User Tag List

Page 34 of 60 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

You can sort of see the box concept beginning in this photo taken earlier in the project:

And here are the beginnings of the two boxes that contain the guest bathroom (second from left) and the master bathroom (third from left.) The left most box holds the mechanicals.

This is an earlier view...

...of this current view of the hallway.

Last edited by j44ke; 07-29-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an engineered house. Very interesting to watch the process at this remove.

A word about mowing: it is unavoidable. Not lawns, necessarily, but woods. Where we live, open land reverts to forest within five years if it is not kept clear. Invasives occupy disturbed areas: bittersweet, glossy buckthorn, barberry, etc. A walk behind brush hog is my tool of choice for much of this. Cows, sheep or goats will do the job as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    That is an engineered house. Very interesting to watch the process at this remove.

A word about mowing: it is unavoidable. Not lawns, necessarily, but woods. Where we live, open land reverts to forest within five years if it is not kept clear. Invasives occupy disturbed areas: bittersweet, glossy buckthorn, barberry, etc. A walk behind brush hog is my tool of choice for much of this. Cows, sheep or goats will do the job as well.
    Rent A Goat™ | Cost-effective, eco-friendly, and super cute weed removal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goats are on the radar. As are various forms of knee high destruction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bking View Post
    Jorn, I may have missed it earlier but why the furred out interior plywood walls in lieu of typical stud walls?
    Bruce
    They are probably shear walls. Given the expanses of glass, w/o them the structure would have no ability to withstand lateral loads (aka wind).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BSUdude View Post
    They are probably shear walls. Given the expanses of glass, w/o them the structure would have no ability to withstand lateral loads (aka wind).
    That's the term I was searching for - shear wall.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Goats are on the radar.
    They're used extensively, maybe exclusively, in the Berkeley and Oakland hills...hundreds of them, grazing the hillsides clean with no risk of fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I figured shear walls, but the furring threw me. Why the furring? Here in the west we hang board on the plywood shear wall. I see walls furred out everywhere, vapor, sound, finished wood?

Also, what goes onto the 1x furring on the ceiling, drywall or something prefinished?

It is a very interesting home. Thanks for sharing the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bking View Post
    yeah, I figured shear walls, but the furring threw me. Why the furring? Here in the west we hang board on the plywood shear wall. I see walls furred out everywhere, vapor, sound, finished wood?

Also, what goes onto the 1x furring on the ceiling, drywall or something prefinished?

It is a very interesting home. Thanks for sharing the process.
    There will be concrete board panels on the outside of nearly everything vertical in the house. I'd have to go dig out the drawings to figure out the series of layers underneath, but I think there are some sound deadening layers in certain parts of the house, like the hallway, so the bedrooms are quieter than the front of the house. But the concrete panels will be float mounted if that's the right term - space between ceiling and floor and panel edges.

The ceiling is drywall. Regular old drywall. Kind of funny because everything else is so one-off custom. I am guessing the guys are looking forward to the drywall as it will be the most straightforward part of the house!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know we all want to come to cut the ribbon with you, right?

BYOB, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    You know we all want to come to cut the ribbon with you, right?

BYOB, of course.
    Efforting a deck in the woods for clogging presently.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a goat for an hour, but only to eat the poison ivy that's getting close to the Boston ivy.

Do they ship?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, looking great, seeing a concept coming through mid construction might be the most exciting part of any project, for both the designer and client. This one seems to be coming on strong, which is great.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I need a goat for an hour, but only to eat the poison ivy that's getting close to the Boston ivy.

Do they ship?
    -- many a goat we had, Gramp's shot a few..
    they eat anything "not on your menu..," leaving the poison ivy for your pissed-off demeanor...
    ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows and doors arrive today. I spent Friday measuring the parking area with one of the junior architects from the firm as part of integrating landscaping with construction. We hired a landscape architect last month, and she's already been through the property with botanist colleagues to do a plant survey. Some plants will get used in the landscaping while others are used as indicators of what type of plants will do well in the soil with its moisture and mineral profile. When I told the GC and our concrete and rock guy we'd hired her, they said they were both just talking about how she'd be the right choice. Turns out they've worked with her several times in the past, and now they are excited about collaborating with her on this project. Since then we've met several people coincidentally, including the owner of Copake General Store, who've had this woman do their landscaping. Everyone raves. I don't claim any skills or knowledge in doing this, but somehow we keep getting good people on accident. We just liked this photo from a nearby project she did (minus the iron wall.)

Round about the last week or so of August, a couple ATV's got on our "back forty" and did a bunch of donuts in the middle of the farm road that loops through that property. We'd just had a big rain, so it was muddy and they managed to dig out a circular pit about 15' in diameter surrounded by a gravel berm. Two hours of work and I had it fixed, but really stupid, especially since they were undercutting a giant rotten old oak each lap that could have fallen on them. Of course, then I'd get sued for not protecting trespassers from themselves. I expect I am going to have to put up some unfriendly signs to cover my ass. And hunting season is coming. Everyone keeps asking if I've put up signs to keep hunters off (which we do for now but might change our minds later,) so I guess I can't avoid the inevitable.
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic. I really good landscape architect is a great idea. I like a lot of her stuff. Really wonderful outdoor 'rooms' and integration into the landscapes.

Only one suggestion: She's got a lot of patio surfaces composed of large irregular stones with greenery in the cracks. That looks fantastic but it a pain in the ass as you move your chair to turn towards your wife or guest. I like a flat, tight floor for furniture.

Our front walk, slabs of Goshen, beautiful but subtly lumpy:

frontwalk.jpg

Our patio, full color bluestone, chair-leg friendly:

patio.jpg

...those photos were not long after construction finished. It's amazing what a difference a year or two of plant growth makes!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Fantastic. I really good landscape architect is a great idea. I like a lot of her stuff. Really wonderful outdoor 'rooms' and integration into the landscapes.

Our patio, full color bluestone, chair-leg friendly:

patio.jpg

I like the natural wall framing the space. Looks comfortable and with a few candles great for late evenings and deep conversations.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing!!!!

I too have just bought a large property in the mountains and absolutely love it.
    Adrian Knowles
    Sunny Queensland,
    Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our only walkway will be widely spaced large (like 3' long) stones we've excavated at the site and will lead up to the house from the small parking area nearby. There will also be a purpose-built non-path path that will allow loading in/out of large objects. Current sketch says that will be "paved" with a dense planting of thyme on a prepared ground so it will be soft visually but firm enough to support a refrigerator, for example. But really, all this could change. We've only started to think about landscaping beyond tree removal to protect the house. However, the sitting area will be the front porch, and that will be smooth concrete.

The windows arrived! When I pulled up yesterday, there were many very large crates and a bunch of guys standing there with drawings laid out on their trucks. Met the window installers. Shook everyone's hand. Their lead guy seems like a lead guy. "We're going to do this and then this and then..." Detail, procedure, order. I said thanks and then I left. That's my job - stop by, say thanks and get out of there so they can work.

Here are a few photos from a month ago I had hanging around. Next photos will be with windows!

Another rule of the job site - your car will always be the smallest vehicle.

Last edited by j44ke; 09-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dubrat View Post
    Amazing!!!!

I too have just bought a large property in the mountains and absolutely love it.
    Were those the pics I saw on Flickr with a python and other critters (including a small blond-haired one on two feet)?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books