User Tag List

Thread: hip flexor strain recovery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hip flexor strain recovery

Took a hard digger last week catching a pedal on the inside of a corner on a rock, spun me around, high side and landed on my hip/butt. Sore, but nothing crazy, planned on taking off the rest of the week but had to install flooring, spent most the weekend bent over swinging a mallet at a floor stapler. By the end of the weekend I couldnt walk without a small limp. Sounds like a hip strain, and if so I've had a decent amount over the years, softball, golf, tennis, etc. Anyone have any suggestions of how to proceed?

I went out to do some sprints yesterday and couldn't complete them, hip was definitely a limiter, and it feels worse today. Of course, I was about to start a hard 3 week training block. What would people suggest? take the rest of the week off was my idea, with an MTB trip over the weekend already booked. Any suggested stretches after it starts to feel better, foam roller stuff? I have been wanting to start more core work, but have been injuring myself a bit to much to get going unfortunately, but that is on the docket.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: hip flexor strain recovery

Foam roller is your friend. Google "Hip Openers Youtube" and choose the seated yoga sequence what appeals.
    Here is one example:

If there is one yoga move that I will bet money to help it would be this with modifications as needed. If you need to it is possible to do pigeon pose standing (not really pigeon pose) and rest your leg/ankle on a flat surface at around 32"

I do a hip opener sequence in the morning almost everyday because I want to be able to cough without falling down << those who know KNOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with Too Tall on the foam roller and pigeon pose. I had knee issues caused by tight hip flexors a couple of years ago. If those don't do it for you, a physical therapist that does deep tissue massage and stretches with you worked well for me; felt horrible at the time but I could walk without limping after those sessions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reporting back here, took 4 days off completely, did a day of zone 2, and if I ever hinted at more it was painfull, two more days with foam roller and yoga and zone 2, and I was perfect for a long weekend of mountain bikes.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR