Thread: @CoffeeTalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: @CoffeeTalk

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    After several years of service, the hinge on my Behmor drum finally gave out. A replacement is on order from Behmor. Lets hope that final pound lasts long enough.
    I got yer back brother. I've got Costa Rica, Ethiopian and a excellent CBC (Coffee Bean Corral) blend I can roast up for you. Say the word and send your mail address.

Friends don't let friends drink crappy coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped in to pick up some tea at our favorite tea shop for my wife for Christmas and I got a tour of the roasting area...just because I'm a cub reporter for VSalon. Definitely some vintage equipment and folks were lined up out the door for JP's roasts. BTW, JP would keep taking out a shovel full of beans, compare it to a sample board that he created and put it back in the drum until he liked what he "saw, smelled and heard" according to him.

Prestogeorge Coffee & Tea in the Strip District - Pittsburgh, PA
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are officially my best friend for that R.W. Looks like a well loved operation. I'm more impressed with all the nuances which say "we are getting it done".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying a Christmas gift from one of the kids...a Sumatran blend from the evil SBUX Reserve Roastery.

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they actually taste this brew? It's not hard to get increased extraction from a coarser grind: you just have to raise the temperature (and / or pressure). The problem comes, to paraphrase Hugh Johnson, with making it taste as though it was a good idea.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Did they actually taste this brew? It's not hard to get increased extraction from a coarser grind: you just have to raise the temperature (and / or pressure). The problem comes, to paraphrase Hugh Johnson, with making it taste as though it was a good idea.
    HA! Good quote.

For the record I will put my $120 Flair manual espresso up against all comers.

I do appreciate the willingness to "try shite" for the sake of, well, good press.

Just ignore me today, I'm in a mood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    No kidding! I'd also question the potential lack of pressure. Part of the wonder of espresso is the fat extraction under pressure that does not happen when brewing coffee. Would a course grind with less beans mean a lack of pressure and less extraction of these essential fats? can you even call is espresso then? or is it something different altogether?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that article is to espresso drinkers what Bicycling Magazine is to VSalonistas.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 01-23-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positive Attitude Friday.

Got some really, really good locally roasted stuff in the grinder this morning. Colombian. Tasty. C'mon weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep your eyes open for sumatras this season, i have one coming that is very highly rated. apparently its a very good year for them, or so ive been told.
    Ill report back after i receive and roast up a batch.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    keep your eyes open for sumatras this season, i have one coming that is very highly rated. apparently its a very good year for them, or so ive been told.
    Ill report back after i receive and roast up a batch.
    Don't hold back. Details! Sources!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For many years I've been making the daily brew with a little Hario hand grinder and an Espro french press.

I liked the taste but always found that I really just loved the taste from my local corner coffee ship's drip more. I was using the same bean as the corner shop, fresh Black Mountain from local Bean Around the World roaster.

Daily I'd make a french press at home, drink some of it and bring the rest to the office with me, then mid morning I'd head to the corner and get another coffee. In an attempt to get the same taste and cut out the extra daily cup I decided to change up the coffee system.

Bought a BUNN Speed Brew drip machine and a Baratza Encore grinder. I now have the capacity to brew more than enough to hit the morning cup at home and bring a full thermos with me to the office. The Bunn does't get a Gold Cup rating from the SCA but I think it's because it brews a bit too fast for their rating. Doesn't matter as I really like the taste and it matched what I was getting off the corner commercial drip machine.

Now that I have the Encore I might play a bit more with the basic Breville espresso machine we have, I never really got the little hand grinder to get the grind right for the machine.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't know where else to put this, so here it is...

i got some beans from Verve recently. last week, i think. absolutely horrible from the first drop. i've tried adjusting my grind, my tamp pressure, my dosing...nothing is working. it's been a long time since i've gotten beans that i've had this bad of an experience with.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Espresso machine ROI calculator...a must for any solid marriage.

https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/...-home-espresso
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions for your roasters, my SIL gave me a bag of beans that were so hard, that it sounded like I was grinding concrete and no matter what the grind setting and the tamp, I could not pull a shot with even a non-pressurized basket. I secretly emptied them from the grinder hopper and composted them. Is the term espresso roast a combination of time, temperature and bean type?
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Questions for your roasters, my SIL gave me a bag of beans that were so hard, that it sounded like I was grinding concrete and no matter what the grind setting and the tamp, I could not pull a shot with even a non-pressurized basket. I secretly emptied them from the grinder hopper and composted them. Is the term espresso roast a combination of time, temperature and bean type?
    is it possible they were so old they had completely dried out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Nick said OR they were very under-roasted which leads me to my current rant. WT(HOLY)heck is up with these roasters who swear on bended knees that I'm burning my beans and taking all the nuances out of them be roasting to City. Gawd forbid City++. Question mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks boys…the noise was horrible and I thought that I might damage a burr. The worms will break down the beans for sure and thank me for the treats too.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    What Nick said OR they were very under-roasted which leads me to my current rant. WT(HOLY)heck is up with these roasters who swear on bended knees that I'm burning my beans and taking all the nuances out of them be roasting to City. Gawd forbid City++. Question mark.
    They are the same dudes (let’s face it… it’s always dudes) who insist that unless the IPA is triple dry hopped and peels your lips inside out you’re drinking beer-water.

I think it’s an instance of people not actually being able to taste, or not being able to pay attention to taste. So they search for something unique, arresting… and the results are extreme and unpleasant.