User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Patagonia Black Hole 45 L duffle: 2x 3 week safaris in southern Africa with this an an old Patagonia briefcase, for Oly Mark II camera body, three lens, good binos, Patagonia houdini rain shell and a hat. Trips included two night stops in Paris in November so some warm stuff also essential. Everything washable - lot of wool or light synthetics, wool socks. Layering is your friend even off the bike. Now, the safari camps offered wash services which were essential (essentially someone else doing the handwashing and hanging on a line). But I'm perfectly happy to throw REI or ex officio boxers in a sink and hang on a line in the shower.

I haven't checked a bag, unless I'm taking a bike or going on extended dive trip with all my gear, in at least 5 years, maybe more. This Patagonia big is my go to and usually my only bag. Usually I can take a computer brief case fits within if the trip is 5 days or less. Waiting on bags and schlepping a lot of crap to cover my body in oversize heavy suitcases ain't my idea of a vacation. Yep, we all differ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And someone turned me on to this:

Nomatic Travel Bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully acknowledge that I might be obsessed (or turning into a travel bag whore) but I am surprised that nobody mentioned this one from LL Bean:

LL Bean Continental Travel Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how I did not think of this one

BaileyWorks Whalemouth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Not sure how I did not think of this one

BaileyWorks Whalemouth

I just took a trip where I used one of my BaileyWorks messengers and it actually made for a fantastic carry on. I have two Super Pro Messenger bags, one in Medium and one in XL. I took the XL and it was just the right size to fit a ton of stuff in an easy to carry way. And easy to carry was key as I also had a baby and the tons of accessories they require for travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought I would update this thread since I finally bought something and actually used it. After much research, I purchased the eBags TLS Motherload Weekender Convertible. We used it as a carry-on for our recent two week vacation to NorCal and I could not be happier with it.

We used it and a larger checked roller as planned. The eBags carry-on swallowed a change of clothes for each of us, a fleece for each of us, both our dopp kits, water bottles, a car GPS, guidebooks, magazines, books, and both our bike helmets (I was amazed they fit). After all of that, it still had room to spare.

My wife was amazed at how much she can pack in it she is going to use it for a 4 day Florida adventure at the end of July.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345