Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarterly Coffee Exchange: June 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quarterly Coffee Exchange: June 2017

Trying GKK roast #1 this morning. I think I prefer it to #2. I'm a little surprised because I thought I'd prefer #2.

One of the things I noticed with roasting the same Colombia Monseratte that TT is familiar with is that any roast under ~FC had a really distinct flavor. I assumed this was the "grassy" under roasted taste. I'm not so sure now. I can taste it in the GKK#1, but it 'sits in the mix' to use a musical metaphor. Sort of the same way you might listen to a song and comment "man, that bass guitar sounds really good" without having it overpower the mix. You can hear it when you listen for it, but otherwise it's just part of the song. The Monseratte it was like walking past a night club, it was all that I could taste. What is that taste? Is it what people refer to as acidity?

In truth, when I think about that grassy taste, I think of it as being more like a howling wah-wah pedal, less like a bass instrument. However, a bass instrument works better for the nightclub comparison.

I'm on board for the 0.5lbs/0.5lbs plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beans from my pen pal defspace arrived yesterday, had two cups this morning through the espresso machine.

I lucked out a bit and nailed the grind & weight on the first try, both shots were just right in terms of extraction.

Here's the grind before tamp. No chaff to speak of (nicely done.)

Here's the second shot in the cup:

Really quite nice! I tasted a good amount of honey, not bitter or harsh at all. Very much enjoyed it. More notes as I have a few more cups over the holiday weekend...time to go exercise while the caffeine is still working for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah the cremea is amazing. Nice work.

I think you are describing the acidity.

Seeing how little chaff is in yours I'm feeling nervous. I de-chaff by tossing the finished beans in the air infront of the bucket vaccum setup like a blower which is far from perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First pull of Too Talll's Columbia this morning. Definately a dark roast, close if not into French range. Even roast color and sheen throughout. Very good espresso shot. Nice crema, good long aftertaste.

Great job Josh. Excellent dark roast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, too cool. I had never even considered that the beans I roasted would go into espresso. I would love to see how the espresso extraction compares to my usual pour over.

You guys are reigniting my espresso machine desire. I should really stay away from Vsalon. Y'all are a bunch of enablers.

As far as chaff goes, I know it's not desirable, but what's the downside? What does a chaffy cup taste like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, drinking gkk #2. Pour over with paper filter.

this is just solid. My girlfriend (she who teases me about having a coffee pen pal!) said the coffee is "rich with a bit *makes pinched fingers* of acidity." I think she's spot on, though I think #1 has a bit more acidity. No thin cup of coffee here.

After grinding, I remembered that I was thinking about sizing down on the grind a bit for more extraction, but I'm glad I didn't. This is really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very glad that the beans are doing it for ya, defspace. In my experience, the more you roast the less acidity is left in the beans, so it makes some sense that you have a touch more taste of that in batch #1. For batch #2 I was going for darker, to try to put more space in between the two roasts than what ended up happening, oh well. By the way, for my taste, some acidity is not a bad thing – just wait until we are roasting some African varietals.

Chaff just adds bitterness to the brew. Next time you are roasting, take a piece of chaff and put it on your tongue for a few seconds, and you will know forevermore what you're tasting. A little chaff is unavoidable especially in lighter/medium roasts. (Looking at TooTall's Vienna-to-French roast, I wouldn't expect any chaff to be left.) I just try to spend the time agitating the beans through my fingers while cooling to get any remaining chaff to come off the bean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah. Thank you thank you thank you. In fact other than yourself my wife and I are the only ones who have had my roasts so we really appreciate the feedback.

I might try for a lighter roast with those particular beans and see if I can get more nuanced flavors to come thru.

If I managed to get all the chaff out it is strictly dumb luck. Basically I look like a farmer tossing grains in the wind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Woah. Thank you thank you thank you. In fact other than yourself my wife and I are the only ones who have had my roasts so we really appreciate the feedback.

I might try for a lighter roast with those particular beans and see if I can get more nuanced flavors to come thru.

If I managed to get all the chaff out it is strictly dumb luck. Basically I look like a farmer tossing grains in the wind.

Second pull today, and I must say, it is a damn good roast. I don't normally go for very dark roast as to me it usually tastes burnt. Too Tall's roast doesn't taste overcooked at all, infact, the aftertaste is quite good.

I think if you were to end this roast at just about 10 seconds into second crack, this would be a great tasting roast.

Again, excellent Josh. Can't wait for the afternoon shot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done deal. I'll keep notes and start to get a little more granular with the roast data vs going by sound and sight. I'm going to stop the heat 100% and maintain the rotation 2 mins. before I normally stop and see if that does the trick.

SO! I made a Moka Pot with yours today. First impression is that it has alot of nuances mine lacks and a distinct earthy after taste. I think it will make terrific french press this afternoon :)

jbagdo1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybagadonuts View Post
    Second pull today, and I must say, it is a damn good roast. I don't normally go for very dark roast as to me it usually tastes burnt. Too Tall's roast doesn't taste overcooked at all, infact, the aftertaste is quite good.

I think if you were to end this roast at just about 10 seconds into second crack, this would be a great tasting roast.

Again, excellent Josh. Can't wait for the afternoon shot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monday tasting report: defspace's Colombian is settling in very nicely after a few more days. The honey flavor is getting a bit less dramatic, and in return it is sort of smooth caramel. More pronounced in the espresso as compared with the Aeropress. I don't have a pour-over setup but may have to invest in one if this exchange continues like this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You pricks are making me think about getting a espresso machine.
    This has real potential. Let's set the next date and spend some time luring in a few more suckers ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was anxious to make a few pots of French Press before posting observations, results are in.

Your blend makes very good strong coffee with the Moka Pot. As a French press it is entirely without bitterness and very smooth not a punch in the face. It tastes like two entirely different roasts. I'm really curious to see what it is like as espresso.

It is a win win, I like it alot either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gkk Coffee is headed your way. I went off book, like this non-sanctioned exchange and roasted to first crack than cooled for 1 min. and than more heat for three mins. (until first crack resumed). This is what I've been doing to eek out some nuances. For this particular bean I also want to try the same but only cool for one min. and see if I can get it darker and retain the nuanced flavors....not hopeful. Staying well away from second crack seems to be key.

*Can some genius please make a large rubber stamp with my brand on it? I'll trade a lifetime supply of NFS (2 bottles) for the kindness. Kidding, you can have all the NFS you want or rather can use.

gkk1.jpggkk2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    gkk Coffee is headed your way.
    Backatcha:

I did both batches well through first crack, the first batch was starting to second crack when I cooled it; this roast has been really great for my espresso so hoping you like it in your newfangled Flair. Second batch was done right afterwards with a still-hot machine so despite my plan to do to a lighter roast, it skedaddled through first crack into second and so ended up pretty much looking the same.

Will be interested in your tasting notes, and can't wait to sample the old shoe.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gkk Cool :) Did you get my roast yet? I think mine looks eerily similar to yours. We both hit first crack and "almost" second. Yeah, I'll do a geeky video of your beans running thru my Flair machina'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No roast today TT :(. USPS has it still en route. Yours went out today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    No roast today TT :(. USPS has it still en route. Yours went out today!
    Good timing. Mrs. T.T. Has decimated the stash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12