User Tag List

Thread: A slim(mer) puffy vest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A slim(mer) puffy vest?

Looking for something for those cooler days where I want some insulation over a flannel shirt or wool sweater, but it's too warm to put on an insulated jacket like my Arcteryx Atom LT. Am open to both synthetic and down insulation options, knowing that down will inevitably be a bit bulkier.

Are there any options out there that are cut with a fit closer to a cycling gilet than a traditional puffy vest?
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A slim(mer) puffy vest?

I'm wearing the jacket version of this. It breathes great and provides a great kick of warmth while being a lot less bulky than a full jacket(vest).

Men's Ignitelite Hybrid Vest | Eddie Bauer
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two suggestion. The ArcTeryx Atom LT is a nice one, but you have the jacket already. Atom LT Vest / Mens / Arc'teryx

But my jam this fall has been the Topo Designs Puffer vest, made in the USA here in Colorado. On sale at Sierra Trading Post https://www.sierratradingpost.com/to...opo-designs%2F

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You pretty much described the North Face Thermoball vest. My wife has one and it's quite thin and svelte compared to the old school mega puffy Cabelas vest that I wear. She says it's surprising warm considering how thin it is.

MEN’S THERMOBALL™ VEST | United States
    Last edited by cash; 10-30-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather inexpensive, but decently made are the Uniqlo vests. I wouldn't trust it for a multi-day backcountry jaunt, but for the city or a small hike, if you don't need a lot of pockets, then it's not bad at all: Men's Ultra Light Down Collection Vests | UNIQLO US

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patagonia Nanopuff? Or perhaps just a cycling gilet one size up - Cafe du Cycliste have some really gorgeous gilets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two biggest issues with vests are:

1. That they're typically cut like a box, straight down from the arm holes to the waist.
    2. I'm a pretty small guy (34" chest), so it's difficult finding something small enough.

For those reasons, any brand that doesn't offer something in XS typically doesn't work. I've tried the Nanopuff before, but its cut didn't suit me. I just noticed that the Patagonia Nano-Air and Ultralight down come in XS, so I may go and try those out. The NF ThermoBall might work, but kind of bummed that it's only available in black and grey. The cut of the Cafe du Cycliste padded gilet looks awesome; if only they had a fully insulated version instead of the fleece back.

The search continues...
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    You pretty much described the North Face Thermoball vest. My wife has one and it's quite thin and svelte compared to the old school mega puffy Cabelas vest that I wear. She says it's surprising warm considering how thin it is.

MEN’S THERMOBALL™ VEST | United States
    I'll second the Thermoball vest. Have had it for 3 years, really warm and not bulky.
    Legend by Bertoletti tx6.5
    Cyfac Fignon Tribute Proxidium
    Bixxis Prima

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    My two biggest issues with vests are:

1. That they're typically cut like a box, straight down from the arm holes to the waist.
    2. I'm a pretty small guy (34" chest), so it's difficult finding something small enough.

For those reasons, any brand that doesn't offer something in XS typically doesn't work. I've tried the Nanopuff before, but its cut didn't suit me. I just noticed that the Patagonia Nano-Air and Ultralight down come in XS, so I may go and try those out. The NF ThermoBall might work, but kind of bummed that it's only available in black and grey. The cut of the Cafe du Cycliste padded gilet looks awesome; if only they had a fully insulated version instead of the fleece back.

The search continues...
    I have a Patagonia Nano Puff vest in small that fits me snuggly enough it could be a cycling vest in a pinch. My chest size is 37.5. I am going to guess that an XS will fit you fine. I've been wearing mine in the woods while working so I am less likely to get shot - it is bright orange. Just right for working hard in the 50's.

Their Crankset vest comes in XS and XXS. You might look at that. Pretty thin, has a bit of reflective piping on it. Seemed nicely made at the store, but I was going for orange. The Crankset vest is also DWR coated.

I am not sold on the material for their Nano-Puff garments. To me, unless you always wear it under a shell, the fabric looks really snaggy. My wife has a Nano-Puff jacket, so we'll see what happens. They do pack down to almost nothing though, which I guess is the main attraction.

Edit: Somehow left this out - I think the Nano Puff has changed its cut a bit. Originally I don't remember it being this snug. But it is good, especially when waving a saw around. No extra fabric.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-06-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can this thread be a week old without this coming up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Icebreaker stuff I've seen is about the slimmest cut: MerinoLOFT Ellipse Vest - Icebreaker (US)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Patagonia down vest comes in an xs, and they now source goose down as humanely as possible.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe look at Mont Bell. I have three Primaloft jackets from them. They have vest also. They were originally made in Japan, so their smaller sizing suits me well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outdoor Research has 2 puffy vests in their slim fit lineup. One has a hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can make the nano puff offerings form Patagonia work i think that hits the mark for your request. ridiculously warm, packable, thin and machine washes and dries quickly. I had a Patagonia down vest but just hated the extra circumference it gave me. returned it and got the nano instead. NanoAir products tend to run a bit bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polartec Alpha is the shizz. It’s the first name brand fabric/material that I’ve really kept an eye out for since Windstopper came out.
    my name is Matt