User Tag List

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    His documentaries have usually been good. I watched the show before the show (kind of a preview) and just starting episode 2. I learned some “nasty” things about Henry Ford in the first installment.

Mike
    I’m on my way home from Austin right now and I’ve been humming Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys’ tunes for the past week.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to search through this thread to see if anyone had already mentioned Dix pour cent (Call My Agent) on Netflix (originally broadcast on France 2). It’s like the Office, Modern Family, Extras (Ricky Gervais’ series where actors played themselves) and a dash of seriousness all wrapped up in one. Hisham’s letter to the judge in the last episode of season 3 is a true highlight—a poetic, touching and unexpected twist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to search through this thread to see if anyone had already mentioned Dix pour cent (Call My Agent) on Netflix (originally broadcast on France 2). It’s like the Office, Modern Family, Extras (Ricky Gervais’ series where actors played themselves) and a dash of seriousness all wrapped up in one. Hisham’s letter to the judge in the last episode of season 3 is a true highlight—a poetic, touching and unexpected twist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a series per se but my wife and I have been enjoying some of the Bon Appétit videos on YouTube. It's Alive with Brad is pretty casual but hilarious and educational. It's inspiring us to experiment with flavours and dishes outside of our current repertoire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I have been hitting some of the Scandinavian-Finnish shows hard of late. Trapped - set in Iceland w subtitles- and Bordertown - set in Finland with English dubbing but we opted for the original Finnish w subtitles - are both excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We checked out the first (and so far only) episode of Mandalorian last night. Looks fun if you're into sci-fi stuff.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    My wife and I have been hitting some of the Scandinavian-Finnish shows hard of late. Trapped - set in Iceland w subtitles- and Bordertown - set in Finland with English dubbing but we opted for the original Finnish w subtitles - are both excellent.
    +1!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    Not a series per se but my wife and I have been enjoying some of the Bon Appétit videos on YouTube. It's Alive with Brad is pretty casual but hilarious and educational. It's inspiring us to experiment with flavours and dishes outside of our current repertoire.
    The Bon Appétit "Gourmet Makes" videos are THE most fun to watch. It's refreshing seeing a cooking show that isn't super slick, shows all the mistakes and second-guessing and doesn't give the host a perfectly airbrushed turkey to pull out of the oven at just the right time. They're doing a really great job.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Bojack Horseman.

I enjoyed the first 5 or 6 episodes and then... holy shit.
    Now rolling through season 6. After a couple episodes focusing on single characters they're totally back on top of their game.

The evening after watching episode 4, I sat down and watched it again. I needed to savor it before moving on.

Goddamn this is wonderfully done.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    We checked out the first (and so far only) episode of Mandalorian last night. Looks fun if you're into sci-fi stuff.
    +1. Watched episode 2 last night. Only disappointment that they didn't drop the hole season at once.

Watchmen has been good if you're into weird superhero stuff. Much more weird than superhero.

Jack Ryan S2 was a stinker. My wife enjoyed it so we finished it but I don't think I liked anything about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    +1. Watched episode 2 last night. Only disappointment that they didn't drop the hole season at once.

Watchmen has been good if you're into weird superhero stuff. Much more weird than superhero.

Jack Ryan S2 was a stinker. My wife enjoyed it so we finished it but I don't think I liked anything about it.
    I am very much enjoying Watchmen. I still don't know WTF is going on, but it's a fun ride.

HBO just put out this trailer - you'll wanna watch this. I'm reading the book right now and it's crazy good. I didn't know they were making a show out of it...we saw the trailer before Watchmen the other day, and as soon as I saw the cops walking across the field I was like "Hey! That's the book I'm reading!".

It's a murder mystery with a supernatural twist.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Not sure what it is about Scandahoovlandian series, but they tickle the right part of my brain.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

totally agree with this assessment; it was a perfect illustration of wasting a decent cast and budget on sth. so hopelessly "american superficial-please suspend all sense of verisimilitude" crap. I've also been disappointed in the last season of Mr. Robot. Succession, otoh, turned out more entertaining than expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting about Succession. I have only seen commercials and it didn't looks, I don't know, boring maybe? Did you like it from the start or do you need to get into it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting about Succession. I have only seen commercials and it didn't looks, I don't know, boring maybe? Did you like it from the start or do you need to get into it?
    I wouldn't put it up there as great television or engrossing, but given the paucity of most offerings, it was at least entertaining, especially once I realized (or heard) there was a dark humor side of things. The last thing I wanted to see (which is what the season 1 trailers looked like) was a Dynasty/Dallas family power struggle (do those references still make sense? --I confess I never actually watched either..) which it sort of is, but the characters are very lightly caricatured. Not quite binge-worthy but for passing time in front of the tube, it was worth at least watching til the end. unlike Jack Ryan season 2, which was painful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven’t read the whole thread but I loved both Escape at Dannemora and My Brilliant Friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm up to Season 1, Episode 4. Episode 1 was dull but had enough to get me to episode 2. So far the dialogue is somewhat contrived and the characters somewhat uni-dimensional, but overall it seems interesting enough. Definitely not a complete waste of time to watch (like 99% of what's out there), nor, to this point, totally engrossing. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been watching the impeachment proceedings.

You can't make this stuff up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I have been watching the impeachment proceedings.

You can't make this stuff up.
    The witness testimony has been quite riveting.

Listening to the remarkable contortions of the presidents defenders as they deal in debunked conspiracy theories while they attack the process and ignore the substance has been disheartening...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm going to request we keep this thread on topic. That said, there is some talk that the Succession main power holder is inspired by Rupert Murdoch