User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Photography buffs... check this out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Photography buffs... check this out...

I am not a photography buff, but came across this: Arsenal, the intelligent camera assistant by Ryan Stout —Kickstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Photography buffs... check this out...

Nah this set to program is as automated as I'll get. It's the process that makes it for me. I enjoy having to know all that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're going to develop the software and build the hardware and peripherals, test and ship in six months. OK.
    arsenal.png
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    They're going to develop the software and build the hardware and peripherals, test and ship in six months. OK.
    arsenal.png
    Totes doable bruh! Got minions in Bangladesh and a click-farm to boot!

"Hi, my name is Ryan. I’m a software developer, amateur landscape photographer, and the creator of Arsenal."
    Read: Hi, I can't take the time to compose and consider exposure but I can take the time to try to develop something to do it for me. Find me on ICQ if you're SWF DTF.

On a serious note: Cameras are already so fucking smart. They're so fucking good. There's fucking amazing software that does shit in 10 seconds that used to take dudes like Scott Mutter + jerry uelsmann days to get right. Good for him but no thanks.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there are sports photographers who use remote camera set ups to get things like goal shots, race cars on dangerous corners, or to cover multiple angles. They might use something like this.

Kramon the cycling photographer often sets up several cameras on either side of the road on certain climbs or similar, places where it would be difficult for him to cross the street to reset up something - he might use something like this. But I think he probably already has a laptop with some kind of robust over-air connection so he can take and see the photos taken there. Not sure if an iPhone would be an improvement. Sure it is smaller but if your work already demands carrying a laptop, then this is just redundant.

Edit: ah this isn't that. This is just an automator. Basically the "P" function on your dslr made bigger. I dunno. This has to function for someone, but I don't see who or how. Hobbyists but not pros I suspect. But then hobbyists are the ones with money.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ricoh GR has a smartphone app that can do essentially what this looks like it's trying to accomplish.
    You get full access to all the camera functions via the phone, and the screen mirrors what the camera is seeing.

It's a little bit clunky but like Jorn says above, it's kinda cool to get weird angle shots, etc.

I've also used it at night to avoid camera shake.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuji also has an Android/iOS app that will connect to the camera over wifi that will serve as a remote control for their cameras. Your mobile device displays what the camera's sensor sees.

I've played with it a few times to take self portraits when nobody else is around. It's a bit slow/clunky, but it works just fine and was free.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio