Thread: We're having a kid!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: We're having a kid!

Knowing ahead of time:

Not for me and my wife. We have 3 fantastic children: Girl-Boy-Girl and did not want to know ahead of time.

It’s one of the best unkown--then unveiled-mysteries in life, why spoil it for a can of pink or blue paint?

Not slamming those who want to know, I’m just very glad we didn’t.

Hope everything is going well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Knowing ahead of time:

Not for me and my wife. We have 3 fantastic children: Girl-Boy-Girl and did not want to know ahead of time.

It’s one of the best unkown--then unveiled-mysteries in life, why spoil it for a can of pink or blue paint?

Not slamming those who want to know, I’m just very glad we didn’t.

Hope everything is going well.
    I am happy when Corso and I agree!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We didn't find out in advance. I liked the surprise, didn't build up too many expectations, just hoped for healthy. Finished painting the baby's room blue and yellow a few days before game time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I am happy when Corso and I agree!
    I betting we agree on more than we don’t!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checking in. T-minus ~3.5 weeks.

1st trimester - wife felt like crap all the time. Exhausted, lots of nausea, just beat.

2nd trimester - she felt great! Took her a while to really start showing, for a long time people kept saying "you don't even look pregnant!"

3rd trimester - started getting tired more easily again, easily winded. Had to buy maternity clothes. She got the flu and was down for the count for a week - she didn't leave the house for a full week!! That has never happened before!

Now, with just a few days/weeks to go, she's pretty miserable again. Ever day baby (girl, by the way) gets bigger, and wife becomes more uncomfortable. She's started having pretty bad swelling in her legs and ankles, being on her feet most of the day at work doesn't help. Also - carpal tunnel, she's got it bad in both wrists/hands. While most people have never heard of it, apparently it's really common in pregnant women (caused by the extra fluid and whatnot). Doesn't bother her too much in the mornings, but by dinner time she has sometimes has trouble using a fork and knife.

She gets home from work, lays down, puts her feet up, and puts wrists braces on. The magic and awe of pregnancy is gone, now she's just uncomfortable all the time haha.

Had our final ultrasound last week, everything looks good. Predicted birth weight around 8lbs. We're as ready as we're gonna be. Now we wait.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-27-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re all waiting with you!
    The magic will return when little Abigail Gaddis arrives!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister said by the last weeks she kept looking for where the zipper was. Just get it out.

Our neighbors upstairs just had their first. A week after she was born, they were gobsmacked. A week later, total pros though still not enough sleep.

You'll do great!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The power of suggestion: I read your update and started getting all excited anticipating a couple friends' babies who are coming very, very soon.

Then my phone buzzed with an incoming text and I really got excited! No luck. The guy just wanted to talk to me about my next bike...
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a Chariot, hot water bottles, a few stuffed animals, and prepare to ride around with your kid snug in a trailer. When you get good the road guys will tell you you're making them look bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats! Sleep now!
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At 3 weeks to go, I would point to her belly and say "stay inside" or "you stay in there" every morning. He made it to 39.5 weeks. Two items that proved extremely valuable to remember at game time, obviously do as you want ...

First rule of newborns … when they sleep, you sleep.

IMO, the idea that you’ll get stuff done while they are sleeping is completely idiotic for the first 2 months. When the kid naps, you nap.I Even if you don’t need one. I was probably the best rested dad on the planet because of all the 20 minute naps. Don’t be a sleep deprived stereotype.

Second ... a hiking mattress, thermorest, or similar type item is extremely valuable for the 1-4 nights at the hospital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once it happens the first 90 days are autopilot. But direct all the attention you can to helping the baby make weight, and then eventually get em out of your room! Life will be better. Our boy is just shy of six months and has been sleeping in his own room since just after his baptism at three months or so. There is a “sleep regression” around then, and I eventually said after too much baby crying, to my wife, “tonight’s the night.” Not the first time, hey-o.

By seriously once their weight is stable and they are up to 12 or 13 pounds they can be sleep trained. Big gift you can give your wife. Say, “babe, I got this.” After the work she is gonna put in nursing the baby, it’s a Slam-dunk contribution a dad can make. I had our boy going to sleep on his own (just waking up to feed once, now he sleeps through) after only two or three nights of sleep trainjng. I would just go in an comfort him and tapered up to longer and longer times and then boom, he was out and had it down.

Point of story is there is light at the end of the sleep tunnel. You will do great. Good luck and Godspeed. Especially to your wife. It’s beautiful times! The good old days are now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow's the due date. Last night in the middle of the night I was awoken to the sound of my wife freaking out and water dripping on the floor - that'll get you from deep sleep to 100% alert FAST.

Turns out she had knocked over a glass of water while trying to take a sip. Pretty sure my HR hit it's redline though.

This pic turned up in my FB memories this morning. Us from 4 years ago. I had organized a 51 mile MTB fundraiser ride for the local club and afterwards a bunch of us had a going away party for our friend Stan who was moving away. She came out and joined us at the party. It was a great day!

We're very ready for the kiddo to come on out!
    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-23-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Every little story brings back a memory for me. We had our last childbirth class a few days before my wife's due date. She was feeling things and asked the instructor about them. "Well, that's to be expected in the last few weeks of your pregnancy..." OK OK, we're being worried newbies.

I woke up the next morning to the sounds of my wife making little rhythmic puffing noises. I rolled over and said, "I guess I'm not going to work today, huh?" Her water actually broke about 4:30 that afternoon, and our daughter arrived shortly afterwards.

Good luck to both of you! Remember, the real work starts after labor ends.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stories: Our 3rd-by them you’re a pro-know what to expect. A little less panic.

We were stuck in dead stop traffic on the Tobin Bridge, heading into Boston.

Stereotypical yuppy (recall that term?) business woman in a BMW, on her cell phone (big brick type) next to us-right side. She looks over, see’s my wife in heavy breathing mode- rolls down her window and asks “She in labor?”

I nod yes, Beemer woman rolls up her window and starts chatting heavily on phone, pointing our way, I assume telling the in-labor story.

Traffic begins to open, her lane first…I begin to nudge over in her lane, she guns it-almost hitting us, cutting us off.

Nice.

Richard Petty couldn’t have been closer to her rear bumper the rest of the way over the bridge. At least she took our mind off the baby situation for a bit, as we focused our anger on her.

Made to hospital in time, all was well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say hi to Nora Kate everyone. 20 hour labor, 4 HARD hours of pushing, and 8lbs 5oz and 21". Momma and baby are doing great.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There you go...now the next phase of your life begins and in fine fashion! Congratulations for sure.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude. Congrats. It's a grand time!

Looks like she was born chill :)

fc,550x550,red.jpg
    Last edited by roguedog; 03-31-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: whoa.. duped image

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She does look chill! Congratulations to all three of you.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow!

that is one good looking kiddo. lots of times newborns look pretty beat up from the birthing process, but she looks perfect! We all come into the world the same way more or less, but it does seem like a miracle every time, congratulations and well done!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast