User Tag List

Thread: Recovered Cycling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recovered Cycling

My name is Jason Moore. I am a one-man shop who runs Recovered Cycling. I live in Dallas TX.

I have been riding seriously since 2001. I have had many bikes but currently ride a 2013 tig’d Bedford. It has pretty much cured me of any bike lust. But a custom ti-gravel bike could make me rethink that.

In 2007 I was on business in South Africa and wandered into Queens Cycle in Praetoria. They were a known Merckx shop and I was DEEP into my Merckx lust phase. I wanted to see what they had since I was in the market for an MX Leader. They had the mother load of NOS steel frames hanging on the wall, at least 60 framesets. I searched through the racks and found a 60cm MX Leader and a 61cm Strada OS and bought them both. I asked the owner for a list of everything he had available and put together a group buy through RBR and we pretty much cleaned him out.

I built up the MX Leader and turned to the Strada OS. I had purchased some tan elk hide sew-on bar tape from Velo Orange and wanted a saddle to match. There were none, so I grabbed an old Flite and stripped it down and figured out how to recover it. It turned out pretty well and I posted the bike on RBR. Everyone liked it and a few people commented specifically on the saddle and asked if I’d do one for them. So I took in a few and recovered them. They were OK, so I took in a few more. They were OK-ish. I put out the call for test saddles and got about a dozen in and did them. They were better. I decided there might be a market for this and I could maybe make some money to pay for my hunting lease. I stood up an awful website and named the company Recovered Saddle. I thought I’d get one saddle per month for the first year. I got 5 the first week or so and it was off to the races. During this period I found Ray at Handlebra and we agreed that we had some synergy. I did some test saddles with his leather and he began supplying me the leather I use for saddles. I still use his leather nearly exclusively.

In the meantime, I was looking for a product that would not take as much hand work as a saddle. Something I could design, have manufactured and then sell from stock. I have always loved gloves of all types, so I decided to remake leather cycling gloves with modern materials. There were lots of similar gloves available online that would work with just some tweaks. How hard can it be to tweak an existing design and have them made? Damn hard.

Long story short, it took me nearly 4 years to find a vendor who was willing to take this on and could produce to the quality I wanted. Not one glove company in the US would touch the project, and I talked to them all. I found a company from Montreal, named Veeka, making crochet back gloves. I contacted them and we agreed to partner on a premium version of their gloves. Their vendor was unable to do it. We tested several other vendors and landed on one who could produce them and we went into prototypes. This took over 2 years and 7 iterations of design, build, produce, test, refine, build, test, etc. We finally landed on a good design with the proper quality so I ordered a full production batch. When they arrived, I started the examination process and they were awful. Terrible. They had outsourced the sewing and I rejected the whole batch. The vendor would not remake them and would not refund me, so I ate the whole batch.

Veeka and I started back at the beginning looking for vendors. We found 4 and began the same process with all of them at the same time. Veeka was making progress with some new products and we mutually agreed to end our partnership. During the prototype process with 4 vendors it became clear that 2 stood out. 1 in Pakistan, the other in the US. The US pricing and minimums were 3-4x higher and their quality was about equal, so I went with my vendor in Pakistan. I ordered another production batch and paid in full, up front as requested. Luckily the gloves arrived in good shape and I’ve been selling them for about a year. I renamed the company Recovered Cycling.

I have had numerous requests for black gloves, so now I am offering short finger gloves in black. I am also in round 4 of prototypes for leather long finger gloves, along with extending the gloves into other markets.

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recovered Cycling

The recovered Selle Italias in my collection still look great.
    Terrific narrative and backstory on the new Cuero gloves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    The recovered Selle Italias in my collection still look great.
    Terrific narrative and backstory on the new Cuero gloves.
    I've got things to say but for now you cats need to post some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've got things to say but for now you cats need to post some pictures.
    I had Jason cover two SLR's and get me some matching bar tape for my travel bike and my Sachs..... pleasure to work with and the results were outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! Def post some pics. I think I know who this is, but not positive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rereading this, I gave a bit of short shrift to Handlebra and Veeka. Both of these guys were instrumental in getting me to where I am today. I am eternally grateful to them and recommend them both without reservation.

Also, I would like to thank V-salon and the mods for offering me the chance to be Smoked Out. I am humbled to be included among the folks here.

I got lots of pics. I will post some tomorrow.

Happy to answer any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you here Jason! I'll jump in to say that I've been using his Cuero gloves for a couple years. (Well, for the three seasons out of the year in the PNW where I can wear short-fingered gloves). I'm stoked with how well they can manage brisk cold mornings and hot humid days. I think they offer good wind protection compared to my meshy synthetic gloves. I was expecting the Cueros to be sweaty & hot on humid days but to my surprise the leather just breathes like normal skin. They just seem to conform to my hands after a few minutes unlike the padded Mavics I was using.

I was wearing synthetic stretchy gloves like Giros and Mavics. Those work well enough until they unravel at the seams after a few washings. The leather Cueros have been through the wash dozens of times and still retain their soft texture and the seams are holding fast. (After a wash, I hang them to dry; they dry a bit stiff but this quickly works itself out as soon as you put them back on. Supple and soft. Jason did send me some leather cleaner and conditioner to protect them, but I'm too lazy for that and these things are holding up very well despite the abuse). I've been waiting to see if these will crap out so I can buy a black pair, but I may be waiting a long time. All in all, a pretty nice bit of kit from a pretty solid dude.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIIW I was beta with Ray during the run up for Handlebra. I still have a bike running his stuff after more than 5 years. The fact you can wash and treat leather to maintain its integrity is a wonderful thing. That said, leather handlebar tape is NG for constant wet riding but man is it sexy for road bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a bunch of saddles from my Builders list

Nate Zukas

My Bedford

Naked Bicycles

Eric at Winter Bicycles

Zanc

Renold Yip

Tom Matchak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few glove shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard Ray's development story. Great stuff! Always fun to hear the back story on how products are developed.

You said you had some comments before. You ready to post them yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I've heard Ray's development story. Great stuff! Always fun to hear the back story on how products are developed.

You said you had some comments before. You ready to post them yet?
    Some yes.

The fact that things are still made by hand gives me hope. Your work is pretty flawless, we won't even begin to go into how great it is (yet) I just want everyone to fully appreciate this for what it is. A service from someone who really does great work for you the customers and no bu!!$hit. His materials are only the best and there is practically nothing like it in our little universe so folks all I can say about that is pull out your wallets and find a reason.

More later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Some yes.

The fact that things are still made by hand gives me hope. Your work is pretty flawless, we won't even begin to go into how great it is (yet) I just want everyone to fully appreciate this for what it is. A service from someone who really does great work for you the customers and no bu!!$hit. His materials are only the best and there is practically nothing like it in our little universe so folks all I can say about that is pull out your wallets and find a reason.

More later...
    High praise indeed! Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little love from RidingGravel.com last month

Cuero Leather Cycling Gloves: Quick Review -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And another review from our new friends at Fatbike.com

fat-bike.com/2017/07/cuero-gloves-review-by-euan-pennington/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is dead. So to maybe revive it just a bit, I will let everyone know that I am running a little holiday promotion for everyone.

From now until Jan 2 use the promo code VSALON for 25% off of gloves and leather care products. If you are ready to replace your beaten down gloves, or give some high quality leather gloves a try, now is the chance. I don't run sales often, so get it while the getting is good.

Thanks!