User Tag List

Page 29 of 60 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Wow. I don't think there is really anywhere you could get that sort of acreage and rural feeling that close to Sydney. And if there was, we sure as hell wouldn't be able to afford it! Nice.
    We have no wombats. A serious omission.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling square poop at farmer's markets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garage is coming along. Slight redesign on the door width to allow for tall cabinets on the left (north) end. Shop is on the right. The garage is now going to be fully insulated. Exterior will be standing seam exterior cladding.

ingarage.jpg

outgarage.jpg

Next week the concrete wizards come back to complete the exterior concrete sections, then framing of the house will begin.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-02-2019 at 09:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad to see your contractor did not use Advantec

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Glad to see those rebar safety caps Jorn. Now you’re not (totally) responsible if a deer impails itself.
    file this under go figure

I had to leave the next day for SF for the second time in a month for a family emergency, and came back from walking my dogs without Fletcher, who usually wanders far afield without worrying me.

When I saw the puncture, my first thought was deer, but then I realized they shed their antlers. Then I saw the bump in his hip.

Impaled on a stick.

He's right as rain now, none the worse for wear. The vet had seen this twice in thirty years, but asking around it is not at all uncommon. They cannot see under the snow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor doggie. Doesn't look like he was feeling particularly happy at that moment.

I've already heard one cautionary tale about falling while wearing snowshoes and getting lacerated by a stick up a sleeve on an outstretched arm.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a shot from slightly earlier in the process. You can see the water line and drain for the shop sink coming up through the slab in the back corner. That's where all the (bike) magic is going to happen. Of course I'll also need a few things for making outdoor furniture and other endless projects.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    file this under go figure

I had to leave the next day for SF for the second time in a month for a family emergency, and came back from walking my dogs without Fletcher, who usually wanders far afield without worrying me.

When I saw the puncture, my first thought was deer, but then I realized they shed their antlers. Then I saw the bump in his hip.

Impaled on a stick.

He's right as rain now, none the worse for wear. The vet had seen this twice in thirty years, but asking around it is not at all uncommon. They cannot see under the snow...
    Zeus did that running in the snow, he had to get some stitches. Hope your pup healed up quick.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same with my dog - one bill was $650 - (he stayed overnight, happened on a Sunday evening) and now just yesterday he scratched his eye - battle with the wife last night to let it go for day before going to the vet, especially the animal hospital on a Sunday afternoon*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vet was in surgery, so I had to go to the ER in Deerfield, knowing it would cost an arm and a leg. I was just back from caring for my dying aunt, and had to return to SF the next day.

My wife and I have a policy that we won't go to extraordinary measures with animals any more, but there was no other way. Sell the car, whatever. 2500$

He was right as rain by the time I returned. The stick missed everything important, and but for the shaved quarter-panel you would not know.

Last week he was barking on the other side of the barn. I yelled. He kept it up. I walked around to find Apple, all 38 years of Morgan fortitude in a pile on the ground where he had fallen on the ice. He was done, had given up. Fletcher licked his eyes while I put on a halter, swung him around somewhat with that and a lead rope so he faced uphill, and after a few tries got his body to follow his head up. He staggered a bit as we walked along the fence in solid snow but made it to the barn, where I covered him with a sleeping bag after brushing out the snowballs.

He's also right as rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farmlife :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm sticking with a tractor.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always, always, always wear your seat belt, and keep the ROPS up and locked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few more steps accomplished. A little here and there on the garage. Concrete work around the sill of the house in preparation for framing. Final prep for pouring the slab for the porch. Also lost two spindly pines to the high winds we've been having. After thinning, we expected to lose some, but hopefully not too many more. A lot of rock where they were, not much dirt.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-09-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In what direction does the garage slab tilt? I would have thought that it would be toward the door, which it doesn't appear to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does tilt towards the door. Any apparent back slope in the photo is from the optics of the super wide angle lens. And the ice along the back wall - that's the remnants of snow blown in through the door during a recent storm that had driving westerly winds at +25mph. Air temp hasn't been high enough long enough to get rid of it, and the sun doesn't reach the back wall. It has been trying to trickle out the door, but it just freezes before it gets there.

But yeah, it was a concern at first sight. I was worried it was weeping through the back wall somehow. But all is good.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nice thing about having your garage shell up and running Jorn, is that it becomes a nice, dry and secure storage space while your home is being built...it helps to keep the work area uncluttered.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my jobs neat and orderly usually mean safe and productive. I hate, hate, hate a messy job.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They seem to be keeping a clean site so far. There is a stack of wood used in the concrete forms and several big piles of rocks and dirt, but only the occasional coffee cup or other trash lying around. I've been there when guys were doing a sweep for trash and moving used wood to its pile and re-stacking and covering the new wood.

Wintery-mix weather this week, so I think they are going to be stuck on finishing the concrete pours for a while longer. I will be up there the last week of February - first week of March, so I am hoping the framing of the house starts then. If so, I can accidentally on purpose stop by in the afternoons to see what's new.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Le bois est arrivé!

Jorn Ake