User Tag List

Thread: Upgrading some of my a/v equipment (home theater), thoughts about my proposed system

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Upgrading some of my a/v equipment (home theater), thoughts about my proposed system

I have been working with a local shop to buy the following equipment, which will replace some 25 year old Canton speakers and a 10 year old Yamaha receiver.

The dealer will be selling me the equipment at basically 50% of list price. What are people's thoughts on this setup?

Marantz SR7011 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

Klipsch 280 FA speakers (these have the Dolby Atmos elevation channels built into the speaker)

Klipsch RP-450C center channel

For the near future, I will use the old Canton rear speakers
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Upgrading some of my a/v equipment (home theater), thoughts about my proposed sys

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I have been working with a local shop to buy the following equipment, which will replace some 25 year old Canton speakers and a 10 year old Yamaha receiver.

The dealer will be selling me the equipment at basically 50% of list price. What are people's thoughts on this setup?

Marantz SR7011 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

Klipsch 280 FA speakers (these have the Dolby Atmos elevation channels built into the speaker)

Klipsch RP-450C center channel

For the near future, I will use the old Canton rear speakers
    Go Atmos.

Marantz typically makes nice receivers. Same for Pioneer and Denon.

Speakers.........movie's only? Easier but audition still needed. Subwoofer as well. Not a fan of more current Klipsch speakers but that's me.

Don't forget the 4K player (go Sony-beats streaming quality) and 4K LG OLED display.

Serious gamers love OLED........................:0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Upgrading some of my a/v equipment (home theater), thoughts about my proposed sys

Don't buy a receiver with extra channels you won't use. Buy only what you need. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Don't buy a receiver with extra channels you won't use. Buy only what you need. Otherwise it's a waste of money.
    The extra channels will be used over time. I can only buy so many speakers without getting in trouble.......

Similar to buying another bike

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good receivers will have all the channels needed (for latest surround tech) at any given time. My 9 year old Pioneer Elite receiver still has 2 (out of 7 + sub) unused channels..........which will remain unused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First: ATMOS/DTS:X is awesome. I'm running 7.2.4. and the native content is hit or miss in how immersive it is. The upmixing the receivers do is usually (99%) of the time really good for movies. For music it is a personal choice I think it works well but go back and forth between stereo and upmix.

Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company and their stuff is pretty similar. I have the Denon 4300 and it looks like the Marantz 7011 compares to the Denon 6300 (the model up from mine). I really like it and bet the 7011 is probably great.

I don't know anything about those speakers. With the speakers it all depends on your room. If they are going in a space with a drop ceiling or very high ceiling then the built in Atmos modules probably won't do much. Do you think you will ever be able to add actual height speakers? If yes, then I wouldn't bother with the speakers that have the Atmos models built in. You can use the old speakers to play around with height channels.

The new Audyssey app is mediocre.

I don't see mention of subs.

If you want me to blab more about the receiver send me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree on the "surround" type speakers. Get speakers that only emulate one channel per speaker. I know there is a lot of technology out there that can emulate surround but its a very big compromise - especially if those speakers cost more because of it.

Get the best amplifier you can, its the processor of your entire system and I don't agree that you should try to save any money there. I would go as far as saying that I would spend all of my money on a receiver and use older used speakers that you can source over time to fill out the system. Obviously that doesn't work if you need an entire system now or else.

If your doing any kinds of movies you need a good sub. How much you listen to music in that room would dictate the size and tuning of the sub you would want. I personally have a massive custom built subwoofer that is only OK for music but when you watch a movie, its like your in another world. (it is tuned for output down to ~15hz which isn't audible but you get the explosion tactile response through the floor)
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    I would go as far as saying that I would spend all of my money on a receiver and use older used speakers that you can source over time to fill out the system. Obviously that doesn't work if you need an entire system now or else.
    This is a likely scenario, as I do have six Canton speakers plus a Canton center speaker. I would just need to add some elevation speakers. I cannot do a sub, as there is a bedroom below.

here is a link to the receiver. Marantz US | SR711

Stuart Levy