Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Saw the new iteration of Matrix.

Early crazy/not crazy yin/yang push/pull of the movie was interesting. But then they didn't seem to know what to do with it. Would have been better if they pushed the conceit through the entire film. But instead they had to get to do some flying.

I did like seeing older Neo and older Trinity.
    I agree. It was good but I didn't love it. If anyone is deciding between seeing this or Spiderman at the theater Spiderman wins easily.

Witcher Season 2 - Still watching it but if you liked S1 then S2 keeps it going.

Invasion on Apple - Are people liking this? It is well done and the use of sound is terrific but I have problems with shows when everyone keeps making the wrong or stupid decision. I will probably finish it.

Hawkeye - Its been fun.

In general I like music production docs.
    Get Back - I'm not a Beatles fan but thought that McCartney 321 on Hulu was good. I thought I'd try Get back E1 was good watching it split up into 3 or 4 parts but the first hour of E2 was really boring. It may be fun for fans but I quit and haven't gone back. I may go straight to E3 at some point.

Watch the Sound - I watched a couple and don't love it.

I rented the discs of Soundbreaking and I'm excited to start it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I agree. It was good but I didn't love it. If anyone is deciding between seeing this or Spiderman at the theater Spiderman wins easily.

Witcher Season 2 - Still watching it but if you liked S1 then S2 keeps it going.

Invasion on Apple - Are people liking this? It is well done and the use of sound is terrific but I have problems with shows when everyone keeps making the wrong or stupid decision. I will probably finish it.

Hawkeye - Its been fun.

In general I like music production docs.
    Get Back - I'm not a Beatles fan but thought that McCartney 321 on Hulu was good. I thought I'd try Get back E1 was good watching it split up into 3 or 4 parts but the first hour of E2 was really boring. It may be fun for fans but I quit and haven't gone back. I may go straight to E3 at some point.

Watch the Sound - I watched a couple and don't love it.

I rented the discs of Soundbreaking and I'm excited to start it.
    Before you pull the plug on Get Back, fire up part three and fast forward to the rooftop concert. The music interspersed with “(wo)man on the street” interviews below is really cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will.

I started Soundbreaking last night. E1 is good but the problem with having watched a bunch of these docs is that I want them more in depth. I want to see the production and great ideas happening not just 50 different people talking about what a music producer is. Get Back kinda has that but it is soooo long. McCartney 321 was good in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The missus and I have been slowly working our way through all seven seasons of The West Wing, Aaron Sorkin's 1999-2005 drama about a fictional White House where every employee is dedicated, altruistic, smart, and mind-bogglingly articulate. It's been bittersweet: We find ourselves not only wishing that real-life politics were more like that, but also lamenting that television programming in 2021 doesn't seem nearly as compelling as that. :(

But holy crap is it an excellent series! We watched it when it was originally broadcast on network TV but had forgotten a lot of the specifics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After nearly two years of non-stop WFH madness, I finally had a chance to relax a bit and indulge in streaming media. I'm sure all of these shows have been well covered here, but here's my $0.02...
    - Ted Lasso: The whole thing seems impossible, but here it is. Amazing.
    - Sex Education: If John Hughes made a high school TV show in England. The school chorus covers Peaches, c'mon.
    - Fleabag: Outstanding. Also - Where has Kristin Scott Thomas been hiding.
    - Get Back: Challenging to watch - requires viewer commitment and/or a high affinity for the Beatles. There is something remarkable about it - and yet it's what you might expect: Yoko hovering around the background, Paul relentlessly working away (and it *is* amazing to watch the birth of some songs where it seems at once laborious and also effortless), John strolling in late, George actively looking for a way to contribute... Made it through E1, will continue the slog at some point.
    - Don't Look Up: Great to watch a tremendous cast have at it. Ultimately, preaching to the choir.
    - Succession: Like Ted Lasso in that it's amazing that this show is even possible. The challenger platforms (Amazon, Apple, still Netflix) have given some very talented people a long leash and good things are happening. Succession is so good that I actually went back to read Lear for the first time in ~30 years, although that's not required context. Give it at least 4-5 episodes, you'll be hooked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Premier and Champions League Soccer

Quality drama
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

Quality drama
    EPL turning into "farmer's league" with Man City on track of winning last four of five. That said, I still watch it.

As for UCL, let's hope Pep forgets to filed a defensive mid again :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we loved the WW - I’ve seen it all the way through at least 3 times now.

My wife won’t watch it now though - not sure why but she holds some sort of grudge against it - turns out we were both listening to podcasts about it - mine enjoying watching it again and hers tearing it down.

It is idealistic but really well made and I often learned something new too which is fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

Quality drama
    I've been watching the FIS cross country races and the IBU biathlon competitions. Lots of competition. Plenty of drama. And I've changed my slingshot stance based on biathlon and the deer actually run now when they see me coming (used to wag their ass at me and go around to the other side of the house.) However, looks like, along with cyclocross, days of events might be numbered due to omicron spread. Currently no fans allowed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy watching the bad EPL teams as much as the good ones, the ones that if they could figure out how to make a pass in the last third of the field they'd be unbeatable. Not to mention its perfect trainer fodder. 45 minutes plus of uninterrupted content, fast forward through the break and then after the game I have time to meditate before starting the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I enjoy watching the bad EPL teams as much as the good ones, the ones that if they could figure out how to make a pass in the last third of the field they'd be unbeatable. Not to mention its perfect trainer fodder. 45 minutes plus of uninterrupted content, fast forward through the break and then after the game I have time to meditate before starting the day.
    I watched the first half of Man City vs Brentford on the Peloton, showered at halftime, then watched the second half with a beer in hand. Great way to spend the third to last afternoon of this danged year.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching the FIS cross country races and the IBU biathlon competitions. Lots of competition. Plenty of drama. And I've changed my slingshot stance based on biathlon and the deer actually run now when they see me coming (used to wag their ass at me and go around to the other side of the house.) However, looks like, along with cyclocross, days of events might be numbered due to omicron spread. Currently no fans allowed.
    Haven’t started this season’s IBU yet but I’m glad to see World Cup XC skiing is on something more than a ribbon of snow through dirt.

TTX1, yes Fleabag is outstanding. I’ll watch it again if I can talk my wife into joining me.

I’m just starting on Feel Good and Sex Education is in the queue. I think I’m burned out on the graphic violence options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on Fleabag, though I have to say as I watched the first episode I thought, damn, if that's what dating is like now, I don't have game.

Chelsea v Brighton was a corker. Nice to see all out effort on both sides.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post

Everyone makes the wrong or stupid decision? Sounds like the US right now and probably makes you uncomfortable. Knowing how we respond to threat, I am sure we'd doing even a worse job in real life.
    You should finish this.

BTW, I know the Expanse is a mix bag for a lot of people, but I think it is great. Final season 6 just started, and if you haven't watched, I'd binge all 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season 10 - Letterkenny dropped 12/26. How are you now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Everyone makes the wrong or stupid decision? Sounds like the US right now and probably makes you uncomfortable. Knowing how we respond to threat, I am sure we'd doing even a worse job in real life.
    You should finish this.

BTW, I know the Expanse is a mix bag for a lot of people, but I think it is great. Final season 6 just started, and if you haven't watched, I'd binge all 5.

You're probably right. I deal with stress differently than these characters so it can be frustrating to watch. I have other shows right now but will get back to it.

Expanse: The latest book just came out and I want to finish that before getting into this latest season. The show leaves out a lot of what makes the books good but it is still a good show. My wife has done the audiobooks for this series and the narrator is the worst. I prefer my dyslexia and kindle over that guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pitter Patter-

Letterkenny is some of the funniest stuff I have watched in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I came here to post this. Pheasants!

Finished it last night and hungry for more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching the FIS cross country races and the IBU biathlon competitions. Lots of competition. Plenty of drama.
    Where to find coverage of this? I am a total newb, but always been interested in the sport. Any pointers on how/where to start following?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Where to find coverage of this? I am a total newb, but always been interested in the sport. Any pointers on how/where to start following?
    I have an old Eurosport Player subscription that I now use with a VPN. I got it originally when I was back and forth from Europe more often. And location blocking wasn't as sophisticated. Not sure if you can get a new subscription outside of unblocked territory any longer, but if you can, you'd have to do it while using a VPN. Or next trip to England or Europe. I use Private Internet Access, which seems to work pretty well and has gotten good marks generally for security. The presenters are pretty good for cross country and biathlon, though one is rather infamous for asking women athletes about their weight, specifically Jess Diggins who has talked about struggling with eating disorders in the past. Kind of the old school adversarial English sports presenter that is more common I think in football. But the other is great, has a lot of experience to share, was actually an athlete or coach, and treats the racers with respect.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-01-2022 at 11:07 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books