User Tag List

Thread: Suit source?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suit source?

My 18 year old son has a prom in his future.
    The style is broad enough that some students simply go with a slick suit rather than a tux.
    He's heading off to College next year and I'm more than open to expanding his wardrobe to include a suit...seems like it makes more sense than a 1-day rental.

We've got a Brooks Brother Outlet nearby. Is that as good option?
    He's 6'4" and about 195 lbs.
    Recommendation(s)?
    His visit to BB went fairly well and he came home saying that a 42L in Regent's fit with 35x35 pants...if that helps to inform the answer. Before jumping, thought I'd ask this crowd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Suit source?

Yes, that's a good option. Navy or charcoal. Not black. Ideally, he'd find an "1818" suit on sale at the outlet, not the outlet brand "346" but either one will be a good workable suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are close to a Suit Supply, I strongly recommend it. They really took care of me and have a very broad size range. the materials and quality seem super. I was really impressed. Ended up with a navy Napoli. There is a version that is $100 less, but they did not have it in my size. Really eclipsed the other suits I 'had looked at. If he is done growing more or less and is thinking long term I think its a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I DEFINITELY read through what Chasea had to say and have used a number of his suggestions in the past. I wasn't sure whether any more recent thoughts/sources may have emerged....and based on his depth of knowledge (and others on the forum), I thought it warranted a new inquiry.

No Suit Source nearby, but my son and I will be in Houston and Dallas in a few weeks and both cities list a store. Maybe we'll try to make that a stop.
    Can I ask for a ballpark price from Suit Source?
    I think he's done growing (at 6-7" taller than me), but who knows. I won't be surprised to see him fill out a bit more, but he's a pretty lean build (sort-of like a swimmer's build) and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suit supply begins at 399 and goes up. It's "Suit Supply" by the way. but if you're in Vermont I don't think you'll find one there anyway. Here are their current locations. There was an article in NYtimes comparing their $1000 high end to a 3+K Armani. think its a good deal, but you definitely need to go to the store to get a good fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    suit supply begins at 399 and goes up. It's "Suit Supply" by the way. but if you're in Vermont I don't think you'll find one there anyway. Here are their current locations. There was an article in NYtimes comparing their $1000 high end to a 3+K Armani. think its a good deal, but you definitely need to go to the store to get a good fit.
    Right!
    Suit Supply is what I meant to say...and that's the same link that I ended up finding based on your post.
    Mentioned to my son that we should make it a point to check out one of their stores when we're in Texas.
    A little reluctant to leave it until so close to the prom, but we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[apologies for the thread hijack]

Went to Suitsupply the other day – liked the fit on the suit jackets I tried, but I need a 4 drop (38R/34) and they only do a 6 drop unless I go made-to-measure. Any suggestions for where I could get a good suit as separate, without breaking the bank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    [apologies for the thread hijack]

Went to Suitsupply the other day – liked the fit on the suit jackets I tried, but I need a 4 drop (38R/34) and they only do a 6 drop unless I go made-to-measure. Any suggestions for where I could get a good suit as separate, without breaking the bank?
    It depends how you define breaking the bank. Brooks Brothers does separates for some lines and due to the quality will last for years so that is not necessarily breaking the bank if you look at it as a long term solution.

My issue is that I usually need at least an 8 drop 44R/36 due to my shoulders which does not happen unless I do custom or separates.