Thread: Stolen from Carl Strong......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stolen from Carl Strong......

Where will you be in 5 years:

I hope to be building 50 bikes a year (all complete bikes) while still being a major part of the bike shop. I would like less part of the shops daily workings but still have a full understanding of what is happening.

I am a tool junky and would like my shop to expand a touch with more dedicated tooling and streamline the process as much as possible.

If all goes well in 5 years i will have a full powder coating booth and media area added to my shop. I would love wet paint but the city of Philadelphia is tough and permits would kill me. Not interested in making it under the radar (not my style).

Lastly i hope to be attending my 8th NAHBS!!!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by EnginCycles; 01-05-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Explantion

I realize I lacked explanation. In the version I of frameforum Carl Strong started a thread entitled "where will you be in 5 years?". This thread was IMO the best conversation that ever happened on the interweb. Unfortunately it is gone since when the site crashed the content was lost. SO, this is my attempt to re-due a similar conversation with lots of the same folks 2+ years or so after the first conversation took place.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch this.

shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want to be doing exactly what i am doing right now. i hope that the powers that be allow me that. steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moved into the building out back of the current building. The one with the 12 story smokestack, the 6" gas lines, the hydro turbines. Employing 30 people full time, heattreat, powder and ano on site.. Thinking about hiring some robots... Donating 50% of our profits to the local art collective, 30% funding junior racing, 20% going towards the indoor velodrome/bmx track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Moved into the building out back of the current building. The one with the 12 story smokestack, the 6" gas lines, the hydro turbines. Employing 30 people full time, heattreat, powder and ano on site.. Thinking about hiring some robots... Donating 50% of our profits to the local art collective, 30% funding junior racing, 20% going towards the indoor velodrome/bmx track.
    You guys should file for non-profit status. Now that's an interesting and fresh business model for the bike biz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 years? Building 100 bikes a year would satisfy me.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In five years I'd like to be able to make my wife smile instead of the dogs howling when I play this:

"It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.