Thread: Coffee-p0rn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: R1

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Every new roast requires a different grind and I'd just created a 17 gram brick ;) Feh.
    Isn’t that the truth. I don’t roast my own, but I keep a grind log near my grinder for the different beans that I purchase. In my case, it’s the time and grind size settings on my grinder. Mrs. RW just shakes her heads when she reaches in that particular kitchen drawer and sees the log covered with coffee dust.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ripping thru the last 2 lbs I roasted so that I can try these suggestions so thanks for all that my friends.

Sometimes I get in my own way. This morning I loaded the latest roast into my grinder, not thinking, proceeded to dose 17 grams into the flair (manual espresso) and tried to pull a shot. Nah, not a chance. Every new roast requires a different grind and I'd just created a 17 gram brick ;) Feh.
    not only that, but fresh espresso needs to offgas to pull a shot properly. the first couple days after your roast, the espresso will behave different than if you let it rest a few days. the grind size shouldnt have to change too much though.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those in the know - does the Behmor just not get up to temp fast enough to do a full pound? What's the performance bottleneck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    For those in the know - does the Behmor just not get up to temp fast enough to do a full pound? What's the performance bottleneck?
    thermal mass of the bean vs power. I think the machine is just a bit small to roast a full pound. it can do the job, its just slower. and slower for flavor coffee is not always desirable.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    thermal mass of the bean vs power. I think the machine is just a bit small to roast a full pound. it can do the job, its just slower. and slower for flavor coffee is not always desirable.
    That and I believe the maker has taken pains to lessen possibilities of a fire.

Of course we can all pop for the Jake when it is made available. Than we can computer model the b@tard and share adventure of the bean with all us roasting dorks ;)

Kidding alot, however that Jake looks to be the business. If it ever is available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That and I believe the maker has taken pains to lessen possibilities of a fire.

Of course we can all pop for the Jake when it is made available. Than we can computer model the b@tard and share adventure of the bean with all us roasting dorks ;)

Kidding alot, however that Jake looks to be the business. If it ever is available.
    its so sexy! id probably get one
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its so sexy! id probably get one
    Amen and pass the green beans.

He makes a great product. Just wish the darn thing would go to market already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Agree regarding cooling. I made a box with a bathroom fan blowing upwards in the base and a cutout for a $2 sieve in the top. I transfer the roast to the sieve-in-a-box at the end of stage 4 and stir with a gloved hand until the chaff is blown off (maybe a minute). By then it's cool enough to stir with an ungloved hand.
    Here's my cooling/de-chaffing setup. Similar to yours but suck, not blow. Works great to cool off 500g in about 60 sec.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically yes but there's some added complexity in that different types of roasters have different time constants. I wrote a couple of long posts on the subject for a coffee forum in which I used to participate: On the nonexistence of heat momentum

The Behmor design is at the longer end of the range of time constants.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coffee-p0rn

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    Here's my cooling/de-chaffing setup. Similar to yours but suck, not blow. Works great to cool off 500g in about 60 sec.

/gkk
    I’ve got some free time right now ... so I’m going to build a roast cooler. I’ve seen bathroom fan projects and shop vac projects, I figure they both have been drawing air, not blowing except Mark Kelly who never does something without a good reason - so what’s the difference or is it just a question of where to direct the dust and heat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weavie View Post
    I’ve got some free time right now ... so I’m going to build a roast cooler. I’ve seen bathroom fan projects and shop vac projects, I figure they both have been drawing air, not blowing except Mark Kelly who never does something without a good reason - so what’s the difference or is it just a question of where to direct the dust and heat?
    I haven't studied it extensively, but for me I would rather have the chaff not blow in my face as I lean over the bucket and stir. The chaff pretty much stays in the shop vac and doesn't get exhausted out. Before I had this I used a fan blowing through it and it had to be done outside or was too much of a mess.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    I haven't studied it extensively, but for me I would rather have the chaff not blow in my face as I lean over the bucket and stir. The chaff pretty much stays in the shop vac and doesn't get exhausted out. Before I had this I used a fan blowing through it and it had to be done outside or was too much of a mess.

Have fun!
    Same here....all that said I've switched to dumping the beans into the sieve, running outside and winnowing them by tossing them in the air. I'll stop and stir with a gloved hand a few times to loosen any stubborn chaff.

Doing it this way eliminates "more stuff to maintain" and actually cools the beans alot faster AND does a perfect job of separating the chaff. If you live in an apartment of care about chaff all over the lawn forget about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here....all that said I've switched to dumping the beans into the sieve, running outside and winnowing them by tossing them in the air. I'll stop and stir with a gloved hand a few times to loosen any stubborn chaff.

Doing it this way eliminates "more stuff to maintain" and actually cools the beans alot faster AND does a perfect job of separating the chaff. If you live in an apartment of care about chaff all over the lawn forget about it.

I've got a shop-vac so I was thinking to get a bucket and a colander and give it a try. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weavie View Post
    so what’s the difference or is it just a question of where to direct the dust and heat?
    Yes, I just did it so I got chaff removal with cooling..
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I visit Bloomington Indiana, I always have a blueberry scone and medium latte at The Inkwell Bakery & Cafe to start my day.

https://www.inkwellbtown.com/

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely pic. as usual R.W.
    (chuckle) of course my eye wanders to the DL1 brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Periodic table of the magic bean.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_20201026_141539.jpg

A very tasty first shot from a new bean!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to post the scones here.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Saunders, you just sent me down the scone rabbit hole.
    Looks delicious.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.