User Tag List

Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Quote Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
    plywood would be no exception to your rule.
    Plywood has plys. Tell you what: make a shelf of melamine, or similar material and put books on it and see what happens.

I have plywood in a Sears kit house built in 1932 that is sound as a pound.

I rest my case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit of an update. Concrete poured inside and out. Radiant floor finished. Once things cure entirely, there will be some polishing done, but now the floor level and the porch level are the same. Not sure if they will do any grading until spring, but they might reshape some of the terrain to the north of the house and around the septic area so it isn't quite so pancake flat.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a rock formation like that in the river down the street from our house. It's a brilliant swimming hole called Whaleback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    We have a rock formation like that in the river down the street from our house. It's a brilliant swimming hole called Whaleback.
    That's funny. We've all been talking about the outcroppings here as porpoising through the ground. Some of them go from one corner of the property to the other, appearing and disappearing. I guess we should have guessed there was a whale underneath.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure the electricians remove the construction lights before they close up the ceilings. They tend to just toss 'em up there and leave 'em on most commercial (and some private) jobs. It can just make an otherwise clean area where you may need to pull cable in the future a rats nest causing problems down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. And kind of hilarious. These are just hung on nails and the wires are external to the ceiling framing, so they'd have to work pretty hard at this point to put them up there before sheetrock. And our GC saves everything that is usable. But I'll keep an eye on it. They are supposed to start closing things in next week, and I'll be there then.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are supposed to start closing things in next week, and I'll be there then.
    Assuming it won't be a hazard of any type, you could put a copy of the NYT, or some local newspaper or magazine behind the drywall, to surprise the next person who 50 years from now is doing some renovations. I'm sure they'll be keen to read what folks in the past were saying about the impeachment hearings and all the other fun things going on...

They'll say something like "Hey, look, the Jets sncked back then too !!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea.

When I was a serf on renovation crews in Richmond VA, we used to find things in the walls and other places on the late 1800's houses (not many houses in the city center older than 1865.) Once we pulled down a soffit and an old hammer came sliding out and banged its way down through the scaffolding. We found notes written - measurements, random numbers, small sketches - on the back side of boards. The owner of the company had a piece of board with a "This is the work of ..." narrative written on it but not dated. The best were the big stone sills under the main entry door. I was told, placing the sill was the masons' job, and for good luck - for them or for the house I don't know - they might put a silver dollar under the stone as they were sliding it into place.

So maybe a silver dollar somewhere.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im curious what the long term plan is for the jackposts
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Assuming it won't be a hazard of any type, you could put a copy of the NYT, or some local newspaper or magazine behind the drywall, to surprise the next person who 50 years from now is doing some renovations. I'm sure they'll be keen to read what folks in the past were saying about the impeachment hearings and all the other fun things going on...

They'll say something like "Hey, look, the Jets sncked back then too !!!"
    Or print out this whole thread and leave it in there.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
    im curious what the long term plan is for the jackposts
    Those are columns. They are bolted into footers in the cement foundation underneath and bolted to joists overhead. The ones inside are actually slightly smaller in diameter and solid, while the ones outside are slightly larger diameter and hollow. An engineering solution to help hold the roof up, and a design reference to a building designed by Le Courbousier and Pierre Jeanneret called Villa Savoye. The columns (and just about everything else) will be white when the house is finished.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Make sure the electricians remove the construction lights before they close up the ceilings. They tend to just toss 'em up there and leave 'em on most commercial (and some private) jobs. It can just make an otherwise clean area where you may need to pull cable in the future a rats nest causing problems down the road.
    Interesting. And kind of hilarious. These are just hung on nails and the wires are external to the ceiling framing, so they'd have to work pretty hard at this point to put them up there before sheetrock. And our GC saves everything that is usable. But I'll keep an eye on it. They are supposed to start closing things in next week, and I'll be there then.
    In my experience as a technologist overseeing low voltage wiring projects contracted to union electricians in NYC and Boston who were also responsible for the other electrical wiring work, the labor cost to remove construction lights is more expensive than just leaving them so they get left in the ceiling and the power source cut off (hopefully). Often they are put up in a way knowing they will never be removed.

I have also overseen low voltage wiring projects on two bothers and several friends private home renovations and in most cases those constructions lights "would" have been left had I not said something.

Time = money and those lights are cheap but labor is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Those rocks are fantastic. I can't wait to see how your landscaper utilizes them.

Those are columns. They are bolted into footers in the cement foundation underneath and bolted to joists overhead. The ones inside are actually slightly smaller in diameter and solid, while the ones outside are slightly larger diameter and hollow. An engineering solution to help hold the roof up, and a design reference to a building designed by Le Courbousier and Pierre Jeanneret called Villa Savoye. The columns (and just about everything else) will be white when the house is finished.
    Yeah OK. But what white?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our architects joke (I think) that everything gets coated with Super White. But I don’t think that is an actual color?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Or print out this whole thread and leave it in there.
    That is excellent!
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our architects joke (I think) that everything gets coated with Super White. But I don’t think that is an actual color?
    Well whadya know?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful out there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    In my experience as a technologist overseeing low voltage wiring projects contracted to union electricians in NYC and Boston who were also responsible for the other electrical wiring work, the labor cost to remove construction lights is more expensive than just leaving them so they get left in the ceiling and the power source cut off (hopefully). Often they are put up in a way knowing they will never be removed.

I have also overseen low voltage wiring projects on two bothers and several friends private home renovations and in most cases those constructions lights "would" have been left had I not said something.

Time = money and those lights are cheap but labor is not.
    Not that i doubt your story but my electrical inspector would never give me an above ceiling inspection with temp lights still up. From the looks of the job site i would expect no less from the men working on the house.

I went back to the first post because I couldn’t recall where the house was located and looked at the pics of the land, you guys have done a great job! It’s hard to believe this started in 2011.

Mike

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Not that i doubt your story but my electrical inspector would never give me an above ceiling inspection with temp lights still up. From the looks of the job site i would expect no less from the men working on the house.

I went back to the first post because I couldn’t recall where the house was located and looked at the pics of the land, you guys have done a great job! It’s hard to believe this started in 2011.

Mike

Mike
    And when is the last time you worked in a NYC (or Boston) commercial high-rise building and worked with union electricians and government inspectors (who take bribes)?

Just Sayin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha!

I'm having flashbacks to the day my wife and I chose our interior colors. It was mentally exhausting. And yeah, it included parsing at least 5-8 shades of white...

So that OC-152 is pretty nice. But have you considered OC-122? It's pretty sweet.
    GO!