rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Old time hockey, coach

As a Devils fan living in Caps territory, this outcome does not make me sad. Second only to Redskins and O's schaendefraude.

That said, Ovie is pretty damn incredible and it's somewhat sad to think about him retiring like Marino/Ewing for all his greatness. I went to a Caps game about 8 years ago with a bunch of Aussie rules teammates who didn't know hockey from a hole in the head, and asked them to tell me after five minutes of play, who's the best player on the ice. It was no contest. That's a pretty rare thing in my long life of sport fandom. Matched maybe only by Jordan and Gretzky when it comes to athletes I've seen in person.
    You can't observe that kind of dominance in baseball or football, generally.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many hits to the head is Crosby going to be able to take before he has to retire?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell yeah baby, go Penguins! I did not think they had what it takes to get past Washington. Sid has the chance to repeat, maybe hes willing to sacrifice the long term to do whats nearly immortal?

would you?

its a tough question, like doping. when you are elite, you do things you wouldn't do as a hobbyist or serious amateur.

Is Sid taking a chance with his concussions? yeah! Is he about to repeat as Stanley cup champ? most likely. they just beat the 2 best teams from the regular season, why not stomp on the sens and ducks/preds as well. beating the caps was nearly the same as winning the cup anyway.

yup. old time tough ass hockey, and yeah, my beard gets to keep on growin! playoff beard time baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sid the kid is a legend here in Pittsburgh and he is viewed at the same level as other local sports heros such as Lemieux, Bradshaw, Harris, Greene, Blier and I'll say it, even Clemente. The players revere him and the Penguins' coaches always refer to his silent leadership and his unselfishness both on and off the ice. The picture of him and Fleury tells the story in some respects...last on the ice in every game and first to congratulate hard work and sacrifice. I quite frankly did not expect Sid to return to hockey after his events in 2010-2102 and you wonder what's on his mind as he charges the net, knowing that he's marked.

Hockey in Pittsburgh is right up there with football and people tend to view the players in a very personal way and players often comment that they are welcomed here and their personal space is respected. Last night for instance, we had 12 high school juniors watching game seven at our house, decked out in their player jerseys, eating pizza, drinking Coke and screaming their lungs out on every critical play. That doesn't happen for Steeler games as hockey seems to generate a different level of excitement, especially among younger fans.

So let's see where the next series goes with the Senators...it's fun stuff for sure.

PS on a side note, Crosby lived in Lemieux's basement during his first several years in the league. Lemieux offered this to Crosby's parents as he lived the same life when he first entered the league and knew the potential pitfalls of fame and fortune when you're 19 years old. Crosby eventually moved out, bought a home across the street from Mario and lives there today.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im from LA area, but my dads from the Burgh. He took me to see a Kings/Pens game when i was young. mario scored 2 men short handed and Ive been a super fan of super Mario ever since. Yes, he was a better player than Gretzky. everyone knows that, even Gretzky.

Sid is incredible, what he can do in the modern era is astounding. and hes so humble.

I had my Kessel Jersey on, my dog had her pens jersey on too. we were both yelling at the tv a lot, and when they scored that second goal, she was so excited! she loves the pens!

Go Pens, I like our road from here on out. The Preds have warmed up in time for the playoffs, but they just had to face the weak teams out west.

Most fans know this was the series to show who was best this year! the cup came 2 series early!

and once more, GO PENS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in Montreal. I went to school with Geoff Molson. Seen two cups won in-person.

I now live outside DC. I get brought to games all the time, as folks know I'm game and sometimes a stereotype (all Canadians love hockey) is a stereotype for a reason.

I just can't bring myself to love the Caps. They play like an assemblage of deeply talented individual players. 8 is an incredible talent, but also very quick to slash, high-stick, elbow, etc. And his +/- is terrible. It's not a team. It's a series of individuals following the lead of a marquee player who is so deeply talented, but not so much in team leadership.

Hopefully, for the fans in this town, they'll blow up the team and rebuild. In the meantime, yeah, certainly I enjoyed the Pens in this series, as I enjoyed Toronto in the last one. Malkin is impressive. But I'll be cheering on the Sens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My youngest has his prom tonight...it just happens to be across street from the PPG Paints Arena and he texted this photo of he and his date...both Penguins fans of course.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In front of the Mario shrine.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

not sure how much it means to any of you, but my wife's uncle is Gilbert Perreault. Too bad I wasn't a hockey fan growing up in the south, so most of what I've seen of him are highlight tapes, but he could skate and handle a stick like very few that I've seen. unselfish. played his entire career for the same (small market) team

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bummer of a game last night, but plenty of time left...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    not sure how much it means to any of you, but my wife's uncle is Gilbert Perreault. Too bad I wasn't a hockey fan growing up in the south, so most of what I've seen of him are highlight tapes, but he could skate and handle a stick like very few that I've seen. unselfish. played his entire career for the same (small market) team
    It means a lot to me being a Buffalo guy. Gilbert was the best! After that whole OJ fiasco, he is our only true sports hero left! (And please don't say Jim Kelly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Stanley Cup playoffs are the best athletic spectacle in the US. Nothing like the endless intensity, speed, toughness, and brilliance. Baseball and football look like bowling in comparison, and soccer like ballet (I actually like ballet, but you get the point). And the league has parity, and international following, and some charismatic stars.

With that said, I'm sick of Pittsburgh. My Pittsburgh cousins have become so arrogant about hockey (I'm a Blues fan) that we can barely watch games together. Sid is fine, but I've lost my enthusiasm for watching him. Was rooting for the Caps since I like Ovi and Trotz.

Karlsson is the most exciting player on the ice this series, and might be the most impressive player in the NHL right now--right up there with Crosby and McDavid. I would love to see him demolish the Preds in the SCF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bounces going our way tonight! Go Pens!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same motley collection of high school juniors at our home last night watching the game. They're undefeated when gathered as a group and now they are feeling the power and the pressure of the group mojo. Combined with wearing their crusty old Pens jerseys and wannabe playoff peach fuzz beards, it's a pretty humorous sight to see.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13 goals in the last two games. Goalies apparently aren't highly regarded in this series.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Senators vs Penguins: Game 7 thursday night.

Nothing better than a game 7!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hockey tifosi in my house are already performing their rituals, laying out their unwashed jerseys and checking to see that the cable tv box is in perfect working order. Should be a good one for sure.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    The hockey tifosi in my house are already performing their rituals, laying out their unwashed jerseys and checking to see that the cable tv box is in perfect working order. Should be a good one for sure.
    Prediction: Ottawa 2, Pittsburgh 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Prediction: Ottawa 2, Pittsburgh 1
    I would really like to see Ottawa (place I first called home in NA) in the finals but the Pens have this game 7 knack............4-1 in favor of Pittsburgh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast