User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Almost a year later I can finally laugh about the ordeal but forgot to add the reason I wrote dragged so often is because during the time our bag was MIA between BOS and HEA someone broke one of the wheels so we were literally dragging that bag around in Europe.

I feel very lucky to be with my wife because in these types of situations we fall into "at least we are together mode". I can't imagine if we had to add kids into the mix.

I would agree that liesure air travel blows these days and depending on the airline it sucks for business travelers as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Almost a year later I can finally laugh about the ordeal but forgot to add the reason I wrote dragged so often is because during the time our bag was MIA between BOS and HEA someone broke one of the wheels so we were literally dragging that bag around in Europe.

I feel very lucky to be with my wife because in these types of situations we fall into "at least we are together mode". I can't imagine if we had to add kids into the mix.

I would agree that liesure air travel blows these days and depending on the airline it sucks for business travelers as well.
    I would say that almost without exception, air travel nowadays is the most de-humanizing experience known to man. I have come to hate it so much, that if there is any possibility at all I will avoid travel, and if I must travel and it is remotely feasible, I drive.

I have become a great fan of video conferencing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYFixie, you meant LHR. Not to be too pedantic, but HEA is in Afganistan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will defer to you as you are much more of a flyboy than I these days although I have heard Afghanistan can be quite lovely in the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    NYFixie, you meant LHR. Not to be too pedantic, but HEA is in Afganistan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I watched this over the weekend:

Packing Light & Right with Rick Steves

Sparing you the 45 minute video, the summary is pack everything you need for a European vacation/trip in a carry-on bag similar to the Patagonia MLC, Timbuk2 Wingman, Tom Bihn 45, Rick Steve's version, or the like and also take a "day bag" with you. The most interesting part for me was that he says you can do it if you pack light and do laundry on vacation via the hotel service, hotel sink, or local laundromat. I say WTF, it is vacation and I want a vacation from work and my personal responsibilities (i.e. laundry).

Is it even possible to take two weeks of clothes and unmentionables in one carry-on without doing laundry?
    (and don't tell me about getting two days out of underwear and socks by turning them inside out because I am past that point in my life)

Anyone do it? How can you make it happen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My feeling is that many of us tend to overpack to one degree or another.
    To contend with this, my technique is to array everything on my bed and put a half-dozen garments back into the armoire.
    If in a jam...I will simply purchase a garment at my destination if truly urgent rather than bring 20-lbs of "maybe" stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it even possible to take two weeks of clothes and unmentionables in one carry-on without doing laundry?
    (and don't tell me about getting two days out of underwear and socks by turning them inside out because I am past that point in my life)

Anyone do it? How can you make it happen?
    this is a question only you can answer. too many variables for us to answer and personal preference too.

climate is a huge part of the equation. it is obviously way easier to pack if cold weather gear is not part of the equation. how often will you need formal, or semi formal attire? as a bare bones approach, i can easily wear the same pair of jeans, a few button down shirts and handful of boxer-briefs for two weeks and pack in a shoulder bag. once you start needing dress attire for dinner engagements, hiking shoes and clothes for side excursions, beach gear, sweaters for cold nights, workout gear, etc - it gets tighter.

i'm an absolute minimalist traveler. if i were going to europe for two weeks in warm weather, solely on leisure travel i could easily pack in a carry-on roller bag, NO PROBLEM. my wife - NO WAY!

you have to decide what you're comfortable with and what you're actually going to need, based on what you're going to do while away.

oh - dont forget - your wife is going to want to buy a bunch of stuff that needs to get home somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am going for 2 weeks (14 days) there will be at least 14 pairs of boxer briefs, 14 sets of socks, and 14 white tshirts. This one is non-negotiable ATMO. I can easily wear other stuff multiple times.

I have a great wife/friend/partner and without sounding to sexist, I do think "generally" it is not as easy for women to pack light and that is more about societal norms than any individual preference of said member of the fairer sex.

I am one of 8 siblings (7 boys and 1 girl) and on the most recent trip to Denver for a family event with people coming in from all over the country, and as much as the "sisters-in-law" like/love and care for each-other, see each-other all the time, would do anything for each-other and each-others kids, there was a one-up-woman-ship that was an undercurrent of the weekend. Heard too many times over the weekend:
    - What are you wearing tonight?
    - What are you wearing tomorrow morning to the service?
    - Are you wearing the same thing tomorrow night for the party?
    - What about Sunday's event that is more casual?
    - Are you changing before you get on the plane to go home?
    - Do you want to go running Saturday afternoon and/or Sunday? (and an entire other set of outfits and options needed)

And for the men the answers were/are simpler (and obviously unfair in relation to the women):
    Fri - Jeans/Sweater
    Sat day - suit, shirt, tie
    Sat night - same as sat day
    Sunday - Do I actually have to wear clothes? Fine, I'll just wear what I wore on Friday night
    Running - All men say to wives "How about I let the kids/cousins hang out in older brother's backyard and the husbands will watch them." (again, do they men really need clothes for this activity?)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    this is a question only you can answer. too many variables for us to answer and personal preference too.

....handful of boxer-briefs for two weeks.....

i'm an absolute minimalist traveler. if i were going to europe for two weeks in warm weather, solely on leisure travel i could easily pack in a carry-on roller bag, NO PROBLEM. my wife - NO WAY!

you have to decide what you're comfortable with and what you're actually going to need, based on what you're going to do while away.

oh - dont forget - your wife is going to want to buy a bunch of stuff that needs to get home somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am going for 2 weeks (14 days) there will be at least 14 pairs of boxer briefs, 14 sets of socks, and 14 white tshirts. This one is non-negotiable ATMO.
    and this is why it's such an individual question! different norms for different people.

i will say this: if you must have fresh stuff for each day - look into other materials to save space and weight. for example - ultra thin merino wool socks, or even ultra thin cotton ankle cut socks can be quite comfortable and take up literally a fraction of the space of what you might be used to. t-shirts the same. uniqlo for example has a technical tshirt that is made of some synthetic material that i guarantee, 14 compactly folded will take the amount of space of 5 standard cotton undershirts.

i travel with a pair of merrell "barefoot" running shoes that take up the space and weight of about 1/3 the pair of regular running shoes and work well for my feet.

once you travel a lot on a tight space budget you get an eye for "fat trimming" products.

just some suggestions, i'm not implying that anyone is doing anything "wrong"...

cheers. good conversation. i've been travelling a ton lately and honing what i carry over a while. it's kind of a fun challenge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for perspective by the way - travelling solo i've made it through multiple weeks in europe out of a backpack, including some actual business stuff.

my background is the merchant marine. i've been away on a ship for months and months at a time with a lockers worth of gear. not a lot of space and made out just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I watched this over the weekend:[..]he says you can do it if you pack light and do laundry on vacation via the hotel service, hotel sink, or local laundromat. I say WTF, it is vacation and I want a vacation from work and my personal responsibilities (i.e. laundry).

Can it really considered work or personal responsibilities when the laundry is done by the hotel service ? I don't think so.

Not much thing to add to this thread except my experience is that rollers tend to make people act stupidly. Like very stupidly: at the top of the escalators instead of carrying the bag for like 2 aditionnal meters and clear the exit people with rollers will just stop right at the top to slowly put down the bag on its wheels forcing the people behind them to do some emergency escape/gymnastic in order to not ram into them. I'm not a violent person but everytime it happens I just want to slap those people at the back of the head.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slap them in the face this way they do not think you are taking a cheap shot by hitting them from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Can it really considered work or personal responsibilities when the laundry is done by the hotel service ? I don't think so.

Not much thing to add to this thread except my experience is that rollers tend to make people act stupidly. Like very stupidly: at the top of the escalators instead of carrying the bag for like 2 aditionnal meters and clear the exit people with rollers will just stop right at the top to slowly put down the bag on its wheels forcing the people behind them to do some emergency escape/gymnastic in order to not ram into them. I'm not a violent person but every time it happens I just want to slap those people at the back of the head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

Not much thing to add to this thread except my experience is that rollers tend to make people act stupidly. Like very stupidly: at the top of the escalators instead of carrying the bag for like 2 aditionnal meters and clear the exit people with rollers will just stop right at the top to slowly put down the bag on its wheels forcing the people behind them to do some emergency escape/gymnastic in order to not ram into them. I'm not a violent person but everytime it happens I just want to slap those people at the back of the head.
    I was trying to get on the Up escalator in Phoenix airport the other day.

A group had got off the down elevator and were busy hugging and kissing the people meeting them, all in front of the escalators. No one could get on the up, People couldn't get off the Down. Completely ignored all of the "excuse mes" ............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...If I am going for 2 weeks (14 days) there will be at least 14 pairs of boxer briefs, 14 sets of socks, and 14 white tshirts. This one is non-negotiable ATMO..."
    Embracing high-quality wool tee-shirts and superb SwiftWick olefin socks will make packing much easier.
    You could then take 14 briefs, 7 tee-shirts, and 7 pairs of socks.

Simply take the tee-shirts and socks into the shower with you and hang dry.
    They will literally go from damp to totally wearable in 30 minutes or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped by a local REI to check these two out which have been recommended earlier in this thread.

Wow, are they really small. How the heck do people make these work for up to 2 weeks?

Timbuk2 Wingman Carry-On Travel Bag

Eagle Creek Tarmac Carry-On

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the market for a new duffel that won't break the bank.

Dunno if the Kelty Versant duffel has made an appearance in this thread yet, but it looks pretty good from here:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently discovered these guys - Flowfold - US made in Maine.

X-Pac duffel for $99.

Has a sealed side zip for easy access and the logo is relatively discrete (would be better if there was no logo at all, atmo).

Still, seems like a solid deal.

https://www.flowfold.com/product/conductor-duffle-bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some quick thoughts about the eBags. We have a pair of eBags Mother Lode Convertibles that have been great for traveling. Lots of pockets, easy to stuff things in with packing cubes or not, easy to carry a suit and work shoes, laptop, gadgets. I wear mine as a backpack for business travel and have never been asked to gate check it and it will fit under seats or overhead. The chest strap is the only thing that's a bit flimsy but it's not critical to the weight bearing. I wouldn't go hiking with it but for getting around quickly it's very convenient and easy. Can be expanded to carry a lot of stuff but compressed it looks like an ordinary backpack.

We have a B&R roll-on which we use when traveling with the kids. So far my kids have climbed on and ridden it (40+ lbs plus whatever's in there) and it's been very sturdy.

That said, having started going down the deep hole that is Tom Bihn, I'll probably buy a Western Flyer/Tristar/Aeronaut 30 as my business traveling picks up. The stuff is just so well-made and thoughtful in design that you can't go wrong. My wife would say there's absolutely nothing wrong with the eBags and she would be right. But they make good stuff and are good people so there's that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    I recently discovered these guys - Flowfold - US made in Maine.

X-Pac duffel for $99.
    My sister lives in Maine and a while back got me a Flowfold wallet. Simple, but practical. I liked it so much I had her get me another "minimalist" model too.

They're well made.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast