the inside and not allow any water in at all? In all cases, there is a hole in the bottom to allow drainage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just use what I have and powerwash and scrub them after each season…mostly unglazed clay. My oldest son grew them in plastic bags in college, as he couldn’t afford the pots and they did really well.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

I just use what I have and powerwash and scrub them after each season…mostly unglazed clay. My oldest son grew them in plastic bags in college, as he couldn’t afford the pots and they did really well.
    What are those a variation of a Reaper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    What are those a variation of a Reaper?
    I went mild this year Doug and it’s a chocolate variety…supposedly turns green, to variegated with white to chocolate. I’ll keep you posted.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went mild this year Doug and it’s a chocolate variety…supposedly turns green, to variegated with white to chocolate. I’ll keep you posted.
    Next year, I expect you to go full ghost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decent pepper harvests so far with all varieties this year being mild and sweet. I agree that next year, I need to have a least one pot of the nasty ones…just because.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decent pepper harvests so far with all varieties this year being mild and sweet. I agree that next year, I need to have a least one pot of the nasty ones…just because.
    If you need a few of the sillies, I've got a yellow 7 Pod and a Carolina Reaper that I can share with you. I mean how many Stupid Hots does one man need? :>) I made a Habenero Pepper Jam with one seeded 7 Pod that was outstanding. Let me know if I can send you a few, I owe you some silly peppers ifirc.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    If you need a few of the sillies, I've got a yellow 7 Pod and a Carolina Reaper that I can share with you. I mean how many Stupid Hots does one man need? :>) I made a Habenero Pepper Jam with one seeded 7 Pod that was outstanding. Let me know if I can send you a few, I owe you some silly peppers ifirc.
    I gave my friend some Scotch Bonnet's. Those are hot but not stupid. My friend cut the Bonnet, decided it was too hot. Afterwards, he forgot to wash the knife before he cut some cheese. The cheese was too spicey for him. :)

I vote Trinidad Scorpions or Ghost peppers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I gave my friend some Scotch Bonnet's. Those are hot but not stupid. My friend cut the Bonnet, decided it was too hot. Afterwards, he forgot to wash the knife before he cut some cheese. The cheese was too spicey for him. :)

I vote Trinidad Scorpions or Ghost peppers.
    I recall, years ago, cutting a yellow pepper with black seeds at dinner at a friends place. It was way too hot to eat by itself.
    I forgot about it, then later went to pee.
    An incredible wave of heat slowly traveled up my urethra!

I'm more careful now.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most of you do not read the Arizona Republic online, so the paywall should allow this free article.

Arizona Peppers
    https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/...e/69687483007/

For the 10th anniversary of their family’s chile company, Reyna Lara wanted to do something special to honor their roots.

She found her answer in the family, more specifically in her father, whose face became the logo for their packages of dried chile peppers.

On it, Feliciano Lara sports a mustache, a bright white cowboy hat and a suit jacket, encircled by the words “Chiles Don Chano," incorporating his nickname. Sometimes, Reyna says, as they cross between their home base in Texas and their farm back in Zacatecas, Mexico, border patrol agents recognize her dad from the labels.

“You’re Don Chano!” they say.

The label was meant to be a temporary design, but it stuck because the customers ― particularly female customers, Reyna has noticed ― like it.

When Reyna and Feliciano Lara say Productos del Campo Lara Hernandez is a family business, that’s what they mean. They wax poetic when they talk about their chile farm back in Zacatecas. For them, it’s not just food, but part of their heritage. And the place where that food grows is their homeland.

....continued

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody here feel the need for seed? Just a few of what my son has in his stash and we’re happy to share.

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just planted a Chocolate 7Pot Jonah, supposed to be pretty warm :>). I'd like to find some Fatali plants but no luck so far, similar heat to a habenaro but more fruit. The usual Thai Hot peppers and some serrano's. Might plant one more stupid Hot for fun, the younglings at work have more testosterone than brains and are sure that if the old man can eat one so can they :>).
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're doing a half share CSA from the local cooperative and our friends tell us they made hot sauce from the peppers in theirs last year. There's a significant population of people from Guyana in town (backstory here, that mayor's proverbial blind pig moment https://www.metrofixbook.com ) and they donated their own seeds. "Wear gloves and don't touch your eyes" our friends were told. Will report back when they come in.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456