0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paraphanelia

IMG_0349.jpg

Here's one in real life! Stove top duty just down the road from Too Tall in DC. I picked this one up in Australia. A superior (heavy stainless steel) version of the old Atomic Stove Top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat device. Those stove top jobs always gave me the heeebeeejeebees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    whatever SM sells. those look nice though...
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I backed this kickstarter for a water filter for coffee, the guy is well known in the coffee community. I was looking at this or a Berkey, but the Berkey is SOOO big...

Peak Water - Coffee Brewing, Elevated by Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood —Kickstarter
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My world in ruins. There is a distinct possibility my roaster is done :( Contacting the maker as we speak.
    If I can't fix it I'm looking at a Behmor. Apparently, there is a new WiFi connected version not yet available.

I need a beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My world in ruins. There is a distinct possibility my roaster is done
    And it's time for unsolicited advice. ;)

Rost fits into Danish decor.
    Stronghold looks like it belongs in 'Modernist Coffee'.
    Top Ten is for people who fancy themselves as roasters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strong work Eric. I knew about a few of these. Mostly the prices are prohibitive.

I'm still trying to fix my hacked roaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strong work Eric. I knew about a few of these. Mostly the prices are prohibitive.
    They're not fun unless the prices are prohibitive. :P The Rost and Ikawa look pretty cool, but as you say... yikes. $2k - $3k for a Raspberry Pi and a popcorn roaster...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    They're not fun unless the prices are prohibitive. :P The Rost and Ikawa look pretty cool, but as you say... yikes. $2k - $3k for a Raspberry Pi and a popcorn roaster...
    The Behmor is looking better. They are not designed for City + however there are alot of people who have figured out how to get dark(er) roasts.

My issue is probably simple. I just need to glove up and take out a bunch of sticky phillips screws to get to the power leads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Behmor is looking better. They are not designed for City + however there are alot of people who have figured out how to get dark(er) roasts.

My issue is probably simple. I just need to glove up and take out a bunch of sticky phillips screws to get to the power leads.
    FWIW, I've had to take a screw driver to the Behmor too. I've had to clear out some of the oily residue on the exhaust to clear error messages. I'm also taking roasts into the Full City range with one (the 1600, not the 1600+).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    I've had a hunk of 3 1/2" diameter 6/4 titanium sitting on my lathe for 13 years that was originally supposed to become an EBB shell. A month or so ago, it seemed reasonable to turn it into a couple of tampers; one for me, one for a friend who's recently picked up an espresso machine. There has also been some ebony sitting around in my shop for a few years that, other than being square in cross section, was a great size to turn into handles. So this happened.

The darker handle has a little bit of shellac to hide a repair that was needed due to an unseen knot while I was turning it. A little superglue mixed with ebony dust with shellac on top hid it nicely. I left mine natural, it'll get oily with use and the hope is that we'll still be able to see the slight color variation in the wood. It took a bit of adjustment because I've been using a differently shaped tamper with a very different top edge for a decade or so. These sized this to fit into my basket with about an 0.005" tolerance to reduce the amount of grinds that pile up around the wall of the basket...it worked out to 58.6mm

oh those look great, and 58.6 is perfect.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    FWIW, I've had to take a screw driver to the Behmor too. I've had to clear out some of the oily residue on the exhaust to clear error messages. I'm also taking roasts into the Full City range with one (the 1600, not the 1600+).
    We might become pen pals. Still working on my hunka-junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I adjust the weight of the roast based on if I want to get to full city or not. Depending on origin and process a bit, but I usually use 14-15oz of beans on the 1lb setting and use P1. It's possible with playing around. (I've gone as small as 10-12oz on the 1lb setting btw)

Dry process Ethiopian or Brazil and I almost never have a problem hitting full city with a 16oz initial weight...again P1. I mess with P2 and P5 sometimes but I honestly like the brighter profile of P1 almost all the time.

The other roast profiles get a little harder to get to full city though. I'm still roasting with a regular old 1600, no options to add extra extra time or bypass heat settings. I thought I was going to be in the position of having to buy a new Behmor, my motor stopped working...but I pulled the side cover off and I only had to re solder the ground wire to the motor...boom back in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    I adjust the weight of the roast based on if I want to get to full city or not. Depending on origin and process a bit, but I usually use 14-15oz of beans on the 1lb setting and use P1. It's possible with playing around. (I've gone as small as 10-12oz on the 1lb setting btw)

Dry process Ethiopian or Brazil and I almost never have a problem hitting full city with a 16oz initial weight...again P1. I mess with P2 and P5 sometimes but I honestly like the brighter profile of P1 almost all the time.

The other roast profiles get a little harder to get to full city though. I'm still roasting with a regular old 1600, no options to add extra extra time or bypass heat settings. I thought I was going to be in the position of having to buy a new Behmor, my motor stopped working...but I pulled the side cover off and I only had to re solder the ground wire to the motor...boom back in business.
    Good to know should I decide to go this direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YARDSALE!!!! Yardsale unicorn find today, this day that is my lucky day. A perfect large Bialetti Mocha Pot. I just brewed a batch and declare this great.

coffee1.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12