Thread: Hot peppers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hot peppers

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

I spent the weekend visiting our middle kid and he shared a part of his first crop of nasty boyz as he calls them. No way am I eating these...they’ll be strung and hung in the kitchen along with the next crop. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to mail a few.
    The freshmen at your son's university are very lucky your son is not in charge of pledging during Greek Rush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    RW I missed your reply. Those are evil peppers. I'm only growing things that I can ACTUALLY eat!

Murphy, you should make BBQ sauce :)
    BBQ sauce actually hadn't occurred to me before but now that you mention it I am intrigued. My father-in-law is actually on a BBQ team and it would be pretty awesome to have him use a homemade sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    BBQ sauce actually hadn't occurred to me before but now that you mention it I am intrigued. My father-in-law is actually on a BBQ team and it would be pretty awesome to have him use a homemade sauce.
    I'm in that frame of mind lately and those little monsters are not just hot they have a terrific pepper component which will make awesome wicked BBQ sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from the Mexican food section of the grocery store in your bbq sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Try the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from the Mexican food section of the grocery store in your bbq sauce.
    My friend actually has some fresh-smoked anchos he gave me so I was thinking that those and habaneros would be pretty good since the habaneros have a real fruity pop to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    and opened up a new tube of Harissa. if you are into spicy chilies (not off the chart) and have not ever tried harissa, you should.
    Trader Joe's Zhoug sauce is also quite good. Not super hot, but very flavorful and great on a number of different things. I often use it to spice up hummus on pita bread.

Link to TJ's site

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I think the hot sauce turned out pretty well; kind of made things up on the fly, but the broad strokes are around 10 habaneros, a caramelized onion, roasted carrots, roasted poblanos, 8-10 cloves of garlic and some apple cider vinegar:

IMG_0455.jpg

It is definitely a thick sauce. You get a lot of carrot and caramelized onion on the front, but then get a nice kick of habanero that keeps you coming back for more. For a first try, I will definitely take it. I think for the next one, I will do a thinner sauce with just pepper, onion, and garlic (plus spices and vinegar obviously).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dog kindly decided to bury her bone in the, admittedly lowish, pot containing several jalapeno seeds that were on their way to sprouting. Still, she didn't discriminate and re-buried the bone in a pot containing sunflowers, who had just poked their way through the soil. Being the endearing and over optimistic sought, she came and dropped her ball with a wagging tail in one of the plant pots when I was fixing up her mess. Dogs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regret – Wiltshire Chilli Farm

At the Borough market, wiltshire farm is selling super hot chilli sauce.

Regret is made from Ghost peppers.
    They also make some from Trinidad Scorpions and Carolina Reapers.

IMG_6594.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pictures, but made a different type of hot sauce from my first try; it is simpler with the ingredients only being peppers (four different types), rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, onion, and garlic. It is way hotter. The types of hot peppers are my scotch bonnets I grew (which didn't turn out hot), my chocolate scorpions I grew, my habaneros I grew, and my friends ghost peppers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little late with the first harvest...a couple will be headed to dcama.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of the season is coming...Dave...dropping a few in the mail tomorrow.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m going to explore making a fermented pepper sauce with these bad boys and I will blend them with a variety of more subtle varieties in order to tone things down a bit if possible. Does anybody have any tips or recipes to share? The sauce would be used for chicken tenders, dip, etc. Thanks

How to Make Fermented Hot Sauce - Nourished Kitchen
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m going to explore making a fermented pepper sauce with these bad boys and I will blend them with a variety of more subtle varieties in order to tone things down a bit if possible. Does anybody have any tips or recipes to share? The sauce would be used for chicken tenders, dip, etc. Thanks

Saved that article for future projects! Looks interesting, some of the better Habenaro sauces I've had used Carrots as the sweetener.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple years ago, I made some fermented sauce from my Tepins. They are certainly hot, but probably not as hot as yours. No one steals more than one pepper though.
    I fermented only half the batch. Both were good.
    The sauce has mellowed in heat and gained in flavor over the years since I made it.
    It is important to keep the peppers below the surface of the brine because mold can grow on the surface.
    For this, I used a French press. I think I fermented at room temp a couple months if I recall.

IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    A couple years ago, I made some fermented sauce from my Tepins. They are certainly hot, but probably not as hot as yours. No one steals more than one pepper though.
    I fermented only half the batch. Both were good.
    The sauce has mellowed in heat and gained in flavor over the years since I made it.
    It is important to keep the peppers below the surface of the brine because mold can grow on the surface.
    For this, I used a French press. I think I fermented at room temp a couple months if I recall.

IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    I did read that you need to keep the peppers below the surface but the French Press is ingenious. That’s a helluva harvest too and at first, I thought that you were organizing the peppers in the shape (upside down) of the state of Texas.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll tell a story about myself. I went to a local (think hole in the wall) burger joint yesterday for a cheeseburger. I asked what kind of cheese they had and waitress said American, Swiss, Cheddar and goat pepper jack. Never having had goat pepper jack I said yes. The heat was much more than I expected and when I asked her about the goat cheese she laughed and said not goat GHOST pepper cheese.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fermentation is the way to go, particularly for the really hot peppers. For instance I have found that as the heat mellows in a habanero ferment, all the latent fruit flavors are amplified and really stand out.

I recommend a digital scale to nail the salt/water/chili ratio.

If you have access to some nice sauerkraut, you can leach off some of the liquid and it will kick start the lacto-fermentation process.

To elaborate on the flavor: fermentation creates a broad spectrum of flavor compounds; your carrot tastes even more like a carrot, and a little sour/tangy too. Often there are surprises.

For stuff that’s not too hot, say Cherry peppers: just chop them into rings and plunge them into a vinegar pickle. Put it on pizza, sandwiches, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little late with the first harvest...a couple will be headed to dcama.
    Is that the ghost pepper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yessir Doug...the two skinny, pink ones...the other one is a 7-pot Jonah. I’m waiting for a taste report from dcama.
    rw saunders

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast