User Tag List

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Watched the Beastie Boys “live documentary” by Spike Jonze. Pretty good. A little self-conscious but it had good moments, good memories, interesting details.

Sabotage is still the best primal scream ever in my book. Turn it on and destroy the house.
    For my brother's birthday last year I took him to visit our sister/go see the show live. It was fun. The doc is good too. I was hoping to at least see the back of our heads in the crowd to brag that I was in it. Sadly it didn't happen. I think apple tv is $4.99 per month and if you're a Beastie fan worth it just for the show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Upload on Amazon been mentioned? I'm liking it a lot so far.

I waited for Westworld S3 to finish before starting it. 3 episodes in... Not sure yet but the production value is excellent. I wish that HBO would get their streaming act together. Their streams looks like garbage. I have tried multiple devices with HBO Now and HBO Go. I have a feeling HBO Max won't be any different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post

I waited for Westworld S3 to finish before starting it. 3 episodes in... Not sure yet but the production value is excellent. I wish that HBO would get their streaming act together. Their streams looks like garbage. I have tried multiple devices with HBO Now and HBO Go. I have a feeling HBO Max won't be any different.
    I keep wondering how divvying up their online streaming is working for them. Why not just HBO? We just cancelled because the one or two things we wanted to watch were always on the service we didn't have.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post

I enjoyed Upload. I've had a few sleepless nights lately, so when insomnia takes hold, I binge watch. It's nerdy, but also pokes at some issues with the role of technology in modern society.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We watched the last episode of Season 7 of Endeavor last evening...OMG is all that I’m going to say. We’ve been Inspector Morse fans since it’s inception back in 1987...a little corny, but a decent show and awesome setting...Oxford. But when Endeavor rolled out in 2012, let’s just stay that this is my benchmark for a mystery series.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    We watched the last episode of Season 7 of Endeavor last evening...OMG is all that I’m going to say. We’ve been Inspector Morse fans since it’s inception back in 1987...a little corny, but a decent show and awesome setting...Oxford. But when Endeavor rolled out in 2012, let’s just stay that this is my benchmark for a mystery series.
    You should watch the old 'A Year in Provence' mini-series starring John Thaw from 1993 or so. It's awesome if you love truffles, wine and France.

And did you ever watch Hinterland? Nordic noir set in Wales. Its awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't gone through all the pages here but watch Rake on netflix, really funny.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Haven't gone through all the pages here but watch Rake on netflix, really funny.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Wife and I are getting some good laughs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Young Wallender on Netflix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm enjoying Away on Netflix. If you enjoyed The Martian you'll probably like it.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    I'm enjoying Away on Netflix. If you enjoyed The Martian you'll probably like it.
    Thanks. I've been wondering about this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a cursory search of the Salon and this wasn't on the first page of results, so sorry if it's been offered already, but we LOVED The Last Dance.

I'd say you don't have to be a basketball fan to enjoy it, but if at minimum you like the human drama of sports, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, etc., it's magic. Perhaps even harder to convince: my wife loved it, and she grew up a University of Kentucky basketball fan. They're the kind who bag on the NBA as not real basketball - if it doesn't happen in Rupp Arena, it doesn't count to her ilk, and while I don't want to speak for her, I suspect she was persuaded finally that the NBA is where the real basketball is played.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I did a cursory search of the Salon and this wasn't on the first page of results, so sorry if it's been offered already, but we LOVED The Last Dance.

I'd say you don't have to be a basketball fan to enjoy it, but if at minimum you like the human drama of sports, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, etc., it's magic. Perhaps even harder to convince: my wife loved it, and she grew up a University of Kentucky basketball fan. They're the kind who bag on the NBA as not real basketball - if it doesn't happen in Rupp Arena, it doesn't count to her ilk, and while I don't want to speak for her, I suspect she was persuaded finally that the NBA is where the real basketball is played.
    I definitely enjoyed it - can't say I learned anything new as it was my era and I read everything at the time.

The only part that bothers me is that MJ executive produced the whole thing so you were never going to get some of the juicy details. I still think there's a proper documentary in there.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is not a drama but a quiz show. if you like a hard quiz show hosted by an intelligent, attractive female have a go at Only Connect, loads of episodes on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a series, just one program, Social Dilemma on netflix, deals with data tracking, use of such as it affects society(including addiction), a few hokey examples but overall a very good(and somewhat depressing) hours worth of viewing.
    Paraphrasing from the program, "only two industries refer to their clients as users, illegal drug dealers and software companies".
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Not a series, just one program, Social Dilemma on netflix, deals with data tracking, use of such as it affects society(including addiction), a few hokey examples but overall a very good(and somewhat depressing) hours worth of viewing.
    Paraphrasing from the program, "only two industries refer to their clients as users, illegal drug dealers and software companies".
    Brian is so right in this reco....I will admit to having been a media person and so found the literary devices beyond hokey but also creatively bankrupt. However, it does show in "human speak" what the machine does. I will also admit to being in the camp of folks who had various material things paid for by monetizing "users" before walking from it in disgust. Also, to being in the camp of the folks in tech in the show (and others) who wouldn't let his own kids use the stuff....so all of those things that I put out here only to say it is very important that you watch this because it is very right and very scary. But like those industry types in the show, I am an optimist about it all if enough folks wake up to it. That said, I can't believe that I just posted what precedes this sentence on social media.

The thing that is the most telling is the stats on young girls (pre-teen and teen) who cut themselves/ hospital admissions and suicides in that group and social media...that gets me even more than the breakdown of civil society.

I was thinking of posting this same recommendation but couldn't figure out if it belongs in the binge watch thread, the virus political thread, or the political chatter thread because it is essential discussion material for any of those.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoyed "Love on the Spectrum" on Netflix - eye opening and heart warming..

Also currently in season 13 of Top Chef on Hulu, started at season 1 earlier in the year. We've watched them all before, but it's still good escapism and nice clean fun in these times.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"All or Nothing: Tottenham" was good, though not as good as the recent ones on Man City or Leeds.
    After watching Manchester City, I would run through a wall for Pep G.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got caught up on The Walking Dead. So many great characters who can elevate the show above the often cliché or weak plots. My whole family has become huge fans. Fingers crossed Negan goes full Evil Negan again.

Anyway, while waiting for the season 10 finale in a few weeks, we decided to watch Fear The Walking Dead to hold us over. It is absolutely TERRIBLE! Halfway through Season 2 and we have yet to encounter a single competent character who can make a basic logical decision or avoid an obviously dangerous situation. And it's killing me that the main group left a shotgun, two AR-15s, and an H&K MP5 on the boat they abandoned only to fight a group of zombies with knives and hammers once ashore. Did the production crew fire the props department? Worst spin off show ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched We are Freestyle Love Supreme on Hulu last night.

It's a really lovely documentary on friendship, creativity, risk taking, change and growth. And it was so great to see famous people who care so deeply about a lot of the stuff they're not famous for.

It doesn't hurt that they are staggeringly talented.
    GO!