Thread: Coffee-p0rn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: (Daily) Shot Caller

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    We visited the Chelsea Roastery in NYC last month...
    Looks fun. Those prices sure are NYC -- must cover the price of all those hats. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default R1

It’s not the Behmor Jake, but I am having a great time figuring out how to roast with this’n.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: R1

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    It’s not the Behmor Jake, but I am having a great time figuring out how to roast with this’n.
    That looks pretty d@mn fetching.

Hey don't tease, I thought the Jake was vaporware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally getting the Behmor dialed.
    Costa Rica Tarrazu roasted to first crack +
    1lb, D,P5, + 10 min.s (after hitting start) so that's about 5 min.s more than the program time.

I'm real real pleased with this.

CR1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    1lb, D,P5, + 10 min.s (after hitting start) so that's about 5 min.s more than the program time.

CR1.jpg
    looks great! nice and consistent too
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Matt. That's been the hardest thing to control when roasting one full pound. I think these beans are pretty forgiving. If the Ethiopian goes as well I'll declare victory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I reading you right? You're adding 10 minutes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Am I reading you right? You're adding 10 minutes?
    Yes. When the safety kicks in at 4 mins 20 seconds press "start" than add 10 mins....so you are really only adding 5 mins. 40 seconds right?

I listen intently for first crack to finish and it turns out that the added time was a perfect storm. If it was any longer I'd hit "cool".

Also, I open the door for a split second near the very end to gauge the roast by seeing how much smoke is present.

I'm a total newbie with this machine so teach me man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. When the safety kicks in at 4 mins 20 seconds press "start" than add 10 mins....so you are really only adding 5 mins. 40 seconds right?

I listen intently for first crack to finish and it turns out that the added time was a perfect storm. If it was any longer I'd hit "cool".

Also, I open the door for a split second near the very end to gauge the roast by seeing how much smoke is present.

most people dont roast the full pound with this machine, most people roast half a pound to 3/4 pound to gain more control. but thats just the nerds who geek out on roaster forums.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not just geeks. I can't do more than 3/4 pound without baking beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See? I really need to hear this. Maybe I need to ratchet back expectations and roast 1/2 pound batches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the last person you should listen to. I roast full pound batches like a barbarian.

I once caught my machine on fire. I think I managed to dislodge the drum and it wasn't rotating. Ash on one side of the drum, green beans on the other. Ever since then I've had to foil-line the chaff tray and interior of the door to try to make up for the soot-induced loss of reflectivity inside the machine.

I'm also on the 1600, not the 1600+, or the 1600 AB. Clearly my mileage varies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See? I really need to hear this. Maybe I need to ratchet back expectations and roast 1/2 pound batches.
    Yeah, I tried all the tricks. Preheat on p1, lift the front of the roaster etc. Always ended up going well beyond 20 min. At least with the plus you can add time. Mine is an original.

Now, I do two 3/4 lb batches. Much better. I am a wimp and do use the Behmor cool function a bit-I cut the roast about 15-20 sec before my target, and after the cooling has run for 30 sec to a minute I open the door. This does result in chaff blowing out, so I keep a handheld dyson handy. But its easier than handling a hot drum inside a hot roaster.

I do almost all Ethiopians these days. Costa Ricans and other SA beans are more forgiving for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glepore View Post
    Yeah, I tried all the tricks. Preheat on p1, lift the front of the roaster etc. Always ended up going well beyond 20 min. At least with the plus you can add time. Mine is an original.

Now, I do two 3/4 lb batches. Much better. I am a wimp and do use the Behmor cool function a bit-I cut the roast about 15-20 sec before my target, and after the cooling has run for 30 sec to a minute I open the door. This does result in chaff blowing out, so I keep a handheld dyson handy. But its easier than handling a hot drum inside a hot roaster.

I do almost all Ethiopians these days. Costa Ricans and other SA beans are more forgiving for sure.
    Educate me on the cooling bit. I let it cool on the cooling cycle for about 6 to 8 mins. than dump. Is it a good thing to cool faster? I still have my hillbilly home depot cooling setup so I could use heat gloves and dump into that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Educate me on the cooling bit. I let it cool on the cooling cycle for about 6 to 8 mins. than dump. Is it a good thing to cool faster? I still have my hillbilly home depot cooling setup so I could use heat gloves and dump into that.
    I cool immediately, again, its a control thing. i want the roast to end when im done, not extend another 30 seconds while the beans release energy.
    its not even that hot. i reach in with a hand towel, pull the barrel, dump it into a colander with a box fan blowing on it, then press cool to let the unit cool, i dont use its coll function at all.

heres my process again:
    250g beans (roughly)
    preheat unit for 2 mins
    setting 1lb P2. hit start
    i watch for the roast temp to get to max at 292 before it begins to drop, usually around 9:30 on timer. when it drops approx 275, i hit 5 to keep the power going and the roast temp up around the 260s, or the unit dumps too much heat and beans will drop to 240s and bake instead of continuing into first crack.

first crack almost always comes with 5-6 minutes left on the roast cycle.
    as soon as i hear the first crack, i hit p1 to go back to auto roast, hit "C" to avoid the auto shutoff function (gives like 3:40 on the timer or something?), and then let the roast develop to where i want, almost always just before 2nd crack, which takes about 2 to 2.5 minutes after hearing first cracks.
    I dont add any time at all to the roast.

so in summary, roast begins with 18 mins. at minute 9 or so, i up the temp, at minute 12 or so i get cracks, then im done in 15 mins, no baking of beans, lots of flavor profiles, not too light and acidic at all.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the quicker you get them to room temperature once you've hit your target the better.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is pure gold.

I'll need to dig into the instructions to see what I have to press on my version of the unit to see temps blah blah blah but yeah thank you.

I get it, manually control the temp.

Got it, thanks Shoogs.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-24-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is pure gold.

I'll need to dig into the instructions to see what I have to press on my version of the unit to see temps blah blah blah but yeah thank you.

I get it, manually control the temp.

Got it, thanks Shoogs.
    usually its the B button to view temp
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree regarding cooling. I made a box with a bathroom fan blowing upwards in the base and a cutout for a $2 sieve in the top. I transfer the roast to the sieve-in-a-box at the end of stage 4 and stir with a gloved hand until the chaff is blown off (maybe a minute). By then it's cool enough to stir with an ungloved hand.

I just bought myself a proper sawdust extractor for the sanding bench on which I do the final prep for my bike tubes, looking at it I reckon it is going to see double duty as a chaff extractor during the roast.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ripping thru the last 2 lbs I roasted so that I can try these suggestions so thanks for all that my friends.

Sometimes I get in my own way. This morning I loaded the latest roast into my grinder, not thinking, proceeded to dose 17 grams into the flair (manual espresso) and tried to pull a shot. Nah, not a chance. Every new roast requires a different grind and I'd just created a 17 gram brick ;) Feh.