Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Sorry to start another bag thread but the commuter/day-pack and bike bag/box threads did not seem appropriate.

My wife and I are travelling more for pleasure as part of our child-free and non-home-owner life (apartment rental living is awesome). We do not travel for work but I assume suggestions will be about the same even though we have no need to bring a laptop, sometimes a tablet, and always a small point and shoot camera.

A bag (for me) and roller (for her) that is international standard size carry-on to hold toiletries, magazines, travel guide book(s), a book, hat, tablet, chargers, and 2 changes of clothes for when we travel internationally (they always lose our checked luggage for 1-2 days when we fly internationally - cough, cough, United) and will also be good for our 2-3 day shorter USA based trips to visit family. For international, we would also check a larger bag but for USA shorter trips the carry-on would be the only piece (unless we are going for a longer trip and then we would also check a larger bag).

Me (non-roller): I do not want a roller (don't ask because it's like trying to convince me to drop rim brakes for disc brakes - not ready and do not see the value for my needs). I want a convertible/hybrid soft sided bag. I have seen these and would like actual feedback on them or recommendations for ones you think are as good or better:

Timbuk2 Wingman
    eBags Mother Lode Weekender
    eBags Professional Weekender
    eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender

Her (roller): She wants a hard-sided roller but there are so many options I do not even know where to start.

Help from regular travelers (business or pleasure) would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

For a roller bag I've been very happy with my Tumi. I've got the cordura softshell case but they also have a hardshell. Yes, they're expensive, but I've beaten the hell outta the thing over the last 5 years and it just keeps on ticking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you, a Duluth Pack Jet-Setter: Jet-Setter Duffel Pack - Duffels | Made in USA | Guaranteed For Life | Duluth Pack If I didn't want a roller, it's what I would use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leisure / Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light (One Bag)!

after reading a bunch of things on that site, I simplified my packing for travel and wound up with two RedOxx bags: C-Ruck and SkyTrain. Both have been 'round the world and the US and barely shown signs of use. But my travel has tapered off, so they just sit in the closet... (too bad there isn't a forum for that, eh?..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helpful but not always easy if you go on a bike/hike/kayak vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
    Leisure / Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light (One Bag)!

after reading a bunch of things on that site, I simplified my packing for travel and wound up with two RedOxx bags: C-Ruck and SkyTrain. Both have been 'round the world and the US and barely shown signs of use. But my travel has tapered off, so they just sit in the closet... (too bad there isn't a forum for that, eh?..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patagonia LLC is my go-to. It'll fit at your feet when the overheads are full and everyone else is gate checking their rollers.
    It has backpack style straps for when you need it but they stow nicely out of sight otherwise.

Add an Eagke Creek packing folder or two and it's good for a week on the road in business clothes, or two weeks for a warm weather vacation.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Patagonia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
    RedOxx bags: C-Ruck and SkyTrain.
    Pasta has good taste yo.

Air Boss for me. Great carry bag, fits as much as a small roll aboard. The Red Oxx guys make damn fine gear. Might pick up an Aviator duffle for 1-2 day trips.

For work I always go with a small backpack that fits laptop, iPad and the few other things I always want with me. The other bag is for clothes and gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non roller bag

I had an earlier version of this. It was pretty awesome.

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Travel-Biker/
    Colin Mclelland