User Tag List

Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Congrats on the progress and the purchase! House is coming together nicely.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm ... you might want to let TooTall pick through those old cars before they’re all gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Concrete floors in the house! Woot woot woot!

Also on Monday morning, we closed on a one acre parcel that sat in the middle of our two larger land parcels. The spot had been purchased from the original owners in the 1930's to use as a camp (this is the description in the title - I assume it meant no improvements allowed, like a house) but by the 1950's it was being used as an auto junkyard. When we bought the other two parcels, I sent a letter to the current owner of the one acre, a retired auto mechanic who had added his own assortment of cars to the pile. He didn't want to sell, so I thanked him and said if he ever changes his mind.... About two months ago, he changed his mind. We agreed on a price, and he agreed to remove all the cars. Once he did that, we set a date for yesterday and now we own 81 acres. We've taken to calling the 1 acre parcel "The Biscuit" because it joins our two parcels together like a biscuit from a biscuit joiner.
    I must admit I haven't been following this thread much before today. Do you get a lot of snow around here ?

When I was in Switzerland I was told there were two kind of flat roofs : those that had water infiltration issues and those that had yet to have infiltration issues. A question of when instead of if.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I must admit I haven't been following this thread much before today. Do you get a lot of snow around here ?

When I was in Switzerland I was told there were two kind of flat roofs : those that had water infiltration issues and those that had yet to have infiltration issues. A question of when instead of if.
    The roof isn't flat. It looks flat from the ground but it is pitched outward for drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Hmm ... you might want to let TooTall pick through those old cars before they’re all gone.
    Too late. There was the cab for a green truck like the one he sold, but I don't think it came to the property recently. Most of the old stuff is half buried so they are using a front loader to get it out.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn...60 days until Mike the squatter relocates from Florida...he emailed me that was waiting for the heated floors to be activated.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bear says just in time, he was looking for a roommate.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The roof isn't flat. It looks flat from the ground but it is pitched outward for drainage.
    The "patio" floor too, I assume?

Will you have gutters, or will the water drip down to the ground? I've never seen curved gutters before, but if you have some, will they have covers? Never seen curved gutter covers either... If the water goes directly down will with hit the ground, or the the edge of the patio? There are some many different details for a "non-traditional" house like this. (at least to me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The living area - living room, dining room, kitchen, halls, master bedroom, master bath, guest room, guest bath - is basically a square. The roof is a slightly larger square with one corner bulged out to the southwest and two arced sides - west and south. The roof has a smaller square platform the same dimensions as the living area and directly above, that contains the face-mounted insulation for the space below. The roof plants, sedum and sempervivum, will sit in their interlocking modular planters on top of a heavy duty protective sheet covering this platform. Around the edge of the platform is a built-in gutter that drains water from the plants down into the house drains that "daylight" into several areas in the yard. That gutter is getting a custom made aluminum cover to help prevent pine needles (especially the sticky ones) from clogging up the works. The roof over the porch area - the bulged out southwest corner and the arced west and south sides - is pitched in several different angles with diverters built into the roof's surface to direct water towards the outside edge while avoiding entrance and exit from main entry doors. The roof edge has a three part overlapping/interlocking drip rail that carries the water over the edge and down to the ground where there will be a curtain drain to pull the water away from the house. The surface of the roof that does not have plants on it will be covered by rock ballast.

The porch floor is pitched so water will move away from the house and into the curtain drain.

That's all I know! So far it seems to work well. We've had some pretty good storms, one that dumped 9" of rain in 24 hours, and everything inside stayed nice and dry and all the water came off the roof quickly and cleanly.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds neat.

Be sure to post pictures of the roof planters. Your very own mini High Line...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

I used this to waterproof 2200 square feet of interior space in a chemical environment with constant foot traffic. Twelve years on it was still a waterproof bathtub up to 4". The stuff is brilliant, and I use it everywhere I need to.

Waterproofing - Acrylic Roofing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't necessarily have to use gutters to direct drainage water. Hanging a chain where the water discharges does the job very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I used this to waterproof 2200 square feet of interior space in a chemical environment with constant foot traffic. Twelve years on it was still a waterproof bathtub up to 4". The stuff is brilliant, and I use it everywhere I need to.

Waterproofing - Acrylic Roofing
    That link has some great products. Their building sealant selection may prove useful. Thank you.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The architect pushed for us to use this wrap in the construction process. The GC grumbled about it, but now he is using it on other projects. Like a heavy duty Gore-tex for your house that has vapor pass-through abilities at very low house pressure, like when you are not using blown air heat - as I understand, though I am not an expert. Lots of good things written about Solitex Mento products on green building sites. Can double as a first layer on the roof if you need water proof protection before you are ready to put down the final roofing material. Our house used it on the roof and then on the outside walls after framing but before face mounted insulation and final house wrap.

SOLITEX MENTO PLUS (59" wide) - 475 High Performance Building Supply USA

Last edited by j44ke; 11-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn,
    Reason you didn't go with ZIP System?
    I'm looking into the pros and cons and it seems the pros out-weigh the cons...
    FYI - I'm thinking of ZIP (with their tape and fastener sealants) as an exterior sheathing while using a double stud framing configuration - insulating with three layers of semi-rigid mineral wool.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Jorn,
    Reason you didn't go with ZIP System?
    I'm looking into the pros and cons and it seems the pros out-weigh the cons...
    FYI - I'm thinking of ZIP (with their tape and fastener sealants) as an exterior sheathing while using a double stud framing configuration - insulating with three layers of semi-rigid mineral wool.
    Zip is very popular up here, especially it seems with DIY efforts on old homes. There is at least one home that uses it as a form of winterizing. It goes up in the fall and comes down in the spring, which is kind of curious. However, I don't know why we didn't use it specifically, except that on this one, both the GC and the architects did not want to use it. And if those two camps agree, there has to be something going on there. But I will try to ask them and report back what they say.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-06-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will weigh in on this: anything made of sawdust and glue is only structural as long as the glue is. Give me plywood anytime. Wrap with Tyvek or similar house wrap, and you are good to go. Advantec et al are heavy, to boot. I worked at MoMA, and recall the plastics collection degrading into puddles of ooze. Sawdust and glue just doesn't strike me as a good wall system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I will weigh in on this: anything made of sawdust and glue is only structural as long as the glue is. Give me plywood anytime.
    plywood would be no exception to your rule.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Jorn...60 days until Mike the squatter relocates from Florida...he emailed me that was waiting for the heated floors to be activated.
    SO I looked at the weather for this weekend and it looks too cold for these old Florida bones but it should be great in 60 days right? In 60 days it will be summer again here!

Jorn, when you called the latest purchase "the biscuit" because it tied things together my mind went to breakfast...bacon, eggs, grits...biscuit!

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just think of it as white sand beaches. On a mountain. Cold white sand....(pic from this morning.)

The local eatery had a baker who made fluffy baking powder biscuits with bits of cheese in them. When she left, the regulars were in a state of mourning for weeks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books