Thread: @CoffeeTalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: @CoffeeTalk

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    i've been avoiding the home roasting gig as much as i can, but lately, my local store has been getting some rather old beans...still, i really don't want to get into roasting. randomly i stumbled across what is perhaps the best resource for beans that i have found.

Trade | The Home For Better Coffee. Freshly Roasted To Order For You

first order arrived after 2 days, shipped 2 days after roasting. pretty much perfect.

Still using this Dustin? I do the single origin subscription from Counter culture and fill in locally if needed. I tried mistobox for a couple months in addition to the CC, but I had horrible, horrible experiences with shipping. Some coffees took 3 weeks to arrive after payment was taken, not cool paying $18 for 12oz of 20 day old roasts. Customer service was rubbish and they couldn't really care less about the delays which happened 3-4 times. Needless to say, would never ever recommend mistobox after that. I'm interested in the concept though and trade has been on my radar to try, may give it a shot just to see.
    So I say to youth right now. Don't sway to the unjust,
    no matter what they say, never give in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    Still using this Dustin? I do the single origin subscription from Counter culture and fill in locally if needed. I tried mistobox for a couple months in addition to the CC, but I had horrible, horrible experiences with shipping. Some coffees took 3 weeks to arrive after payment was taken, not cool paying $18 for 12oz of 20 day old roasts. Customer service was rubbish and they couldn't really care less about the delays which happened 3-4 times. Needless to say, would never ever recommend mistobox after that. I'm interested in the concept though and trade has been on my radar to try, may give it a shot just to see.
    yeah, and i love it. i just got some beans today. roasted 3 days ago. it blows my mind that the roast date is 07/02 and USPS got them to me today. the only hiccup so far has been getting whole beans for cold brew instead of preground last time. i just do that so i don't have to mess with my grinder settings. orders are processed fast, and delivery is remarkable.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just walking through the Capital Hill area of Seattle and I stopped for a cup at Victrola Coffee Roasters, where I shot the bean with their roaster Dennis. The small roaster is their "testing" device in which they roast samples from around the world to decide if they want to invest in larger shipments or just give the grower an opinion of the bean. The large unit is good for about 20 kilos at a time. I case you're wondering...in today's dollars $16K for the small unit and $40K for the larger unit...complete with emissions controls.

Victrola Coffee Roasters
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the peek R.W. I've wondered what those Probat units look like up close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Thanks for the peek R.W. I've wondered what those Probat units look like up close.
    It was super quiet and the units are about 13 years old according to Dennis. The device on the back of the large unit is almost like a "scrubber" as King County doesn't permit visible smoke from the roasting process.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    It was super quiet and the units are about 13 years old according to Dennis. The device on the back of the large unit is almost like a "scrubber" as King County doesn't permit visible smoke from the roasting process.
    Now I see it (scrubber). Slick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i miss roasting on a diedrich
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a Hario cold brew pitcher. 80g of grounds steeped for 24 hours is perfect.

$15 device and 80-160g of beans a week to fend off my $11/weekly Chameleon habit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I bought a Hario cold brew pitcher. 80g of grounds steeped for 24 hours is perfect.
    80g for how much H2O, and how many glasses do you get out of that? We built a japanese drip using a cone-shaped separatory funnel (it arrived at the lab with a tiny notch in the glass/glass wedge and I opted to "upcycle" it) and a chemex, but it only holds about 500ml. The coffee is fantastic, but 500ml even highly concentrated doesn't last too long around our house..

In other coffee news, Marseille finally got a proper third-wave shop/roaster so life has vastly improved. They've got that hipster vibe on point but who cares, the coffee is killer good.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    80g for how much H2O, and how many glasses do you get out of that? We built a japanese drip using a cone-shaped separatory funnel (it arrived at the lab with a tiny notch in the glass/glass wedge and I opted to "upcycle" it) and a chemex, but it only holds about 500ml. The coffee is fantastic, but 500ml even highly concentrated doesn't last too long around our house..

In other coffee news, Marseille finally got a proper third-wave shop/roaster so life has vastly improved. They've got that hipster vibe on point but who cares, the coffee is killer good.
    80g of coffee for a 1000ml pitcher- the marker on the glass that's even with the bottom of the filter is 800ml.
    Depending on how concentrated you like it, that's about 6 servings. (~3 days for me when working from home.)

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a cup of 24hr brew juice last week in Athens, Ohio...smooth for sure.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh good grief. That contraption looks like Rube Goldberg resurrected! Pretty cool.
    I used to do some botanical (fragrance) extractions using soxhlet extractors. I still have all the glassware, maybe I should re-purpose some very expensive chemistry equipment???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The owner/barista told me that he sells out every day and he's thinking of building another unit for the cold brew extreme crowd. He just opened the shop about 4-5 months ago and my kid discovered the place and took me there when I visited the other weekend. The kid has a future as a coffee aficionado for sure and with a biochemistry undergrad behind him, perhaps I can fund some equipment and have my own brew when I visit him in Bloomington....hmmmm. Don't tell Mrs. RW.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without breaking a sweat we could order everything you need from Fischer Scientific. All you'd need to do is decide to build a lovely walnut stand for the contraption or go full Breaking Bad.
    Oh...we should over engineer it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone is curious to try Trade Coffee Co's offerings/ ordering process (which i still think is the best thing outside of home roasting), they just sent me this code which will give you 50% off your first bag of beans. Code expires in a week, can be used however many times. To emphasize the amazing-ness, I've yet to get beans older than 3 days.

tradebff_pj27hv

Trade Coffee | The Freshest Coffee. Roasted To Order
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps I can fund some equipment and have my own brew when I visit him in Bloomington.
    Did you mean brewing equipment or roasting?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 2min video from our friends at the BBC...

The oldest coffee in the world - BBC Reel
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 2min video from our friends at the BBC...

The oldest coffee in the world - BBC Reel
    Very cool. Until this, I thought the oldest coffee in the world was at the local IHOP. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is nuts R.W. I saw the video on Netflix (?) a while ago. This confirms that if someone gave me a bag of green beans, a griddle a campfire and a mortar I bet I could roast some good coffee.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-12-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much time on my hands at 3:30AM when my aislemate turned her freakin' video screen on during our redeye....apparently I am buzzworthy.
    rw saunders