User Tag List

Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Logged areas often have issues with erosion or at least loss of nutrients in the soil as sun/rain is now reaching the soil directly rather than being filtered through tree foliage. Cut areas are also excellent habitat for poison ivy, asian bittersweet vine, honeysuckle and other sun & heat loving plants. Planting into the landscape with fast growing seedlings (birch for example) and cover crop-type seed mixes would help hold nutrients in the soil and begin to build shade to keep back the unwanted vines and such.

You do want to clear the streams I think. Though natural tree falls are part of stream ecology, you don't want the stream choked off by stuff left by the loggers. You can rent a wood chipper and build up some piles that can be used later for trail building and spread around the area to hold soil and nutrients. When we bought our property, the two house sites and the drive were covered in the pine wood chips from clearing the house sites. I thought that stuff would never decay. But after the guys scraped it all back and piled it up on one of the house sites, it has decayed nicely into some really good looking soil.

Our neighbors land got logged recently, and they took out all the old white and red oak. Granted some of the limbs get relatively thin, but these were big old trees with large crowns so there is burnable stuff (at least to my eye) almost all the way up, especially in our Morso's rather small fire box. However, it is on our neighbor's property. I'll have to clear our stone walls of some stuff that's fallen across the boundaries, but it seems like he's just going to let it lie there, unless he's just letting it age in place and will chop it up during the summer.

As far as brush, first you want to know what species are in there and whether there is anything you might like to keep. Our friends had a similar heap of vegetation that they were just going to have removed, but when they looked closely, they realized that while asian bittersweet vine was the dominant life form, there were a handful of stunted crabapple trees underneath. It was extra work to get rid of all the vines but now they have some crabapples trees that bloom pink in the spring.

If there's nothing workable in the pile, our landscape architect would recommend removal and replanting with things that would help you maintain the view by not growing tall and blocking everything. Create a bit of habitat with some shorter trees (witch hazel, musclewood) along the edges, no-cut grass or lawn substitutes (thyme), woody bushes (willow,) and so forth. The more native species you can use the lower the maintenance you'll have and the more predictable the plant behavior will be. Less overgrown areas may also help control tick population also.

Ernst Seeds is a really good resource. Our landscape architect uses them to create site-specific custom seed mixes, but they also make pre-mixes for soil recovery and protection in a lot of different situations: Browse Seed Mixes | Ernst Conservation Seeds

Most states have some form of tree nursery program, and those usually sell seedlings to the public sometime during the year to encourage reforestation. This is the one for NYS.

Vermont has one of the best resources for willows on the planet. Really good for erosion control, soft fencing and habitat creation. Vermont Willow Nursery

Edit: Forgot this - NYS has a "Private Forest Management" program through the Department of Environmental Conservation. I'll bet that Vermont has a similar program: Private Forest Management - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
    These are all great ideas, thanks! For some reason hadnt thought of a wood chipper, great idea for the basic cleanup, and both of us are big fans of willows, just didnt know about their benefits beyond looking great. We also have a lot of birch on the other parts of the properties, so trying to get more in there is a great idea.

I'll post some more photos soon, but heres a few:

IMG_20200216_174710.jpg

IMG_20200214_122505.jpg

IMG_20200223_173146.jpg
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is a super site for a house. And the house looks great too! Worth spending some time and energy on landscaping to get the whole package worked out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be a naysayer: Willow and Birch are pioneer species: quick to grow and die and prone to tipping over in ice storms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Not to be a naysayer: Willow and Birch are pioneer species: quick to grow and die and prone to tipping over in ice storms.
    By willow I mean some of the low to mid-height species that remain bush-shaped and can be used as hedges, like gracilis.

He mentioned 3 acres of logged areas, so if there aren't many trees, a pioneer tree would help get other slower growing longer lived trees get started. Birches, aspens, poplars now to help get oaks and maples going later. Didn't sound like this was near the house.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was not familiar with this variety.

Left alone, there will be some form of early successional habitat. Where I live if you cut hardwood softwood ensues, and vice versa. Managing woodlands is an art. Go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn,
    Is construction continuing during the lock down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven’t gotten an update this weekend. The Governor made his statement on Friday afternoon, but as with many of these directives, the architects as project managers and the GC will have to parse out the details. Currently the site is restricted in order to be in compliance with rules on proximity. We don’t visit the house while anyone is there, and we haven’t been visiting the interior of the house much at all. All our meetings are phone conference only. Face to face meetings have been suspended until the rules change.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-29-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: for clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn:

It would be good to check with your AE and GC to see if this applies to your local jurisdiction...I think that it might, but it’s worth confirming. The last thing that you want is the GC to be in violation of the ban and you get fined $10,000 as the homeowner.

Coronavirus in NYC: New York bans nonessential construction during pandemic - Curbed NY
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Jorn:

It would be good to check with your AE and GC to see if this applies to your local jurisdiction...I think that it might, but it’s worth confirming. The last thing that you want is the GC to be in violation of the ban and you get fined $10,000 as the homeowner.

Coronavirus in NYC: New York bans nonessential construction during pandemic - Curbed NY
    interesting.

why would it not apply?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    interesting.

why would it not apply?
    I didn’t read the NY order in detail, but some of the construction ban orders in other states have exempted certain counties...lower population mass I suppose. PA started with regional ban orders on construction activities a few weeks ago and eventually identified construction as a non-life sustaining business. Beer, wine and distilled alcoholic beverage wholesale merchants are identified in that manner though...go figure.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I didn’t read the NY order in detail, but some of the construction ban orders in other states have exempted certain counties...lower population mass I suppose. PA started with regional ban orders on construction activities a few weeks ago and eventually identified construction as a non-life sustaining business. Beer, wine and distilled alcoholic beverage wholesale merchants are identified in that manner though...go figure.
    seems pretty straightforward. not sure why any counties would be exempted. it's really about keeping workers safe, as it should be. not sure the 'well there are only three workers on the first floor' etc makes any difference. sounds like it's all on pause..

Guidance on Executive Order 22.6 | Empire State Development

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep..it’s a tough world out there right now for owners and workers alike.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend in Bolinas, CA has ongoing residential construction humming despite the lockdown. Call your building inspector perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    A friend in Bolinas, CA has ongoing residential construction humming despite the lockdown. Call your building inspector perhaps?
    "construction humming"

isn't that exactly what you should not do?

i really don't get that attitude

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s not have fights about an offense that will not exist. I or people working with me would not do anything other than obey the law or the directives of the government. I prefaced my comment that I have not been updated since the directive from the state. We have up until this point been obeying, if not exceeding, all requirements of government regarding the safety of everyone on the job site. That will not change.

I expect we'll get an update on job site status bright and early Monday morning.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-29-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was curious because late this week is when I noticed the projects around Olympia stop all activity.
    The timing of this event will likely have long term consequences.
    There are many quite large projects especially in apartment construction that were coming close to completion this summer.
    I can easily see many of these projects dead in the water for quite some time.
    I hope I'm wrong.
    Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know RW and Jay have both been associated with construction projects in major urban areas. They would agree that as soon as you think a new regulation or directive from the government is simple you find yourself hit with a hefty fine. No one rushes to interpretation of these things, not even one as seemingly straightforward as this. However, my experience has been that if you are working with good people, they always err on the side of safety first and then seek clarification afterwards.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I was curious because late this week is when I noticed the projects around Olympia stop all activity.
    The timing of this event will likely have long term consequences.
    There are many quite large projects especially in apartment construction that were coming close to completion this summer.
    I can easily see many of these projects dead in the water for quite some time.
    I hope I'm wrong.
    Byron
    No, it is a pertinent question and a fair one. Your question wasn't accusatory.

I think you are right. There will - and there needs to be - cessation of work to reduce the danger of infection for people on job sites. The workers at union sites will have some safety net to help support them. The others won't.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    "construction humming"

isn't that exactly what you should not do?

i really don't get that attitude
    He said that those working were doing so gladly. Not my job site. It is ten acres. I expect people are being careful. When I worked construction in the city I always wore a respirator, and safety was my first concern. My cousin in Brooklyn has shut down because there is no safe way to continue.

Where I live, smack dab in the middle of nowhere, people are hyper-vigilant, but going about their business. I am cutting trees for a neighbor who is a timber framer. My daughter continues to work at the local addiction treatment facility, and I don't see her except in passing. We are staying in separate houses. I have been isolated from my family since I came back from Florida on the 20th. Construction is continuing locally, but these are relatively small jobs done by people who are neighbors. No one is taking this lightly.

We are at likely at more risk going shopping, or getting gas. I wear nitrile gloves and take sanitizer when I do either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since others have chimed in on construction I will add that our enlightened gov (Florida) has deemed construction vital. Construction sites are notorious for spitting, snot rockets and nasty porta johns.

Mike
    Mike Noble